Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

DeSousa charged with failure to file/pay taxes

161 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

I fill the states on paper because the software only gives you free fed efile and I'm not paying to give the state a check faster......

I take it to the post office and get  receipt, cost like $2......

What is the software up to now? Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Link or opinion?

Look it up. He owes millions yet no prosecutor has gone after him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Manny said:

Look it up. He owes millions yet no prosecutor has gone after him. 

Opppp oopppp here we go. Asking someone to prove a point that you brought up.

And people call me lazy:lol:....and I pretty much 99% of the time provide links AND i cut an paste the points that support my argument. 

So...lacking any real evidence...it is a safe assumption that you pulled that one out of ..................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

What is the software up to now? Just curious.

My goal each year is to get it for less than $40 for a DVD, download or on-line is cheaper ......

that's the "deluxe", with capital gains and a half dozen other forms, basic is a lot cheaper and free on line I believe .......

That comes with 5 free fed efiles, I do  total of 4 returns for relatives and me .......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read an article on his suspension ......

sounds like his temporary replacement has a better resume anyway .....

that can be his legacy, he hired good people .....

Pugh should cut her losses .......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

My goal each year is to get it for less than $40 for a DVD, download or on-line is cheaper ......

that's the "deluxe", with capital gains and a half dozen other forms, basic is a lot cheaper and free on line I believe .......

That comes with 5 free fed efiles, I do  total of 4 returns for relatives and me .......

 

Wow.... it did come down ...as I remember it. Again if you don't mind....if you paid for the state stuff ...how much more is that?

Don't want to bug you but I am admittedly curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Opppp oopppp here we go. Asking someone to prove a point that you brought up.

And people call me lazy:lol:....and I pretty much 99% of the time provide links AND i cut an paste the points that support my argument. 

So...lacking any real evidence...it is a safe assumption that you pulled that one out of ..................................

Well known facts don’t need a link. Even if you are oblivious to Mx Sharpton’s debt, the vast majority of us are not.  https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/nyregion/questions-about-al-sharptons-finances-accompany-his-rise-in-influence.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Hidden&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Papi said:

That's the inherent danger of filing a return on paper. They can say they never got it. When it is done electronically you get a confirmation that it has been accepted. 

I did file electronically. I kept copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Who owed whom? ....

I owed them. The problem is that I couldn't find proof that I paid. It was a great big fluster cluck but was finally resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Wow.... it did come down ...as I remember it. Again if you don't mind....if you paid for the state stuff ...how much more is that?

Don't want to bug you but I am admittedly curious. 

1 state is included....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manny said:

So .... pray tell.....when I state well known facts....like why we need air facts....then why do some GOMS about not?

This may be a surprise to you...but Mr. Sharpton's activities are NOT exactly on the top of my 'things to know' list. 

But thanks for providing the link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

So .... pray tell.....when I state well known facts....like why we need air facts....then why do some GOMS about not?

This may be a surprise to you...but Mr. Sharpton's activities are NOT exactly on the top of my 'things to know' list. 

But thanks for providing the link. 

You pretend to be so well-read. I mistakenly thought you would know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Manny said:

You pretend to be so well-read. I mistakenly thought you would know. 

No pretention. I know what I know...and I back it up with facts.

I am entirely open to being corrected or informed. 

Hmmmmmm....maybe in a round about way it proves I am not a racist. I think it would be a fair assumption that a racist would have those negative/derogatory 'things' at their fingertips.

Which I did/do not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

You got me thinking about something ....

It's been decades since I haven't written a check to tge IRS but i remember when i was younger i wss told that the April 1t deadline wasn't a hard deadline if the IRS owed you money......

The clock started on that day on fines and penalties etc. if you owed them.....

If you had overpaid, there was no late penalty and they were in no rush to send you check ......

Don't know if that's still true, if it was actually a "rule" and I'm sure he wasn't aware of that ......

For overpayments that you file for refunds, you have 3 years from the default due date (for those that owe) to file.

2018's default due date is April 15, 2019 if you owe the IRS.

2018's window for refunds expires on April 15, 2022 - 3 years later. After that date, you forfeit the refund.

Refunds are not "rushed" but neither are they delayed. About 4-6 weeks...maybe a week or two longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I know this for certain. In 2012 the IRS claimed that I didn't file in 2006. I absolutely did. Obviously, I had copies of my return.  It took almost nine months -- including me mailing and hand delivering my copies -- to get them off my back. Guess what? Even then they claimed that there was no proof that I actually filed the returns - just that I had them prepared.  Thus, they refused to remove the substantial fines associated with this "failure" to file taxes. The IRS does not go away. And DeSousa is a bit of a liar.

 

17 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I take it to the post office and get  receipt, cost like $2......

Even a Post Office receipt won't prove the IRS actually received the return. It only proves that you sent it. The IRS may argue that it may have been lost, damaged, or misrouted in the mail if they cannot locate your return.

