Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Volcanic eruption in Hawaii.

13 posts in this topic

A large explosion in Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano on Wednesday may mark the beginning of more violent, explosive eruptions that could spray rocks for miles (kilometers) and dust nearby towns in volcanic ash and smog, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, erupted on Thursday, and a powerful earthquake shook the crater the next day. Lava flows from fissures on its flank have destroyed at least 36 homes and other buildings, and caused the evacuation of some 2,000 residents.

source

These are terrifying times.  Not much to say about this except hope it gets no worse.

I stayed at Volcano House in the park on my last trip to Hawaii.  We actually had to depart that area early as the VOG was so bad (they closed the park.)  We had visited a very hard to get to newly formed black sand beach down near where the lava was flowing at that time.  Very cool to put your toes in that "sand".  The road was closed at that point-couldn't go any further.  Driving through the old lava fields is wild.  They just go on and on....

25 minutes ago, Norman said:

I stayed at Volcano House in the park on my last trip to Hawaii.  We actually had to depart that area early as the VOG was so bad (they closed the park.)  We had visited a very hard to get to newly formed black sand beach down near where the lava was flowing at that time.  Very cool to put your toes in that "sand".  The road was closed at that point-couldn't go any further.  Driving through the old lava fields is wild.  They just go on and on....

Doesn't it stink to high heaven from the sulfur?

I don't really remember it being really bad until we came back to the park from a drive down by the water.  They weren't letting any people back into the park except those staying there.  Then they totally shut it down.  The day before, we did some hiking on the Devastation trail and it was hard on the lungs...the optics of going through there was interesting.  I do remember seeing people down in a small crater on the Kilauea Trail, thinking no way I'd want to be down in there.

There used to be a poster here - Olive Oil who I believe lived in Hawaii. I wonder, has anyone heard from her lately? I'm not sure which island she was living on.

4 minutes ago, Up2DaRack said:

There used to be a poster here - Olive Oil who I believe lived in Hawaii. I wonder, has anyone heard from her lately? I'm not sure which island she was living on.

Kauai I think...

We lived in Hilo for from 96-98 while stationed at the Pohakuloa Training Area. During that time Pu'u O'o had a large eruption and lava flow, but not to this scale.  It was benign enough that we were able to enjoy the orange sky at night from the highway between Hilo and Pahoa. If memory serves, a few homes were destroyed, but Leilani estates was not in this much danger.

One of my workers lived down that way; lost touch years ago, but hope you're safe Greg.

Damn Trump for pulling out of that Paris Accord!

I know nothing about Hawaii. Never been there.

Am I right that this part of the big island is relatively unpopulated?

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, ms maggie said:

I know nothing about Hawaii. Never been there.

Am I right that this part of the big island is relatively unpopulated?

Yes ma'am.  With Kilauea still active, there are large areas on that side that will not be developed. Still, if you or I were one of the 1,500+ displaced, that fact wouldn't be much comfort.

Side note: Take a look at Google maps SW of Hilo; you can actually see smoke coming out of the caldera, and how much land is undeveloped around the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hilo,+HI+96720/@19.3549458,-155.2890206,22185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x79524b5a6c97dec9:0xc15ba900330c15c6!8m2!3d19.7241106!4d-155.0868193

Edited by Struds

2 hours ago, Struds said:

Yes ma'am.  With Kilauea still active, there are large areas on that side that will not be developed. Still, if you or I were one of the 1,500+ displaced, that fact wouldn't be much comfort.

Side note: Take a look at Google maps SW of Hilo; you can actually see smoke coming out of the caldera, and how much land is undeveloped around the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hilo,+HI+96720/@19.3549458,-155.2890206,22185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x79524b5a6c97dec9:0xc15ba900330c15c6!8m2!3d19.7241106!4d-155.0868193

Thx

I was unable to visit Arenal, in Costa Rica due to it being "active" earlier this year.