Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

O'Day breaks down again

12 posts in this topic

O'Day to the DL again.  He hasn't been right since we signed him to that 4 year deal for 31mil.  In hindsight in how he had pitched and how valuable set up guys were becoming, I don't think it was a bad deal.  Just looks like a bad luck signing.  And now he has zero trade value.  All the guys we have resigned (Buck's guys) have turned out to be busts - Hardy, Davis Trumbo and O;Day.  Just saying it is what it is,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

So glad we kept him over Miller.

Yeah, but Miller has been hurt too.  Still more effective than O'Day though.  Point being, giving out 4 year deals to relievers not a good percentage play at all.  They are the most volatile performers by far.

On my original post about Buck's guys we resigned,  that is about 245mil of sunk money without hardly any return.  Big reason this team has been lousy the last 2 years with only 1 WC appearance in the last 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah, but Miller has been hurt too.  Still more effective than O'Day though.  Point being, giving out 4 year deals to relievers not a good percentage play at all.  They are the most volatile performers by far.

On my original post about Buck's guys we resigned,  that is about 245mil of sunk money without hardly any return.  Big reason this team has been lousy the last 2 years with only 1 WC appearance in the last 4 years.

The decisions they've made, including Angelos, Dan, Buck and Brady,  since 2014 are a large reason why we're 9-28.

I am really hoping they just clean house. I don't want anyone who is currently employed with this team (organization) to be employed come next year.

Hit the reset button. The hard reset button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The decisions they've made, including Angelos, Dan, Buck and Brady,  since 2014 are a large reason why we're 9-28.

I am really hoping they just clean house. I don't want anyone who is currently employed with this team (organization) to be employed come next year.

Hit the reset button. The hard reset button.

Agree.  The last 2 years prove your point.  Too bad the Angelos 3 run this team like the corner mom and pop store that is competing against Sheetz and Wa Wa.  So some of the good ole boyz will still be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

So glad we kept him over Miller.

The Angelos sons know best. It only took Lewey 5 years to pass the bar exam after law school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah, but Miller has been hurt too.  Still more effective than O'Day though.  Point being, giving out 4 year deals to relievers not a good percentage play at all.  They are the most volatile performers by far.

On my original post about Buck's guys we resigned,  that is about 245mil of sunk money without hardly any return.  Big reason this team has been lousy the last 2 years with only 1 WC appearance in the last 4 years.

Agree. That's why I was actually OK with letting Andrew Miller walk after 2014, and I wasn't crazy about the length of the O'Day deal. Given the choice, O'Day had the better overall track record than Miller, but as you pointed out, relievers typically blow very hot and cold. That's why I'm typically opposed to long-term deals for closers.

Given the fickle nature of relief pitchers, if teams start inquiring about Richard Bleier, the Orioles should be willing to listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Given the fickle nature of relief pitchers, if teams start inquiring about Richard Bleier, the Orioles should be willing to listen.

They'll over-ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Reliever Darren O’Day hyperextended his right elbow in a freak accident while stretching in the Orioles bullpen during Tuesday night’s game, and while both the club and O’Day are optimistic he will be able to return from the disabled list when he is eligible Wednesday, they still must gauge his recovery over the next few days to be certain.

O’Day said he began stretching in the middle innings of Tuesday’s game when another reliever ran into his space and hit his arm.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-20180511-story.html

I don't know how one can blame O'Day or anyone (other than the player that ran into him) for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw an article in the Baltimore Sun indicating that O’Day’s “minor” elbow injury is worse than originally envisioned.

What is it with this organization’s medical staff that they continually mis-diagnose injuries???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Saw an article in the Baltimore Sun indicating that O’Day’s “minor” elbow injury is worse than originally envisioned.

What is it with this organization’s medical staff that they continually mis-diagnose injuries???

If it's the same philosophy as the NFL teams have, then it's more about spin control than diagnosis. Don't tell he truth, we may lose the competitive advantage. Other than that, I have to chalk it up to this. How is an organization that can't produce arms, suppose to know how to care for arms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Saw an article in the Baltimore Sun indicating that O’Day’s “minor” elbow injury is worse than originally envisioned.

What is it with this organization’s medical staff that they continually mis-diagnose injuries???

These doctors are very complimentary of the Angelos boys. What other qualifications are  needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0