Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Thousands of Honduran refugees to be deported

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The key is TEMPORARY protected status.

Edited by retired

The whole program is ridiculous and should be retooled to include a path to permanent status. 'Temporary' yeah sure, but life has this way of going on despite everything. Should the people who come here temporarily just sit around and do nothing? Not get jobs, not get married, not have children?

These are people we should want here!

Hondurans with protected status have 53,500 American-born children; 85 percent participate in the labor force, compared with 63 percent of the overall United States population, and nearly 20 percent have mortgages.

This is the kind of stuff that serves as proof that the current iteration of the GOP is just plain anti-immigration... PERIOD.  Don't let them fool you with trying to make distinctions between legal and illegal... they are just plain anti-immigration and I suspect that is because the immigrants are getting more and more brown

15 hours ago, retired said:

So, explain to all of us here exactly what pressing issue this move is addressing?  Surely if you're going to upend the lives of almost a million people there would be a real reason to do it.  There has to be some impending crisis, or on-going issue that is being addressed?  Can any trump supporter point it out for us?  Because to most of us this just seems arbitrary and mean and meant only to appease the xenophobic and racist rube faction of his base

It's not only an inhumane policy, it's stupid one, based on nothing more than ignorance and bigotry. 

17 hours ago, retired said:

Some of these people have lived in the US for 20 years

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Well then it's about time they learn the meaning of temporary, isn't it ......

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, soulflower said:

And truth be told that’s not likely to change for the foreseeable future.  As much as Trump does this stuff for his base, democrats use this stuff to whip up their base. More than likely, the majority of these people aren’t going anywhere any time soon. 

Edited by bmore_ken

59 minutes ago, hst2 said:

ignorance and bigotry

That might be the 2020 re election theme.

Ignorance and Bigotry 2020!! 

57 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Well then it's about time they learn the meaning of temporary, isn't it ......

It’s not their fault that they’ve been allowed to stay in the US indefinitely 

Posted (edited)

https://theconversation.com/how-us-policy-in-honduras-set-the-stage-for-todays-mass-migration-65935

By 1914, U.S. banana interests owned almost 1 million acres of Honduras’ best land. These holdings grew through the 1920s to such an extent that, as LaFeber asserts, Honduran peasants “had no hope of access to their nation’s good soil.” Over a few decades, U.S. capital also came to dominate the country’s banking and mining sectors, a process facilitated by the weak state of Honduras’ domestic business sector. This was coupled with direct U.S. political and military interventions to protect U.S. interests in 

1907 and 1911.

Such developments made Honduras’ ruling class dependent on Washington for support. A central component of this ruling class was and remains the Honduran military. By the mid-1960s it had become, in LaFeber’s words, the country’s “most developed political institution,” – one that Washington played a key role in shaping.

You know what else is not temporary? The United States meddling and dominating Honduras government and economic infrastructure 

Edited by Dinglehopper

15 minutes ago, soulflower said:

It’s not their fault that they’ve been allowed to stay in the US indefinitely 

Well that's the point isn't it ....

I disagree with all of trumps economic plans, think he's vulgar and an idiot but do believe it's time we started enforcing our immigration laws ....

Just playing the race card every time you disagree with someone is intellectually lazy ....

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

I disagree with all of trumps economic plans, think he's vulgar and an idiot but do believe it's time we started enforcing our immigration laws ....

Just playing the race card every time you disagree with someone is intellectually lazy ....

I agree with everything you posted there.  As much of an idiot I think Trump is, he’s not responsible for prior administrations inaction. If someone has been here temporarily twenty years, it’s the fault of successive administrations and congresses, both democrats and republicans. 

Edited by bmore_ken

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Not recognizing the value these immigrants add to our economy is also intellectually lazy. 

13 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Not recognizing the value these immigrants add to our economy is also intellectually lazy. 

There's only so much crab meat to pick .......

16 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

There's a downside as well.....

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Bigotry is the only excuse I could come up with for doing things on immigration which go against our economic interests 

Edited by soulflower

3 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

There's a downside as well.....

I guess it's a secret. 

1 minute ago, Dinglehopper said:

I didn’t say that he has.  

Then why bring it up in the context of this story? 

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Then why bring it up in the context of this story? 

Because (as I am sure you know) the economic situation in Honduras was in many ways created by our foreign policy and economic domination of the country.  

Or is your position that a US President should only react to problems that they themselves created??

Edited by Dinglehopper