Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

2017 MD HS Football All State teams - Still missing in action?

8 posts in this topic

Its in early May and we STILL HAVE NO SIGNS of the Maryland High School Football All State teams!  Not even sure what is that all about.  Where is JMT?  Hope he can shine a light on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheldon Shealer who had been lieading and compiling the teams for years was said to be stepping away from football and I believe  focusing on lacrosse. I guess no one else has stepped forward to take over.

JMT used to post his teams as well and they were always well done but he didn't do his either this season......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, araiderfan said:

Sheldon Shealer who had been lieading and compiling the teams for years was said to be stepping away from football and I believe  focusing on lacrosse. I guess no one else has stepped forward to take over.

JMT used to post his teams as well and they were always well done but he didn't do his either this season......

Oh well...thankful for the years that Mr. Shealer provided the All State Teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, ShoNuff07 said:

Its in early May and we STILL HAVE NO SIGNS of the Maryland High School Football All State teams!  Not even sure what is that all about.  Where is JMT?  Hope he can shine a light on this.

I think in the spirit of the era and to make sure that no one is offended I think every player will get an All State Participation award. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JMT posted this on the MoCofootball forum......
 

"If there had been a 2017 All-State team, one ballot would have looked an awful lot like this"


Consensus 1st Team Offense

WR Daniel George (Oxon Hill)
WR Tyrese Chambers (Poly)
WR Ethon WIlliams (Broadneck)
OL Rasheed Walker (North Point)
OL Michael Jurgens (Damascus)
OL Jordan Funk (Damascus)
OL Caelan Shepherd (Broadneck)
OL Darian Dalcourt (St. Frances)
QB Doc Bonner (Quince Orchard)
RB Karson Robinette (Allegany)
RB David Bailey (North Caroline)
RB Brandon Madison (Gilman)
AP Desmond Shell (Milford Mill)
K Stephen Oscar (JM Bennett)


Consensus 1st Team Defense

DL Luke Hamilton (Ft. Hill)
DL Eyabi Anoma (St. Frances)
DL Ja'mion Franklin (North Caroline)
DL Jamree Kromah (Flowers)
LB Ryan Kearney (Howard)
LB Kyle Klink (Middletown)
LB Durell Nchami (Paint Branch)
LB Shane Lee (St. Frances)
DB AJ Lytton (Wise)
DB Jacob Wetzel (Walkersville)
DB Ray Boone (Eleanor Roosevelt)
DB Christian McDowell (Edgewood)
P Cooper McGeehan (River Hill)

 

Consensus 2nd Team Offense

WR Curtis Jacobs (McDonogh)
WR Randy Fields (St. Frances)
WR Malik Lawrence (North Point)
OL Ethan Parrish (Walkersville)
OL Christian Haynes (Bowie)
OL Reggie Dillon (Long Reach)
OL Austin Fontaine (DeMatha)
OL Evan Gregory (DeMatha)
QB Jared Lewis (Dunbar)
RB Devin Dawkins (Howard)
RB Joaquim Bangda (St. France)
RB Antwan Squire (Suitland)
AP Juwon Farri (Northwest)
K Clay Harris (Havre de Grace)


Consensus 2nd Team Defense

 
DL Malik Hamm (City)
DL Dwayne Johnson (Dunbar)
DL PJ Mustipher (McDonogh)
DL Jalen Green (Good Counsel)
LB Sean Greeley (Havre de Grace)
LB Chance Campbell (Calvert Hall)
LB Nicholas Synder (Chopticon)
LB Christian Policelli (Walkersville)
DB Jalen Williams (Landon)
DB Terrell Smith (St. Frances)
DB Matt McDonald (MSJ)
DB Demetri Morsell (Wise)
P Mohamed M'Baye (Gwynn Park)


Read more: http://mocofb.com/thread/1080/all-state#ixzz5EeuHNYin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, nomad974 said:

JMT posted this on the MoCofootball forum......
 

"If there had been a 2017 All-State team, one ballot would have looked an awful lot like this"


Consensus 1st Team Offense

WR Daniel George (Oxon Hill)
WR Tyrese Chambers (Poly)
WR Ethon WIlliams (Broadneck)
OL Rasheed Walker (North Point)
OL Michael Jurgens (Damascus)
OL Jordan Funk (Damascus)
OL Caelan Shepherd (Broadneck)
OL Darian Dalcourt (St. Frances)
QB Doc Bonner (Quince Orchard)
RB Karson Robinette (Allegany)
RB David Bailey (North Caroline)
RB Brandon Madison (Gilman)
AP Desmond Shell (Milford Mill)
K Stephen Oscar (JM Bennett)


