Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Volcanic eruption in Hawaii.

13 posts in this topic

Quote

A large explosion in Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano on Wednesday may mark the beginning of more violent, explosive eruptions that could spray rocks for miles (kilometers) and dust nearby towns in volcanic ash and smog, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, erupted on Thursday, and a powerful earthquake shook the crater the next day. Lava flows from fissures on its flank have destroyed at least 36 homes and other buildings, and caused the evacuation of some 2,000 residents.

source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are terrifying times.  Not much to say about this except hope it gets no worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed at Volcano House in the park on my last trip to Hawaii.  We actually had to depart that area early as the VOG was so bad (they closed the park.)  We had visited a very hard to get to newly formed black sand beach down near where the lava was flowing at that time.  Very cool to put your toes in that "sand".  The road was closed at that point-couldn't go any further.  Driving through the old lava fields is wild.  They just go on and on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Norman said:

I stayed at Volcano House in the park on my last trip to Hawaii.  We actually had to depart that area early as the VOG was so bad (they closed the park.)  We had visited a very hard to get to newly formed black sand beach down near where the lava was flowing at that time.  Very cool to put your toes in that "sand".  The road was closed at that point-couldn't go any further.  Driving through the old lava fields is wild.  They just go on and on....

Doesn't it stink to high heaven from the sulfur?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really remember it being really bad until we came back to the park from a drive down by the water.  They weren't letting any people back into the park except those staying there.  Then they totally shut it down.  The day before, we did some hiking on the Devastation trail and it was hard on the lungs...the optics of going through there was interesting.  I do remember seeing people down in a small crater on the Kilauea Trail, thinking no way I'd want to be down in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a poster here - Olive Oil who I believe lived in Hawaii. I wonder, has anyone heard from her lately? I'm not sure which island she was living on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Up2DaRack said:

There used to be a poster here - Olive Oil who I believe lived in Hawaii. I wonder, has anyone heard from her lately? I'm not sure which island she was living on.

Kauai I think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lived in Hilo for from 96-98 while stationed at the Pohakuloa Training Area. During that time Pu'u O'o had a large eruption and lava flow, but not to this scale.  It was benign enough that we were able to enjoy the orange sky at night from the highway between Hilo and Pahoa. If memory serves, a few homes were destroyed, but Leilani estates was not in this much danger.

One of my workers lived down that way; lost touch years ago, but hope you're safe Greg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Trump for pulling out of that Paris Accord!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about Hawaii. Never been there.

Am I right that this part of the big island is relatively unpopulated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, ms maggie said:

I know nothing about Hawaii. Never been there.

Am I right that this part of the big island is relatively unpopulated?

Yes ma'am.  With Kilauea still active, there are large areas on that side that will not be developed. Still, if you or I were one of the 1,500+ displaced, that fact wouldn't be much comfort.

Side note: Take a look at Google maps SW of Hilo; you can actually see smoke coming out of the caldera, and how much land is undeveloped around the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hilo,+HI+96720/@19.3549458,-155.2890206,22185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x79524b5a6c97dec9:0xc15ba900330c15c6!8m2!3d19.7241106!4d-155.0868193

 

Edited by Struds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Struds said:

Yes ma'am.  With Kilauea still active, there are large areas on that side that will not be developed. Still, if you or I were one of the 1,500+ displaced, that fact wouldn't be much comfort.

Side note: Take a look at Google maps SW of Hilo; you can actually see smoke coming out of the caldera, and how much land is undeveloped around the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hilo,+HI+96720/@19.3549458,-155.2890206,22185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x79524b5a6c97dec9:0xc15ba900330c15c6!8m2!3d19.7241106!4d-155.0868193

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I was unable to visit Arenal, in Costa Rica due to it being "active" earlier this year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0