Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

The race is ON!

42 posts in this topic

They actually have a shot.  This team has an ACTUAL SHOT at the top overall pick!

They're so much worse than even I thought was possible, but they now LEAD THE MAJOR LEAGUES IN LOSSES!

O's:  8-26

Reds:  8-25

Chisox:  9-23

They're actually doing it!  This is going to be the most exciting race to the finish for the O's in years!

They were gonna compete for the second wild card!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA!

Their pythagorean record is 10-24 though. So things are looking up.

12-45 since being three games above .500 last September.

This year, they have a ways to go to match my woeful Tigers of 2003.  They'd have to go 35-93 to match that team's futility ('winning' percentage of .265)....  or the '16 A's (36-117) .235 winning percentage.....which is the O's winning percentage for this season.  

O's (mis)management picked the perfect season NOT to allow free games to be telecast on the air, didn't they?   They deserve everything they're getting.

It amazing that a team issues an IBB to pitch to their opponent's clean up hitter.  Actually, it's amazing that Davis at the 4 spot after doing so well there on Saturday (0-5, 3Ks).

I think once we have some folks back from injury and our starting pitching starts to gel, this team will be much better than this start.

TM

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

What an asinine thread.

But in a funny, morbid way, it's entertaining.  We might as well root for something! (LOL) 

6 hours ago, TravisMoon said:

I think once we have some folks back from injury and our starting pitching starts to gel, this team will be much better than this start.

TM

Nice to see yo posting but the starting pitching won't gel until 2020.

7 hours ago, TravisMoon said:

TM

?????

What folks back from injury?

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

?????

What folks back from injury?

Schoop and Britton are the two significant players that are disabled right now,

There is also Rasmus ( who was awful) who will likely replace Santander when he has his time in.

This is still a bad team with or without these guys. 

What you see is what you are getting.

If the Os had a long-term strategy like the Cubs and Astros did a few years ago, finishing in Last place might make sense

6 minutes ago, soulflower said:

If the Os had a long-term strategy like the Cubs and Astros did a few years ago, finishing in Last place might make sense

Those owners wanted to win, and saw the rationale behind punting. Angelos doesn't have that kind of foresight. He only sees the immediate. He has never truly committed to a rebuild, I see no reason why he would go for one now. 

28 minutes ago, soulflower said:

To do this, they'd have to start by canning a ton of people and starting pretty much from scratch.

Only a new front office can be trusted with such a strategy.

Unfortunately, I doubt all that happens during the season, meaning the rebuild that should be already underway gets pushed back even farther.

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Those owners wanted to win, and saw the rationale behind punting. Angelos doesn't have that kind of foresight. He only sees the immediate. He has never truly committed to a rebuild, I see no reason why he would go for one now. 

With the stadium empty almost every single home game, I don’t see how he has a choice. 

They have to put a competitive team on the field to make people want to come to the games

Best thing to do is have a fire sale, get some good draft picks and rebuild...

Edited by soulflower

40 minutes ago, soulflower said:

With the stadium empty almost every single home game, I don’t see how he has a choice. 

They have to put a competitive team on the field to make people want to come to the games

Best thing to do is have a fire sale, get some good draft picks and rebuild...

I totally agree, but he has such a sweet set up with MASN and the cable/satellite companies, that empty seats barely register with him, financially speaking. Trust me, I've followed this team and their financial constructs for many years. The O's are nothing more than one of his business holdings. And the minority owners are all in step with him. 

Does anyone realize that this team hasn't won on the road since April 8th in New York and they've lost 12 in a row?  The 1988 Orioles and their 107 losses finished 20-61 on the road for a .247 Pct.  With their current 3-16 record away from home, all they have to do is go 16-46 the rest of the way to break that mark.  Seems reasonable to me. 

4 hours ago, russsnyder said:

Schoop and Britton are the two significant players that are disabled right now,

There is also Rasmus ( who was awful) who will likely replace Santander when he has his time in.

This is still a bad team with or without these guys. 

What you see is what you are getting.

It was my mistake for responding to a worthless troll. Sorrry!

9 minutes ago, pitbull said:

It was my mistake for responding to a worthless troll. Sorrry!

No need to apologize, it's all good.

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

I totally agree, but he has such a sweet set up with MASN and the cable/satellite companies, that empty seats barely register with him, financially speaking. Trust me, I've followed this team and their financial constructs for many years. The O's are nothing more than one of his business holdings. And the minority owners are all in step with him. 

In a related twitter thread....

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Norman said:

In a related twitter thread....

It's strange how the two seasons are parallel. Like Pete said, I would be surprised if this group gets the same support that the '88 team got.  

Edited by weird-O

Posted (edited)

The 1988 team was 5 years removed from winning a WS.

That would be like winning a WS in 2013. I think the support may be there if that happened.

But it's 30 years later. The whole attendance issue has changed in so many ways.

Oh, and the pad attendance may be 10K but there will be maybe 4K actually there and that's generous.

Edited by Pickle20

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

That would be like winning a WS in 2013. I think the support may be there if that happened.

But it's 30 years later. The whole attendance issue has changed in so many ways.

Oh, and the pad attendance may be 10K but there will be maybe 4K actually there and that's generous.

All good points. 

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

It all comes down to ownership.And many fans are still pissed about the Wild Card game Buck gave away by not pitching Britton. 

18 hours ago, mdrunning said:

What an asinine thread.

I’ve seen worse.

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

It all comes down to ownership.And many fans are still pissed about the Wild Card game Buck gave away by not pitching Britton. 

I’m still pissed that we only had one hit after the third inning in that contest. But fans don’t seem to remember that simple fact about our one-dimensional offense.

Edited by pitbull