Consensus 1st Team Defense

DL Luke Hamilton (Ft. Hill)
DL Eyabi Anoma (St. Frances)
DL Ja'mion Franklin (North Caroline)
DL Jamree Kromah (Flowers)
LB Ryan Kearney (Howard)
LB Kyle Klink (Middletown)
LB Durell Nchami (Paint Branch)
LB Shane Lee (St. Frances)
DB AJ Lytton (Wise)
DB Jacob Wetzel (Walkersville)
DB Ray Boone (Eleanor Roosevelt)
DB Christian McDowell (Edgewood)
P Cooper McGeehan (River Hill)

 

Consensus 2nd Team Offense

WR Curtis Jacobs (McDonogh)
WR Randy Fields (St. Frances)
WR Malik Lawrence (North Point)
OL Ethan Parrish (Walkersville)
OL Christian Haynes (Bowie)
OL Reggie Dillon (Long Reach)
OL Austin Fontaine (DeMatha)
OL Evan Gregory (DeMatha)
QB Jared Lewis (Dunbar)
RB Devin Dawkins (Howard)
RB Joaquim Bangda (St. France)
RB Antwan Squire (Suitland)
AP Juwon Farri (Northwest)
K Clay Harris (Havre de Grace)


Consensus 2nd Team Defense

 
DL Malik Hamm (City)
DL Dwayne Johnson (Dunbar)
DL PJ Mustipher (McDonogh)
DL Jalen Green (Good Counsel)
LB Sean Greeley (Havre de Grace)
LB Chance Campbell (Calvert Hall)
LB Nicholas Synder (Chopticon)
LB Christian Policelli (Walkersville)
DB Jalen Williams (Landon)
DB Terrell Smith (St. Frances)
DB Matt McDonald (MSJ)
DB Demetri Morsell (Wise)
P Mohamed M'Baye (Gwynn Park)


Read more: http://mocofb.com/thread/1080/all-state#ixzz5EeuHNYin

Thanks, nomad.

I'd say great minds think alike, others may just say themamba and JMT think alike, at least as far as this list goes. We both agree on the top 2 MPSSAA quarterbacks, the top 3 MPSSAA running backs, the top 4 MPSSAA wide receivers, and the top 5 MPSSAA offensive lineman, and all in the same order other than Parrish (Walkersville) and Shepherd (Broadneck) flip-flopped as the 4 and 5 OL. In fact, the only player he has on his either his first team offense or defense that I don't have on mine is Middletown's two-way standout Kyle Klink, who is headed to Harvard. 

If I add the privates, I'd have the same exact 1st team Offense. I could go either Madison or Dawkins as the third RB. On defense, If I added the privates, I'd have the same exact 1st team Defense, outside of the aforementioned Klink, replaced by Poling at Fort Hill. We both have the same four in the secondary. We have the same two return men/AP, Shell and Farri.

I've always looked forward to JMT's posts, and the knowledge he shares. And I too looked forward to the MD Writers All-State teams. It would be a shame if it were become a thing of the past. 

What is noticable is the lack of private placements on the first team. 23 of the 27 players played in the MPSSAA last season. This is just one writers opinion, but I believe JMT has had a good a grip on the state as anyone, for a long while. The MD Writers All-State team hasn't been a list that has skewed that public in the history of the list, dating back to '99. Even in at the turn of the century, when the public players were making up 75%-80% of the All-State teams ('99 23/30, '00 24/30), they never made up 85% (23/27) of the team.

Having what could have been the lowest representaion on the All-State team in its 19 year history, I still believe that to be certainly an anomoly, rather than a trend. From the time the MD Football Writers Consensus All-State 1st team was established, in '99, through 2010, the public players made up just more than 70% of those first 12 All-State teams, collectively. It wasn't until 2010 that the privates had at least a dozen players on the team. Then, in 2011, the privates went 5 straight years having more players on the first team than the publics, despite having a small fraction of the total amount of teams - '11 17/30, '12 17/30, '13 17/30, '14 16/30, '15 16/30. In '16, the MPSSAA tilt the balance just slightly, placing 15 on the 29 man team, before the projected profound imbalance of '17.

It should be noted, it was around 2010 that many teams stepped up the recruiting war, and more resources were poured into their respective programs. These 5 years featured nationally ranked Good Counsel, Gilman, and DeMatha teams.

I think it just reflects on an off year for the MD privates (save for SFA), that many objective observers agreed upon. And thats okay.

 

Edited by themamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mr. Shealer was/is deeply involved with soccer recruiting as well and I believe is the creator of a website that is very similar to rivals & 247. He's done a lot at a state and national level for many athletes. Without him we wouldn't have that database of MD football stats either.. Surprised he's now taking on lacrosse too, but I know he's been around it a lot recently with his other job at an MD sportsplex. 

He's a really busy guy, still hope to see the all state teams in the future.. If not I'd give you the nod mamba. I've checked on this forum around playoff time for the past 9 years and you've always represented the state well.

Edited by Diesel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0