Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCBirdfan

The Orioles Need A Complete Overhaul

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It’s rare to be able to say in early May that a club that planned on contending is effectively eliminated from the playoffs, but that’s the case for the Orioles. Both Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus list Baltimore’s playoff odds at zero percent. They’re one of two teams, along with the Reds, to hold that distinction. Some fans don’t love postseason odds based on projection systems, though, so let’s present the uphill battle they’re facing in another manner.

In order even to reach the 85-win mark — that was enough for the Twins to sneak into the second Wild Card spot last season — the Orioles would need to go 77-51 through season’s end. (Realistically, it’ll likely take more than 85 wins, but I’ll stick with that for the purposes of this basic exercise.) That 77-51 record would represent a .601 winning percentage. Only three teams in baseball have played above a .600 clip so far in the year, and two of them — the Yankees and Red Sox — are in the Orioles’ division.

Whoever is calling the shots for the O’s, there are multiple organizational philosophies that need an upheaval. Most glaring and baffling is Baltimore’s seeming refusal to spend any money international prospects. Each year, the Orioles routinely trade away their international bonus allotments for fringe prospects and fringe big leaguers. None of those moves have yielded a quality regular to this point, and a large reason that the team’s farm system is in such disrepair is a bizarre decision to sit out one of the primary avenues of amateur talent acquisition.

It all starts from the top-down. Until the owner and his sons realize that they need to invest on much more than free agents for the ML club, it would be a complete miracle for the Orioles to get to the World Series let alone win it. This once-proud franchise is mostly doomed.

Edited by NCBirdfan

The first sentence of the article says it all.

"The Baltimore Orioles are not good."

11 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

It’s rare to be able to say in early May that a club that planned on contending is effectively eliminated from the playoffs, but that’s the case for the Orioles. Both Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus list Baltimore’s playoff odds at zero percent. They’re one of two teams, along with the Reds, to hold that distinction. Some fans don’t love postseason odds based on projection systems, though, so let’s present the uphill battle they’re facing in another manner.

In order even to reach the 85-win mark — that was enough for the Twins to sneak into the second Wild Card spot last season — the Orioles would need to go 77-51 through season’s end. (Realistically, it’ll likely take more than 85 wins, but I’ll stick with that for the purposes of this basic exercise.) That 77-51 record would represent a .601 winning percentage. Only three teams in baseball have played above a .600 clip so far in the year, and two of them — the Yankees and Red Sox — are in the Orioles’ division.

Whoever is calling the shots for the O’s, there are multiple organizational philosophies that need an upheaval. Most glaring and baffling is Baltimore’s seeming refusal to spend any money international prospects. Each year, the Orioles routinely trade away their international bonus allotments for fringe prospects and fringe big leaguers. None of those moves have yielded a quality regular to this point, and a large reason that the team’s farm system is in such disrepair is a bizarre decision to sit out one of the primary avenues of amateur talent acquisition.

It all starts from the top-down. Until the owner and his sons realize that they need to invest on much more than free agents for the ML club, it would be a complete miracle for the Orioles to get to the World Series let alone win it. This once-proud franchise is mostly doomed.

You aren't getting rid of the owners, so we can all just face that fact.  So the next best thing is to get rid of DD and Buck like yesterday.  You don't want these guys anywhere near any rebuild decisions.  DD and Buck with their guys and their past track records.  They have screwed the pooch the last 2 years.  Good Bye. Brady is in the mix too , but I doubt the Baby Bros can part with their BFF.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

You aren't getting rid of the owners, so we can all just face that fact.  So the next best thing is to get rid of DD and Buck like yesterday.  You don't want these guys anywhere near any rebuild decisions.  DD and Buck with their guys and their past track records.  They have screwed the pooch the last 2 years.  Good Bye. Brady is in the mix too , but I doubt the Baby Bros can part with their BFF.

The thing the article proves (or it may be circumstantial) is that  DD's influence faded in recent years and the Orioles have not been competing for anything because of it. Is there any GM that could come in and right this ship? My thinking is "No!"

Rosenthal and others have reported on the shifting dynamic in the team’s front office, with vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson said to be taking on greater responsibility and Duquette’s influence fading.

Edited by NCBirdfan

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

The thing the article proves (or it may be circumstantial) is that ever since DD's influence faded the Orioles have not been competing for anything. Is there any GM that could come in and right this ship. My thinking is "No!"

We'll never know unless we try.  DD is a dead man walking so get rid of him now.  No reason to have him anywhere near re-build or re-tool discussions.  My expectations are another re-tool since the starting pitching looks decent for the next couple years.  And Buck is just the worst guy to have hanging around.  You will change nothing if he has input.  Let Brady be the figure head VP of Baseball Operations and hire a new GM to do the player personnel stuff.  Heck I'd take Brain Graham just to have someone else if the Baby Bros are scared to get outside their comfort zone.  And you know they are scared.    And hire Jason Varitek to be manager.  The whole key is to get rid of Buck lock stock and barrel.  His idea of good players is Tilly, Wright, Rasmus, Davis, Alvarez, Gentry , Joseph ect ect.  Plus his on field decisions are just terrible now.  Batting Davis lead-off and clean up, moving Manny to short, starting Tilly over and over, keeping Wright.  He is just terrible and I can't believe he keeps getting a free pass from most of the media.

