Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laker Boy

Royals Declined to Advance A Base!

7 posts in this topic

I have watched many baseball games during my lifetime, but I had never seen a team refuse to advance a base on a wild pitch or passed ball.  Last night that happened!  I believe the score, at the time, was 15-1 and the pitch deflected off of Caleb Joseph's glove far enough for the Royals runner at first to advance to second base.  Inexplicably, that did not occur.  Mike Bordick commented that the Royals declining to advance the base was worse then if they would have done so.  No one in the media mentioned that play in the post game commentary, but it's plainly indicative of how pitiful this team is, and the opposition's perception... taking pity upon them since they're so horrendous.

Keep in mind, the Royals are sporting an impressive 12-23 record. 

That is true about KC.  But that doesn't mitigate the optics of an Oriole opponent philosophically altering their style of play because the hometown nine are so pitiful.  

They are currently on pace to lose 122 games, which would shatter the 1962 Mets record of 120 losses.   I think they're also on pace to break the all time strikeout record for a season.  I think that record of 1535 strike outs is held by the 2013 Houston Astros.

5 minutes ago, Laker Boy said:

That is true about KC.  But that doesn't mitigate the optics of an Oriole opponent philosophically altering their style of play because the hometown nine are so pitiful.  

They are currently on pace to lose 122 games, which would shatter the 1962 Mets record of 120 losses.   I think they're also on pace to break the all time strikeout record for a season.  I think that record of 1535 strike outs is held by the 2013 Houston Astros.

But the Astros were rebuilding at the time. The Angelos family wants no such thing. They have kid themselves into thinking things aren’t as bad as they appear. 

An Oriole who, down ten in the ninth, hit a sac fly was congratulated in the dugout.

THAT'S pathetic. :rolleyes:

In fact, I wonder if the scorer can choose not to score that as a sacrifice.

46 minutes ago, Laker Boy said:

I think it's akin to stealing a base when you're 14 runs up and it's deep into the game. When you're blowing the doors off another team, it's considered disrespectful to steal a base. I suppose it could be considered "taking pity", but it's how teams treat the game. When the Rangers beat up on the O's, scoring 30+ runs, one of their guys stole a base, and he got hammered in the press and laughed at on ESPN.

As a side note, I don't know if breaking a season long record by 2 games, can be considered "shattering" that record. 

Hey, my daughter's softball team overcame a double-digit deficit in the final inning last week to win a game...  it can happen...  :)