Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Can a VGA cord carry power as well as video to a monitor?

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys

I'm always looking for computer stuff on the cheap and Goodwill is one of my favorite sources--  They have this monitor for $7.00-- I don't want to pass it up BUT----- it has no power cord nor a power socket that I can see- it has a hard wired VGA cord , an audio in for the built in speakers, and that's it as far as I can see for inputs of any type.  The audio jack is labeled "audio in"   and next to it its says   " VGA-------12 voltsDC" next to what looks like the standard type of VGA input socket for video.

Now, all the monitors I've ever had either have a built in power supply with a 3 prong standard  power socket or a jack for an external power adapter --   normally no problem  a bargain $7 for the monitor, maybe 3, 4 for an external adapter on e-bay but as i said I don't see where I'd plug it in on this one. Its a  Mag model 568 made by Innovision but I can't find any support for  it on their website.  

With this one, either for some reason I'm just not seeing a power jack, or maybe I just never knew that VGA cords can carry power as well as video? If so, do all vga output sockets have power too, or maybe this will work with only certain models of PC's?  Scratching my head on this one. Any ideas?

Edited by Saticon3

The vga standard has some pins which are marked as NC which means "no connection". These pins have been used for various non-standard functions in the past.

Usually these NC pins get used by KVM switches which use cables that break out to USB on one end. Yours might be a very well take power but good luck finding the right cable.

Thanks-- the cable is attached, permanently, hard wired--- so from what you're saying  two pins could be dedicated to power, BUT I guess I would have to find a particular PC that has the same set up -- i.e.  two pins from the output vga socket configured for power-- or, maybe I can identify which pins and somehow adapt/splice in 12vdc.........

someone else told me it may have been a specialty monitor like specifically matched to a particular computer- which would make sens given what dogs says about the optional pins built into a vga plug--- I don't need the monitor,  its just like a hobby thing-- I'm thinking of getting it and opening it up and making a power jack for it--- just toi do it.