Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeepItReal

Lamar Jackson Wonderlic Score = 13

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I surmise a lot of folks excoriating Joe about his inability to “read a defense” could not tell you the difference between a vanilla nickel and dime without looking it up. It is easy to toss out a caustic dispersion like that from your living room couch with an ariel tv view of the field – then under center with a reconstructed knee, bad back, under performing receivers, and freakish 200 lb+ athletes with 0% body fat, 4.4 speed and the strength to bench press a pick-up truck ready to decapitate you under disguised schemes dreamed up by DCs like Lebeau, Phillips, Zimmer and Fangio.  There are very few people with the skillset, intellect and durability to play QB at any sustained duration with playoff caliber success in the NFL - much less 10+ years. Joe is in that class.  Joe is not at the top of the class for sure – but in the class.

I am not sure where this notion comes from that he does not work hard either.  Last year the guy played the first half of the season with a gimpy lower back. The year before the dude came back from a shredded knee and double ligament tear to start the first game. His rookie year he was playing with a thigh bruise the size of a basketball.  Joe is hot and cold, up and down - game to game and even series to series.  He’ll throw a bone-headed INT one drive and then light up a secondary with a 30 yard frozen rope through a tight window the next.  However, he shows up and has an intangible quality – call it ‘grit’ or ‘moxie’ – but the guy does not shrink in big moments. He can have a bad 3 ½ quarters – but in the final minutes the guy is chill money and one the better late game QBs in the NFL. Foxboro, Heinz Field, Mile High – the guy has won games in every AFC stadium in pressure moments over the last decade.  Last year he rolled into Heinz Field and hung 38 points only to see the D give up the game, ditto the year before when he drove them into the end zone in the final minute – only to watch the D let Antonio Brown stretch the ball over the goal line on the last play.  4th & 12 against Cincinnati last year – the D gives up the winning TD. If the D holds any of those 3 pressure games – we are talking about the Ravens making the playoffs the last three years instead of missing them 3 straight. They actually went 9-7 last year - which I thought was pretty good considering all the holes they were patching on the fly and most years would have been enough to qualify -but a lot of fans felt like they went 4-12. I actually thought they hit the ceiling as a middle of the pack team on their potential - vis-a-vis the other teams in their conference. The Ravens did not exactly have a stacked roster.

All that said – I am hoping Lamar is the future franchise QB and glad they drafted him.  It will be great to see if he can perform in the same pressure situations that Joe has demonstrated over the years. 

Edited by RestonRaven

I’m not going to read all of that, but there’s no denying Joe has been inconsistent his entire career and pretty average with the exception of his playoff run to the SB. Even that season prior to the playoffs he was nothing special. He’s definitely not playing like a QB worth $20M yearly. 

4 hours ago, RestonRaven said:

I surmise a lot of folks excoriating Joe about his inability to “read a defense” could not tell you the difference between a vanilla nickel and dime without looking it up. It is easy to toss out a caustic dispersion like that from your living room couch with an ariel tv view of the field – then under center with a reconstructed knee, bad back, under performing receivers, and freakish 200 lb+ athletes with 0% body fat, 4.4 speed and the strength to bench press a pick-up truck ready to decapitate you under disguised schemes dreamed up by DCs like Lebeau, Phillips, Zimmer and Fangio.  There are very few people with the skillset, intellect and durability to play QB at any sustained duration with playoff caliber success in the NFL - much less 10+ years. Joe is in that class.  Joe is not at the top of the class for sure – but in the class.

I am not sure where this notion comes from that he does not work hard either.  Last year the guy played the first half of the season with a gimpy lower back. The year before the dude came back from a shredded knee and double ligament tear to start the first game. His rookie year he was playing with a thigh bruise the size of a basketball.  Joe is hot and cold, up and down - game to game and even series to series.  He’ll throw a bone-headed INT one drive and then light up a secondary with a 30 yard frozen rope through a tight window the next.  However, he shows up and has an intangible quality – call it ‘grit’ or ‘moxie’ – but the guy does not shrink in big moments. He can have a bad 3 ½ quarters – but in the final minutes the guy is chill money and one the better late game QBs in the NFL. Foxboro, Heinz Field, Mile High – the guy has won games in every AFC stadium in pressure moments over the last decade.  Last year he rolled into Heinz Field and hung 38 points only to see the D give up the game, ditto the year before when he drove them into the end zone in the final minute – only to watch the D let Antonio Brown stretch the ball over the goal line on the last play.  4th & 12 against Cincinnati last year – the D gives up the winning TD. If the D holds any of those 3 pressure games – we are talking about the Ravens making the playoffs the last three years instead of missing them 3 straight. They actually went 9-7 last year - which I thought was pretty good considering all the holes they were patching on the fly and most years would have been enough to qualify -but a lot of fans felt like they went 4-12. I actually thought they hit the ceiling as a middle of the pack team on their potential - vis-a-vis the other teams in their conference. The Ravens did not exactly have a stacked roster.

All that said – I am hoping Lamar is the future franchise QB and glad they drafted him.  It will be great to see if he can perform in the same pressure situations that Joe has demonstrated over the years. 

Yawn.....

Joe is paid millions to read defenses......

Comparing his ability to do so to posters on this board is one of the dumbest posts ever ..... 

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yawn.....

Joe is paid millions to read defenses......

Comparing his ability to do so to posters on this board is one of the dumbest posts ever ..... 

Agreed.