Buck's record the last year says he is a terrible manager.  He can't run from that.  Your record says what you are, period!

4 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Buck's record the last year says he is a terrible manager.  He can't run from that.  Your record says what you are, period!

61-101 in the last 162.

A few years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you, but there is a time for change and no better time than now. But I'm not hopeful that it will change the whole way things are run in the organization. Nobody of quality wants to work for the Orioles.

Showalter 100% needs to go. He’s finished. And at this point I’m just losing respect for him. Duquette obviously needs to go also and from the little I know about Brady’s influence/ impact he should be showed the door as well. That would be a good start.  

Everyone needs to go. From Angelos down to the ushers.

Time for a complete overhaul.

EVERYONE IS GETTING ON BOARD!  YES!

8 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

A few years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you, but there is a time for change and no better time than now. But I'm not hopeful that it will change the whole way things are run in the organization. Nobody of quality wants to work for the Orioles.

Yes same here.  I was a huge Buck guy.  He was the main reason this team had the best record in the AL for what 4 or 5 years running.  And DD was a part of that too.  But he got his power cut and also him and Buck clashed over player moves.  Not sure they are even on speaking terms now.  Buck, he got even more power hungry on player personnel and he also got too close to his guys that he couldn't be objective.  He has lost this ship.

Until there is an overhaul of the ownership, it'll just continue to be the SSDY.

1 minute ago, Thirteen said:

Until there is an overhaul of the ownership, it'll just continue to be the SSDY.

Unfortunately you just posted a whole lotta truth there.

3 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Probably true, but we did go to the ALCS in 2014 with a fully functional GM and Manager. that worked together. Owners were same as today I think.

All you need to know about Buck in 2018 is that he continues to start Tillman with a 10 ERA and bat Davis clean up when he has 4 extra base hits in like 110 ABs and is batting .180. Also striking out close to 40% now.  Buck's guys, LOL!!!!   Davis bats clean up soon after he publicly complains to the press about the offense.  Grow some Buck and make this guy a part time platoon player for a while.

Buck has gone soft.  Letting his players run the team.  Manny forces way to short, he bends to Davis on where he bats, continues to let Tilly start because he personally likes him.  These are all fireable offenses when your team is what 8-26.  Dreadful moves.  Have all backfired and have cost this team wins.

50 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Do you think he 2017 team was playoff caliber? The majority of fans do not (see also: pitching rotation, one-dimensional offense, etc).

21 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Probably true, but we did go to the ALCS in 2014 with a fully functional GM and Manager. that worked together. Owners were same as today I think.

Stopped clocks, blind squirrels, and all that.

37 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Agreed. 100%

38 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Yeah!  And the hot dog vendor over in section 216 keeps putting the wrong condiments on the red hots.

Posted (edited)

Nothing good can be accomplished without cashiering anyone involved in this mess.

It's probably going to be five months before we get to that point, if it even happens.

Shoulda started after 2016.

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut

24 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Do you think he 2017 team was playoff caliber? The majority of fans do not (see also: pitching rotation, one-dimensional offense, etc).

They made the playoffs in 2016 with basically the same team.  Except Buck couldn't turn away from UJ and Tilly in 2017.   Ruined the season.  They had track records and he rode them right to the bottom of the ocean.  And he didn't want replacements.  he liked his guys.  Thus the 6 man rotation, LOL!!!  Idiot move.

25 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Stopped clocks, blind squirrels, and all that.

No , true past history and now we have a gm and manager that don't speak and work against each other.  That's very relevant on why this team sucks today and last year.

Here's the most important thing to remember about the majority owner. He's the smartest man in the room. 

So any reformed FO will be based on that hard and fast rule. As such, Brady may be our best hope for a competitive 2019 team. I'm not basing that opinion on his executive prowess. I don't know how good/bad he could be. But I know the best chance to influence payroll decisions, is if Pete has trust in the guy who is presenting those suggestions. Pete has full faith in Buck, and that heavily influenced the GM process, since it was made clear to all prospective candidates, that they would be power -sharing with Buck, rather than the traditional owner - GM - manger structure. 

That's why my ideal scenario, and by that I mean, a possible scenario, is that Buck move on. This will free Brady to totally take the reins. He'll hire his manager, and that will restore some normalcy to the hierarchy of the warehouse. And since Brady appears to be close friends with the sons, they may be able to influence other good FA acquisitions like they did with Cobb. Think about that signing for a moment. That was a halle-freakin'-lujah moment. The O's signed a really good pitcher, even in it was to a below market contract. It's a start, because 4 year deals were off the table, after UJ. But Brady and the boys made that happen. 

If Buck stays, he's still the ranking general. No matter how well Brady and Buck get along, Brady will continue to be his subordinate. If, as it is so heavily written about, Buck is the guy who is filling the roster with Rasmus, Alvarez, Davis types, Brady won't be able to shift away from that philosophy, if he wants to. And I admit, that's not something I know for sure. Brady may be in lock step with Buck, but if he isn't, he'll have to be, if he wants to stay employed.