SemiAuto

The Iran deal is over.

412 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:
In assets they received more than that. The Obama administration claimed they would only get about $50B, after it was learned of the $400M that was sent to Iran in cash.

The $400 million was Iran's to start with, placed into a US-based trust fund to support American military equipment purchases in the 1970s. When the Shah was ousted by a 1979 popular uprising that led to the creation of the Islamic Republic, the US froze the trust fund. Iran has been fighting for a return of the funds through international courts since 1981. 
In announcing the agreement, Obama said that paying the $400 million -- plus $1.3 billion in interest -- was saving American taxpayers billions of dollars. The Iranians had been seeking more than $10 billion at arbitration.
"For the United States, this settlement saved us billions of dollars that could have been pursued by Iran," Obama said in January. "There was no benefit to the United States in dragging this out."
As it was making the January cash delivery, the US also imposed new sanctions on Iran over its ballistic missile testing. At the same time, the White House unfroze a larger pool of Iranian assets, estimated at $100 to $150 billion, as part of the nuclear deal, though administration officials cautioned that Iran would only pocket about $50 billion after legal claims.

Which part of it was their money to begin with don’t you understand. We didn’t give them anything. 

48 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Remember the $150B Iran got back? Seems they are using it to get ready to attack Israel from Syria. But I guess you haven't been keeping up with that hot issue.

I suppose you have some definitive proof of this claim regarding the $150 billion?

I'm not going to hold my breath.  This idiotic move by the orange mental patient makes war at some point that much more likely and I'm sure you're salivating over that

9 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

That is what Israel want's the US to do ...

Israel is a little more hawkish that we are, actually. Personally, I just don't trust Iran. 

5 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Israel is a little more hawkish that we are, actually. Personally, I just don't trust Iran. 

I trust Iran no further than I trust Israel, or the US come to that. I personally believe that when Iran does have a balancing nuclear weapon ability, the world will be a safer place, not a more dangerous one.

58 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I have a father-in-law who watches Fox News 24/7. It is always on when we visit. And he mentions the same stuff you do. In fact, you are like his echo.

well if you want the other side just turn on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, oh just pick one,they all say the same thing

12 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

I trust Iran no further than I trust Israel, or the US come to that. I personally believe that when Iran does have a balancing nuclear weapon ability, the world will be a safer place, not a more dangerous one.

That’s very sad.

2 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

well if you want the other side just turn on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, oh just pick one,they all say the same thing

I have given up on cable news some time ago. I think it is all mostly garbage. I read a lot.

Posted (edited)

Read what The Washington Post? NYT? They're no better.

Years ago, I used to buy the Post, Sun and Annapolis Capital every day, while never agreeing with them editorially, I used to think they did a fair job of reporting hard news- well , less so the Sun, but still more or less ok.

Edited by Saticon3

But, don't mourn the Iran Deal, I'm sure Jerry Brown will commit California to still participate, just like he did with Paris. 

Just now, Saticon3 said:

But, don't mourn the Iran Deal, I'm sure Jerry Brown will commit California to still participate, just like he did with Paris. 

California just edged out Great Britain as 5th largest economy in the world. Snicker all you like. 

30 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

You believe an Islamic Republic  is on the same level of trustworthiness as the U.S.? 

1 minute ago, mrdeltoid said:

You believe an Islamic Republic  is on the same level of trustworthiness as the U.S.? 

The US is the only country that has ever used nukes

Just now, mrdeltoid said:

Who can trust Trump? You'd have to be a hapless clown or from West Virginia. At this point nearly any country is more trustworthy than us.  

5 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

What country has Iran attacked?

What war has Iran started?

How many nuclear bombs has Iran used in anger?

To answer your question, yes.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Who can trust Trump? You'd have to be a hapless clown or from West Virginia. At this point nearly any country is more trustworthy than us.  

I'm not talking about Trump. I'm juxtaposing a constitutional republic to a theocracy. Even when the US has a nut in the white house, we do have a system with checks and balances. 

And what difference does it make if you're from West Va. or West Africa????

Edited by mrdeltoid

Just now, WKDWZD said:

What country has Iran attacked?

What war has Iran started?

How many nuclear bombs has Iran used in anger?

To answer your question, yes.

That's really all I need to know. 

2 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I'm not talking about Trump. I'm juxtaposing a constitutional republic to a theocracy. Even when the US has a nut in the white house, we do have a system with checks and balances.

Well, from where I'm standing, your checks aren't checking and your balances aren't balancing ...

8 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The US is the only country that has ever used nukes

And hopefully no other country will use their nukes.

6 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

On the bright side no new wars with other countries have been started since the Obama administration left Washington. 

14 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

California just edged out Great Britain as 5th largest economy in the world. Snicker all you like. 

No snicker here, I wish them well, I wish they'd secede.  They also have about the same economic problems GB has.  Seen SF lately?

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

On the bright side no new wars with other countries have been started since the Obama administration left Washington. 

How dare you speak against his majesty Obama!:o

8 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

No snicker here, I wish them well, I wish they'd secede.  They also have about the same economic problems GB has.  Seen SF lately?

With all California's money they can't buy enough water to save their lives. 

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

Remember the $150B Iran got back? Seems they are using it to get ready to attack Israel from Syria. But I guess you haven't been keeping up with that hot issue.

israel isn't our problem. israel is israel's problem. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Which part of it was their money to begin with don’t you understand. We didn’t give them anything. 

It clearly states that in my post. After attacking our US Embassy and holding Americans for over 1 year Iran's regime should never have been given back THEIR money with $1.3B in INTEREST! AND unfreezing up to $150B in assets. 

1 minute ago, johnpolitics said:

israel isn't our problem. israel is israel's problem. 

And Israel will handle their problem as they usually do. The US should not stop them from defending their country.