Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outerbanks

Damaging column on who is to blame

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

In the excerpts I've seen from Rosenthal plus all the other national and local articles I've seen on the O's mess, Buck continues to get a free pass.  Its like he can only do so much with the players he was given.  And Buck can name his job for next year whether its manager or the FO.  I can see this from MASN or the SUN, but its hard to believe the National media doesn't realize Buck is the most powerful guy in the organization below the Angelos 3.  And he seems to have zero accountability with this mess.  Unreal.   Maybe there was more in the Rosenthal article I didn't see.  But geez, Buck has a big part of this mess and he seems to be Teflon.

I didn't see the Connolly article. Any Buck criticism in there?

No, not really. According to Connolly, Buck's contract status is a formality. He'll be back next season if he wants to be back--and he's said publicly that he does.

There is mention, however, that Buck doesn't get the same respect or response out of his players that he did in, say, 2012 or 2014. Unlike his predecessor, Dave Trembley, who got canned after a 15-39 start, Buck has more juice with the front office, however.

Here's the link, if you're interested.

Edited by mdrunning

That article has lots of insight and codifying of what many of us already suspected. 

The Wild card game is still a hangover on this organization. 

Posted (edited)

Duquette has been here since November 2011.  Going in to opening day, their farm system was so productive over the last 6+ years, under his guidance, that they carried 3 different recent Rule 5 acquisitions on their major league roster.  As folks get injured, and the key pieces of the core he inherited age / decline / go away (in a manner which Dan rarely if ever receives anything of value in return for), the call-ups and next wave have largely been an assortment of names who even ardent followers have sometimes never heard of, and very well may never play any part of another season in the majors outside of Baltimore.  The terrible results on the starting pitching side started long before the supposed takeover of influence / responsibility, and the one-dimensional June - August offensive philosophy did as well.   Dan "we don't like the cutter" Duquette has steered the direction of the organization since 2011 (along with Buck), I just don't buy the "it's everybody else's fault now" idea.

What we've seen through 35 games so far this year started with a 4-19 close to last season.

Edited by Ravens2006

If, as that article implies, Brady is being elevated to a kind of titular GM, making all the sexy decisions but delegating all the quotidian paperwork to underlings, then I don't have much hope for the future of the O's as a competitive concern. I think Anderson has his role, and I think he's a reasonably smart guy (just because he's buffed doesn't mean he's dumb), but he doesn't seem to have the stick-to-it-tive-ness, attention to detail, etc. to be a real, not to mention real effective, GM. 

But what do I know? 

6 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Duquette has been here since November 2011.  Going in to opening day, their farm system was so productive over the last 6+ years, under his guidance, that they carried 3 different recent Rule 5 acquisitions on their major league roster.  As folks get injured, and the key pieces of the core he inherited age / decline / go away (in a manner which Dan rarely if ever receives anything of value in return for), the call-ups and next wave have largely been an assortment of names who even ardent followers have sometimes never heard of, and very well may never play any part of another season in the majors outside of Baltimore.  The terrible results on the starting pitching side started long before the supposed takeover of influence / responsibility, and the one-dimensional June - August offensive philosophy did as well.   Dan "we don't like the cutter" Duquette has steered the direction of the organization since 2011 (along with Buck), I just don't buy the "it's everybody else's fault now" idea.

What we've seen through 35 games so far this year started with a 4-19 close to last season.

^^^ THIS ^^^

17 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

There are several media outlets, analysts and former employees that have written/spoken about the hierarchy of the warehouse, and how DD has been removed from any independent decision making. None of these outlets or analysts are connected to each other. Some are local, some are national. You don't think there's any truth to what's being said/written about how the FO is structured? Because, if none of what they're writing/saying is true, then it has to be labeled a conspiracy to exonerate DD and paint Buck and Brady as the problem. Unless there's a third possibility that I'm not thinking of.

I think Duquette is being “punished” for daring to want a promotion from the Blue Jays. As such he is no longer trusted, but Angelos doesn’t want him to get paid after firing him. Therefore he is holding him hostage. Duquette probably doesn’t care. He has a well paying and stress-free job as a warm body. 

18 minutes ago, Manny said:

I think Duquette is being “punished” for daring to want a promotion from the Blue Jays. As such he is no longer trusted, but Angelos doesn’t want him to get paid after firing him. Therefore he is holding him hostage. Duquette probably doesn’t care. He has a well paying and stress-free job as a warm body. 

Agree.  Big Dan has his feet propped on his desk, Blue Jay slippers on, and he is laughing at the mess Brady and Buck have made worse.  DD sure helped the slide though.  But Brady and Buck are just paralyzed to make any moves due to loyalty and friendship.  Plus anything they suggest is probably put in the bottom of the Angelos 3 in box.  

Posted (edited)

On 5/9/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ravens2006 said:

While it's certainly true that there's a correlation and this season's disaster, the causation is the somewhat limited resources with which Duquette had had to work. It has nothing to do with cut fastballs, either.

The Orioles reportedly have one of the smallest scouting departments in the majors, and according Rich Dubroff on The Fan this morning, they only have three (count 'em) international scouts. If they're ever going to compete consistently with the likes of the Red Sox and Yankees--both of whom have huge presences in Latin America--that simply has to change. Combine a Lilliputian scouting department with the fact that the Orioles virtually punt on international signings every year, and the only things left are Rule 5's and whatever scraps can be found on the waiver wire. That runs in direct conflict to Duquette's talent-procurement style at his previous stops.

As a recent column put it, Duquette's fingerprints are all over this current roster, but it's also true his hands have been somewhat tied.

Edited by mdrunning

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

While it's certainly true that there's a correlation and this season's disaster, the causation is the somewhat limited resources with which Duquette had had to work. It has nothing to do with cut fastballs, either.

The Orioles reportedly have one of the smallest scouting departments in the majors, and according Rich Dubroff on The Fan this morning, they only have three (count 'em) international scouts. If they're ever going to compete consistently with the likes of the Red Sox and Yankees--both of whom have huge presences in Latin America--that simply has to change. Combine a Lilliputian scouting department with the fact that the Orioles virtually punt on international signings every year, and the only things left are Rule 5's and whatever scraps can be found on the waiver wire. That runs in direct conflict to Duquette's talent-procurement style at his previous stops.

As a recent column put it, Duquette's fingerprints are all over this current roster, but it's also true his hands have been somewhat tied.

People say that Buck is stuck with the resources he is given.  The same is true of Duquette.  Which all leads to one place, and we all know where that is.  You could bring a reanimated Branch Rickey to Baltimore, and I'd bet the results would be very similar to those of the past 25 years.