Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeepItReal

Lamar Jackson Wonderlic Score = 13

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

According to the test,  a score of 13 makes him pretty much illiterate.  A perfect score is 50.  A score of 20 is average intelligence.  He will never be an established NFL QB.  The Ravens really botched this one.

Josh Allen, 37

Josh Rosen, 29

Sam Darnold, 28

Baker Mayfield, 25

Lamar Jackson, 13

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Wonderlic-scores-revealed-for-top-quarterback-prospects-in-2018-NFL-Draft-116830596

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_test

Ray Lewis scored a 13. Worked out well for him. Simeon Rice too.

Jim Kelley had a 15.

Blaine Gabbert had a 42.

Do I wish Jackson scored higher? Sure. Do I think it really matters? Not much.

Hopefully he'll learn the NFL offense from the sidelines this year and is ready for action in 2019.

Edited by Pickle20

I said in another thread that he did not sound very intelligent to me. It is a little worrisome but let's just hope he can overcome that a little bit. If I'm not mistaken, Cam Newton had a very low score as well.

Posted (edited)

He's an instinctive player and this is football after all. Rather have his instinct all day than Josh Allen's smarts.

Also the other guys get coached up and study for that test via their personnel team/agents. LJ is straight country- he hired his mom as his agent so you can garner he probably didn't prepare for taking this test. 

Either way - lets see what happens on the field. They need to construct /tailor the system around his strengths- of which he has many.

Edited by poefolks

Playing qb in the NFL is probably the toughest thing to do in sports from an intellectual standpoint .....

I've said on here many times that flacco looks like a dunce out there reading defenses and checking down . ...

He knows who he throwing to when he breaks the huddle .....

I've taken the wonderlic a few times....

The questions aren't hard per se but they can require several calculations in one problem and you only get 15 minutes for 50 questions .....

For example I remember one said a gallon of paint covered so many sq ft than gave you the dimensions of a building and asked how much paint you needed.....

Basic math but you have to do 3+ a minute .....

I did better than all those listed but didn't finish a few questions .....

There's been plenty of great football players who couldn't string two coherent sentences together if their life depended on it, so I'm not going to put a whole lot of importance on the test.  When he's behind center and playing football, he's electrifying has incredible athletic skills.  In my opinion, that puts him ahead of Flacco already.  

12 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Playing qb in the NFL is probably the toughest thing to do in sports from an intellectual standpoint .....

I've said on here many times that flacco looks like a dunce out there reading defenses and checking down . ...

He knows who he throwing to when he breaks the huddle .....

I've taken the wonderlic a few times....

The questions aren't hard per se but they can require several calculations in one problem and you only get 15 minutes for 50 questions .....

For example I remember one said a gallon of paint covered so many sq ft than gave you the dimensions of a building and asked how much paint you needed.....

Basic math but you have to do 3+ a minute .....

I did better than all those listed but didn't finish a few questions .....

So you would prefer Blaine Gabbert and his 42 over Jim Kelly and his 15? Or Lamar Jackson and his 13?

Give me the player with mad skillz.

I only evaluate NFL players based on their broad jump at the combine.

2 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

Dummies can't play QB in the NFL.  Neither can Intelligent people without being able to throw the ball accurately.

Jackson is both a dummy and inaccurate.  Oh he can run around like a fool until he gets busted up like RG III.  Running QB's rarely work out in the NFL, especially not ones that are as dumb as a fence post.

*Saved for future reference.

I scored 31. In retrospect, I would have guessed on the ones that required a lot of thought. No penalty for wrong answers per se.

5 minutes ago, Manny said:

I scored 31. In retrospect, I would have guessed on the ones that required a lot of thought. No penalty for wrong answers per se.

26. I spent too long trying to figure out the word problems.

I don't see how this makes one a better QB, except making it a little easier to learn a playbook, things that Lamar has done since high school.

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

26. I spent too long trying to figure out the word problems.

I don't see how this makes one a better QB, except making it a little easier to learn a playbook, things that Lamar has done since high school.

I want a QB to hit an open WR or TE. I want him to throw it away when necessary. I want him to lead the troops. His ability to solve algebraic equations is irrelevant. 

8 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I only evaluate NFL players based on their broad jump at the combine.

Doesn't everybody?

I'm more concerned about how he'll adapt to the NFL when he gets hit harder more often while running by bigger stronger defenders, and how the inevitable fatigue and injuries will impact his supposedly already questionable accuracy. 

1 hour ago, NCBirdfan said:

Doesn't everybody?

I'm pretty sure how they look in underwear is a much better indicator of future stardom. 🙃

20 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Dummies can't play QB in the NFL.  

Dummies throw three yard passes on 3rd down when you need six. Are there any NFL qbs that do that? I think we have one on the roster:rolleyes: 

11 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Dummies throw three yard passes on 3rd down when you need six. Are there any NFL qbs that do that? I think we have one on the roster:rolleyes: 

:lol:

13 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Flacco makes some dumb plays but, to be fair, you never liked him to begin with. Remember he was the “Towson killer!” You did however love Troy Smith, Steve McNair ( even in 2007) and now Lamar Jackson. There’s one factor you like most about QBs. Curiously that one factor is irrelevant when it comes to wins and losses.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Manny said:

Flacco makes some dumb plays but, to be fair, you never liked him to begin with. Remember he was the “Towson killer!” You did however love Troy Smith, Steve McNair ( even in 2007) and now Lamar Jackson. There’s one factor you like most about QBs. Curiously that one factor is irrelevant when it comes to wins and losses.

It's also interesting to see who doesn't think Lamar will be a successful QB, too.

Smith was a Hiesman winner and was better than Boller. McNair was a former MVP and led the team to its best record. There was a lot to like about them at the time.

Edited by Pickle20

Posted (edited)

A couple of right guesses, a couple of wrong guesses, .....had about twenty seconds left when finished, but really had to kick it in gear at one point. 

I'm quite good at math ....without needing calculator, and fairly good at word problems.   My wife has two Master's degrees, is far smarter than me, but is not good at math (but she is great at handling our finances).  Her score was 34.

In high school, I was a very good SS/LF, a fair point guard, a 3rd string QB for one year that was mostly inaccurate in practice. 

A QB basically has to know the playbook for each position as well as his own.  How he adjusts to a cover 2 stunt or zone blitz is more important than knowing what the sixth number is in a sequence, or the amount of jars needed for large and small candies.  ("Obtuse? What did you call me?")

Edited by ChippewaJoe

5 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

It's also interesting to see who doesn't think Lamar will be a successful QB, too.

Smith was a Hiesman winner and was better than Boller. McNair was a former MVP and led the team to its best record. There was a lot to like about them at the time.

Ken has a track record for what he likes in a QB. That factor is very important to him. I knows he’s your left wing comrade, but I called him out on his biased look on QBs. If you can, please point out a poster who was anti-McNair, Smith and Jackson who vehemently supported both Boller and Flacco. No one in this forum goes to the racial extreme as much as Ken.

24 minutes ago, Manny said:

Ken has a track record for what he likes in a QB. That factor is very important to him. I knows he’s your left wing comrade, but I called him out on his biased look on QBs. If you can, please point out a poster who was anti-McNair, Smith and Jackson who vehemently supported both Boller and Flacco. No one in this forum goes to the racial extreme as much as Ken.

Seems like you stalk Ken a lot, and you know who his "comrades" are...so you'd have a better idea about who thought what about X quarterback than I would.

BTW, left-wing...hahaha. Thanks for the laugh.