Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

DeSousa charged with failure to file/pay taxes

161 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Pugh is a huge joke too and so are a lot of those on the city's council.

The city's police commissioner, the top law enforcement official in the city, "willfully" didn't file federal or state income taxes for three years, is indicted for those federal crimes, and they're reporting now that more charges might be forthcoming since he is still under investigation by the feds.  The two Assistant U.S. Attorneys who are investigating and brought charges are the same ones who investigated the GTTF.  Coincidence?

In other cases rank and file cops are suspended from duty for something like that, but De Sousa remains on the job and Pugh continues to express that she has "full confidence" in him. It's hard to believe that De Sousa didn't mention his failure to file tax  situation when he was being considered for his appointment  as commissioner and wasn't asked.

Pugh's legacy will be that she makes Sheila and Stephanie look good in comparison. 

I'm not sure I would put the mayor in the same category as Dixon.

But as for the commissioner, won't it be interesting if the reason he didn't file is because of his inability to effectively hide unreported income from illegal sources? :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

BPD Commissioner De Sousa charged with failing to pay taxes for 3 years https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/bpd-commissioner-de-sousa-charged-with-failing-to-pay-taxes

Wth? How does a supposedly intelligent person think they can do this and not face penalties and embarrassment?

I don’t get how anyone “forgets “ to file taxes. Starting in November every other commercial on tv is Turbo Tax, H&R Block, and Jackson Hewitt. 

39 minutes ago, Papi said:

But as for the commissioner, won't it be interesting if the reason he didn't file is because of his inability to effectively hide unreported income from illegal sources? :rolleyes:

The question about things like whether or not he had any skeletons in his closet like that had to be asked of him before they handed him the job of commissioner.

This is all coming out just as Mel Reynolds is released from jail for failing to file his taxes too.

Nobody should act surprised, especially Pugh, when the other shoe falls since they're supposedly investigating other possible violations. 

It's impossible to not see those people that dress in those Statue of Liberty costumes that hold signs and dance on the corners for Liberty Tax services.  That alone would clue the police commissioner in.  Nobody "forgets" to file taxes for three years.  Nobody is that stupid.

De Sousa's actions (or lack thereof) make Verletta White's look like she's a genius.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ode2Joy said:

Pugh is a huge joke too and so are a lot of those on the city's council.

The city's police commissioner, the top law enforcement official in the city, "willfully" didn't file federal or state income taxes for three years, is indicted for those federal crimes, and they're reporting now that more charges might be forthcoming since he is still under investigation by the feds.  The two Assistant U.S. Attorneys who are investigating and brought charges are the same ones who investigated the GTTF.  Coincidence?

In other cases rank and file cops are suspended from duty for something like that, but De Sousa remains on the job and Pugh continues to express that she has "full confidence" in him. It's hard to believe that De Sousa didn't mention his failure to file tax  situation when he was being considered for his appointment  as commissioner and wasn't asked.

Pugh's legacy will be that she makes Sheila and Stephanie look good in comparison. 

Not to get off topic....but why do you think that Trump and his minions and the Senate (both gop and dems) a shxtting a brick about Mueller. 

He is finding all sorts of rabbit holes....and he is following every one of them.  

And yeah...I had high hopes for Pugh....but she is turning out to be just like the rest prior to her. All talk (and pop ups) and no substantive action.....and the council....they make the counties board look like the a Mensa meeting. 

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I don’t get how anyone “forgets “ to file taxes. Starting in November every other commercial on tv is Turbo Tax, H&R Block, and Jackson Hewitt. 

And don't forget the folks dressed like the Statue of Liberty waving their placards near those tax offices!

Image result for liberty tax service

https://www.google.com/search?q=liberty+tax+service&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS748US748&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC4Iix_f3aAhUh7oMKHaW6D7EQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1920&bih=974

Edited by Struds
Can't Post a Pic

It's another black eye for the city but Commissioner de Sousa has no excuse for not filing his tax returns for three years. He could have gotten time waivers with a simple letter to the IRS. As someone wrote, in tax season there are reminders everywhere, on radio and TV, in the papers and the Statue of Liberty wavers on sidewalks everywhere.

If deSousa is that negligent about his taxes what else is he forgetting.

I do not see how the Mayor and City Council can keep him as police commissioner. This isn't a plea bargain case except on penalty; you either DID or did NOT file tax returns.  If you did NOT you are guilty, period end of story.

This looks like a case of guilty but mostly stupid.

Posted (edited)

I guess the Mayor's confidence is gone. Only question is why is it a paid suspension? SOP I guess.

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh has placed Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa on paid leave pending the resolution of three federal criminal tax charges against him, she announced Friday.

