Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

DeSousa charged with failure to file/pay taxes

161 posts in this topic

Lock him up!   More Baltimore trash.  Another reason Baltimore is the nations laughingstock.  nice pick there Pugh!   lmao.

Suspended with pay .....

That's called a vacation.....

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Suspended with pay .....

You beat me to it, E.T. ;)

This seems to me to only be a problem with people who make a whole Lot of Money. Maybe if you have a whole bunch of property and Investments, stocks, bonds, dividends and such you might have to Pay taxes at the end of the year. Working stiffs like me just have our taxes taken out of our weekly/bi-weekly pay and usually get a Pittance back from the Feds & State every year. Have done my takes online with one outfit every year since they came up with the Internet. Before that I just did the short form on my own. That's my experience. I can't think of anyone I know who has ever had Tax Problems. I don't know any Rich people. 

His twin brother made a statement on the news asking how many of us have forgotten to pay taxes.   (Raising my hand.)  He then said that this period of forgetfulness occurred while DeSousa was providing care for his parents who were suffering from dementia/Alzheimers.  Even acknowledging that taking care of elderly parents can be all-encompassing of our life, the IRS continues sending letters. The IRS is aggressive. This issue didn't just go away allowing him to continue to "forget about it."  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

His twin brother made a statement on the news asking how many of us have forgotten to pay taxes.   (Raising my hand.)  He then said that this period of forgetfulness occurred while DeSousa was providing care for his parents who were suffering from dementia/Alzheimers.  Even acknowledging that taking care of elderly parents can be all-encompassing of our life, the IRS continues sending letters. The IRS is aggressive. This issue didn't just go away allowing him to continue to "forget about it."  

You forgot .....YOU FORGOT....to pay taxes. Or did I misread what you typed....it could just be me. 

How the blip does ANYONE regardless of income 'forget' to paytaxes. I can see not flushing the toilet or turning off a porch light in the morning. That I get.

But TAXES?????????????

My wife and I have gone through taking care of 3 elderly parents....to a total of many many years...and we never missed filing. 

smh

But to your credit .....you did admit it....that takes guts. Provided I read correctly. 

Edited by Guido2

9 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Suspended with pay .....

Well hopefully he will use the time wisely and get his taxes finally turned in. :D

What a dufus. But then the city is led by dufuses. 

Posted (edited)

No one "forgets" to file taxes for three years.  He also "forgot" to file some of his mandatory ethics forms he was required to file too. 

LINK

As ruthless as the IRS is supposed to be, people might be surprised to find out that they are willing to help people meet their legal responsibilities if contacted by telling them what needs to be done.  

Anyone stupid enough to not file taxes for three years is too stupid to be police commissioner and have any say about budgetary matters within their department.  They're also too questionable to enforce the same kind administrative actions of employees under them who broke the same laws as he did, or set an decent example as the top law enforcement official of the city.

The city needs a real vetting process.  Its ever-changing parade of police commissioners proves that.

Edited by Ode2Joy

1 minute ago, Ode2Joy said:

No one "forgets" to file taxes for three years.  He also "forgot" to file some of his mandatory ethics forms he was required to file too. 

LINK

As ruthless as the IRS is supposed to be, people might be surprised to find out that they are willing to help people meet their legal responsibilities if contacted by telling them what needs to be done.  

Anyone stupid enough to not file taxes for three years is too stupid to be police commissioner and have any say about budgetary matters within their department.  They're also too questionable to enforce the same kind administrative actions of employees under them who broke the same laws as he did, or set an decent example as the top law enforcement official of the city.

The city needs a real vetting process.  Its ever-changing parade of police commissioners proves that.

My thoughts exactly,  but in the city government ou could still be the smarter person in the room on most days .....

Posted (edited)

You got me thinking about something ....

It's been decades since I haven't written a check to tge IRS but i remember when i was younger i wss told that the April 1t deadline wasn't a hard deadline if the IRS owed you money......

The clock started on that day on fines and penalties etc. if you owed them.....

If you had overpaid, there was no late penalty and they were in no rush to send you check ......

Don't know if that's still true, if it was actually a "rule" and I'm sure he wasn't aware of that ......

Edited by Eastside Terp

1 minute ago, Eastside Terp said:

My thoughts exactly,  but in the city government ou could still be the smarter person in the room on most days .....

If they can't even properly vet someone for a high profile and important position like police commissioner, you know that there's much more of that going on in city government in the lower levels.  It's not just the mayor either.  It's the city council that allows and enables it. 

De Sousa could have averted all of his tax problems by investing in a simple and straightforward tax software like Turbo Tax unless he was lying about his other interests and sources of income he claims he doesn't have.  One employer and no other property or interests?  He didn't need a tax expert.  He needed about 15 minutes worth of time over three years to answer the questions and file his federal and state taxes online. 

Now he's got a paid vacation from the mayor while everyone waits to see what else the continuing federal investigation might find.  He made the mayor and city council look like bigger fools than they already look like.  Tough career break, but he's the only person responsible for destroying any credibility he had. 

7 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

It's been decades since I haven't written a check to tge IRS but i remember when i was younger i wss told that the April 1t deadline wasn't a hard deadline if the IRS owed you money......

If you had overpaid, there was no late penalty and they were in no rush to send you check ......

Don't know if that's still true, if it was actually a "rule" and I'm sure he wasn't aware of that ......

He could easily have asked for an extension or made a phone call anytime.  The IRS would have helped him by telling him what he needed to do. 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

I know this for certain. In 2012 the IRS claimed that I didn't file in 2006. I absolutely did. Obviously, I had copies of my return.  It took almost nine months -- including me mailing and hand delivering my copies -- to get them off my back. Guess what? Even then they claimed that there was no proof that I actually filed the returns - just that I had them prepared.  Thus, they refused to remove the substantial fines associated with this "failure" to file taxes. The IRS does not go away. And DeSousa is a bit of a liar.

Edited by Sprightly

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

He could easily have asked for an extension or made a phone call anytime.  The IRS would have helped him by telling him what he needed to do. 

The software has extension request.....

Starting about mid February, i start shopping for the software and my thoughts are consumed by the dang IRS for a few weeks ......

This year I had to file for both kids and in 4 states for myself .... 

I refuse to pay the extra states so I do the extras by hand.....

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I know this for certain. In 2012 the IRS claimed that I didn't file in 2006. I absolutely did. Obviously, I had copies of my return.  It took almost nine months -- including me mailing and hand delivering my copies -- to get them off my back. Guess what? Even then they claimed that there was no proof that I actually filed the returns - just that I had them prepared.  Thus, they refused to remove the substantial fines associated with this "failure" to file taxes. The IRS does not go away. And DeSousa is a bit of a liar.

Who owed whom? ....

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

The software has extension request.....

Starting about mid February, i start shopping for the software and my thoughts are consumed by the dang IRS for a few weeks ......

This year I had to file for both kids and in 4 states for myself .... 

I refuse to pay the extra states so I do the extras by hand.....

We used to do our taxes by hand w/ a calculator, then we used TurboTax....when it was reasonable...and we still had to do much of the 'leg work' and manipulating as our retirement  investments became more complex. For the last 5 years we  have used an excellent tax preparer....150 for state and federal. And we get her 'low-down' on what to do next year.

Further, when we first hired her, see wanted to see our previous returns. And yah know what....she found our and TurboTax's 'mistakes' and re-filed and we got enough additional money to pay for two years of her services. And a couple of great lunches at Duesenberg's

Plus....she doesn't wear those silly Statue of Liberty outfits. :D

Edited by Guido2

Well on top of everything else. in the paper today it turns out that De Sousa also did not file some ethics forms. 

www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-ci-de-sousa-disclosure-20180511-story.html

Records maintained by Baltimore’s Board of Ethics do not show disclosures for De Sousa filed in 2014, 2017 or 2018. He did file in 2015 and 2016, the records show. The filings are required to be filed each year by April 30.

And he seemed so organized and proper. :rolleyes: Maybe he has Dallas-it is. :lol:

It has to be the water in MD...pro teams players are on IR the minute the season starts, Mayor's steal kids debit cards or allow rioting, goooberment reps etc. can't fill out paperwork.

And dang it....the water has to be the reason why Hogan cancelled the red line.....

its the water....it has to be it . :D

8 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well on top of everything else. in the paper today it turns out that De Sousa also did not file some ethics forms. 

www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-ci-de-sousa-disclosure-20180511-story.html

Records maintained by Baltimore’s Board of Ethics do not show disclosures for De Sousa filed in 2014, 2017 or 2018. He did file in 2015 and 2016, the records show. The filings are required to be filed each year by April 30.

And he seemed so organized and proper. :rolleyes: Maybe he has Dallas-it is. :lol:

It has to be the water in MD...pro teams players are on IR the minute the season starts, Mayor's steal kids debit cards or allow rioting, goooberment reps etc. can't fill out paperwork.

And dang it....the water has to be the reason why Hogan cancelled the red line.....

its the water....it has to be it . :D

That was mention earlier .....

Pugh bought into his fast talking Bull and made him commissioner. 

That's the inherent danger of filing a return on paper. They can say they never got it. When it is done electronically you get a confirmation that it has been accepted. 

The IRS is a bunch of crooks who engage in selective prosecution. DeSousa, though a snake oil salesmen, has lived an otherwise honorary life. His piddling amount likely pales in comparison to what Al Sharpton owes. Regardless the alleged Reverend remains untouched. 

14 minutes ago, Papi said:

That's the inherent danger of filing a return on paper. They can say they never got it. When it is done electronically you get a confirmation that it has been accepted. 

I fill the states on paper because the software only gives you free fed efile and I'm not paying to give the state a check faster......

I take it to the post office and get  receipt, cost like $2......

13 minutes ago, Papi said:

Not to be a nay sayer but I have had friends that filed electronically and had the proof and the IRS still messed with them

My tax preparer not only files electronically ...but prints all the paperwork ...attaches the supporting documents AND timestamps/signs/notarizes EVERYTHING. And attaches several 'Dear IRS agent, if you have problems understanding this....call my number'. cards.

She covers ALL the bases. 

Unlike the O's . :lol:

3 minutes ago, Manny said:

The IRS is a bunch of crooks who engage in selective prosecution. DeSousa, though a snake oil salesmen, has lived an otherwise honorary life. His piddling amount likely pales in comparison to what Al Sharpton owes. Regardless the alleged Reverend remains untouched. 

Link or opinion?