“Upon review of the circumstances surrounding Commissoner De Sousa's failure to file tax returns for successive years I have placed him on paid suspension effective immediately,” Pugh said at a news conference Friday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-de-sousa-presser-20180511-story.html

Edited by Struds

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Struds said:

I guess the Mayor's confidence is gone. Only question is why is it a paid suspension? SOP I guess.

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh has placed Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa on paid leave pending the resolution of three federal criminal tax charges against him, she announced Friday.

“Upon review of the circumstances surrounding Commissoner De Sousa's failure to file tax returns for successive years I have placed him on paid suspension effective immediately,” Pugh said at a news conference Friday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-de-sousa-presser-20180511-story.html

Maybe she stipulated that his suspension pay go towards the federal penalties. :rolleyes:

Edited by PinkFlamingo

58 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Maybe she stipulated that his suspension pay go towards the federal penalties. :rolleyes:

Pugh and all but maybe one or so people on the city council are a big joke.  

Within 24 hours she went from "I HAVE FULL CONFIDENCE" in De Sousa to putting him on paid suspension with pay.  :D 

If there's a more perfect example of one party and liberal Democrat controlled city government than Baltimore, I'd like to know what it'd be. 

12 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Within 24 hours she went from "I HAVE FULL CONFIDENCE" in De Sousa to putting him on paid suspension with pay.  :D 

If there's a more perfect example of one party and liberal Democrat controlled city government than Baltimore, I'd like to know what it'd be. 

Pugh’s in way over her head. She had no idea she’d be spending 85% of her time dealing with the BPD and their problems. 

21 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Figures....I just put out my highlighted and notated papers regarding this. 

Regardless...take my word on this or look it up on the web. 

In the Sun....the FOP complained....that if a 'regular' cop was up on federal charges....he/she would be suspended WITHOUT PAY. Further, again drawing on memory, those cops that were suspended (and eventually exonerated) because of 'poor freddie' ....didn't collect pay....but were able to re-coup that money after reinstatement. 

I am sure some of you will parse out....fed vs local in regard to 'poor freddie'...spin you wheels if you wish. Point is...why is he still collecting a paycheck and I think more importantly....why has he NOT been put in the 'time out' corner. As of this writing. 

This is IMO, very similar to the onus that follows Ms. White as the super. 

Does what you did wrong really impact your job performance? Maybe ....maybe not. But the perception or image is everything. Ask Agassi. 

5 hours ago, Papi said:

Yeah, Sheila got stuff done.  Catherine seem to be spinning her wheels.

3 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Sheila also committed theft and was convicted for it. Pugh may be spinning her wheels but at least she's not a crook. :P

8 minutes ago, Papi said:

Sheila also committed theft and was convicted for it. Pugh may be spinning her wheels but at least she's not a crook. :P

I know that.

One reason he may be suspended with pay is that these are misdemeanor charges. If they were felonies he'd be suspended without pay. 

Some legal eagle can check that. But either way, even if he gets probation how can he continue to serve as commissioner.  Like I said, guilty but mostly stupid. 

Like Dallas Dance, another great career down the drain.  And Verletta White is circling the bowl.

Say he settles, and pays up what is owed. What happens then? Seems like a really dumb thing to do, but if he pays up, should he lose his job? Would anyone else lose their job for this reason?

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Say he settles, and pays up what is owed. What happens then? Seems like a really dumb thing to do, but if he pays up, should he lose his job? Would anyone else lose their job for this reason?

That wouldn't change the fact that he is of questionable character.

"he made a mistake in not filing his taxes"

This is the best they got :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

Lets think about that....I mean really..think about it. 

Maybe Dixon did get stuff done...but she could walk the walk.

Think this' It takes a thief to catch a thief'. Your best 'agents' are the ones that were from the other side....so to speak. 

I mean....look at the so called successful 'Safe Streets' stuff. They didn't hire MIT graduates for that....they hired graduates from the prisions. Why? The answer is obvious. 

I think if somehow you could clone Dixon for street smarts, Blake for paper work lawyer stuff and Pugh for MD political savvy and make one....well....Baltimore would be the next NYC. 

17 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Welllll.... he is the top cop and it really doesn't shine a bright light when he breaking the law.  So, IMO, he needs to find a new job.  I'm sure his employment contract says something about not breaking the law.  It's not a good look for Baltimore when they are trying to pull themselves out of the gutter. 

9 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

That didn't take long. 

Pugh had to be told what to do. She was barely audible in announcing his suspension.

She’s like a meek little mouse. 

27 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Pugh had to be told what to do. She was barely audible in announcing his suspension.

She’s like a meek little mouse. 

As nervous as a grasshopper. 

Something I think most times I see her.

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

I guess that would depend on the employer and the specific job. I happen to have a low level Secret clearance, so yes, I would be fired. A bartender, truck driver or (fill in the blanks) might not be. The job he has - IMHO - clearly does require a higher standard, so he should be fired.