I have a possible solution:

When you file, use the Postal Service and complete & pay extra for a Domestic Return Receipt

A Return Receipt provides evidence of delivery, to whom it was delivered, and the date of delivery. The part that is attached to the mail when you send it is eventually mailed back to you after being signed off by the recipient when delivered. In the mean time, you have the portion of the receipt with proof that it was mailed. The Receipt also has a tracking number available for you to either use online or use when contacting a Postal Service customer service rep.

Be advised to avoid the tax season rush when using Return Receipts because at that time, all IRS mail goes into rolling gurneys (that have a capacity for hundreds of mail pieces) to avoid a time-consuming letter sorting process. Consequently when it is delivered to the IRS, it is impractical for the designated receiver(s) to rummage through hundreds of mail pieces (per gurney) to extract and sign Return Receipts. IRS tax preparers will be too busy trying to process millions of returns to bother signing off on receipts.

Other than that, you will have documented evidence that the IRS received your tax return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

 

Even a Post Office receipt won't prove the IRS actually received the return. It only proves that you sent it. The IRS may argue that it may have been lost, damaged, or misrouted in the mail if they cannot locate your return.

I have a possible solution:

When you file, use the Postal Service and complete & pay extra for a Domestic Return Receipt

A Return Receipt provides evidence of delivery, to whom it was delivered, and the date of delivery. The part that is attached to the mail when you send it is eventually mailed back to you after being signed off by the recipient when delivered. In the mean time, you have the portion of the receipt with proof that it was mailed. The Receipt also has a tracking number available for you to either use online or use when contacting a Postal Service customer service rep.

Be advised to avoid the tax season rush when using Return Receipts because at that time, all IRS mail goes into rolling gurneys (that have a capacity for hundreds of mail pieces) to avoid a time-consuming letter sorting process. Consequently when it is delivered to the IRS, it is impractical for the designated receiver(s) to rummage through hundreds of mail pieces (per gurney) to extract and sign Return Receipts. IRS tax preparers will be too busy trying to process millions of returns to bother signing off on receipts.

Other than that, you will have documented evidence that the IRS received your tax return.

Sounds like a man who knows what he is talking about.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I owed them. The problem is that I couldn't find proof that I paid. It was a great big fluster cluck but was finally resolved.

That's one cancelled check to never throw away. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure I got this sort of wrong. But....I find it interesting that the IRS says it is ok to destroy tax paper work after 5 years (?). However they can come after you till the day you die. 

So aren't they saying it is ok to screw up you possible own defense? Sounds like a set up to me. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Papi said:

That's one cancelled check to never throw away. :lol: 

For sure. I write exactly zero checks now. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Wow.... it did come down ...as I remember it. Again if you don't mind....if you paid for the state stuff ...how much more is that?

Don't want to bug you but I am admittedly curious. 

Don't know where you were shopping but only started paying more the $30 A couple years ago .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

 

Even a Post Office receipt won't prove the IRS actually received the return. It only proves that you sent it. The IRS may argue that it may have been lost, damaged, or misrouted in the mail if they cannot locate your return.

I have a possible solution:

When you file, use the Postal Service and complete & pay extra for a Domestic Return Receipt

A Return Receipt provides evidence of delivery, to whom it was delivered, and the date of delivery. The part that is attached to the mail when you send it is eventually mailed back to you after being signed off by the recipient when delivered. In the mean time, you have the portion of the receipt with proof that it was mailed. The Receipt also has a tracking number available for you to either use online or use when contacting a Postal Service customer service rep.

Be advised to avoid the tax season rush when using Return Receipts because at that time, all IRS mail goes into rolling gurneys (that have a capacity for hundreds of mail pieces) to avoid a time-consuming letter sorting process. Consequently when it is delivered to the IRS, it is impractical for the designated receiver(s) to rummage through hundreds of mail pieces (per gurney) to extract and sign Return Receipts. IRS tax preparers will be too busy trying to process millions of returns to bother signing off on receipts.

Other than that, you will have documented evidence that the IRS received your tax return.

Technically you are correct but I figure that the 2 government agencies can then argue about why they didn't get it .....

I can write another check, just want the receipt to prevent fines and interest .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

For overpayments that you file for refunds, you have 3 years from the default due date (for those that owe) to file.

2018's default due date is April 15, 2019 if you owe the IRS.

2018's window for refunds expires on April 15, 2022 - 3 years later. After that date, you forfeit the refund.

Refunds are not "rushed" but neither are they delayed. About 4-6 weeks...maybe a week or two longer.

Good info .....

I usually file late because I typically owe, but .....

I do admit that I am somewhat concerned about identity theft and waiting so late to file these days......

A friend of mine had a thief file in his name and it's been a nightmare for a few years ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just another black eye for Baltimore.  Pugh should resign for not vetting him before his appointment. How in the hel* do you sleep at night knowing you haven't paid taxes you owe for years, much less accept such a position of trust.  Mind boggling. He should resign and enjoy his 6 figure pension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with a bank account who does banking in person or online is constantly hit by offers from their banks or credit unions that remind them that they can file through them using Turbo Tax. 

De Sousa's problem is that he didn't bother to file taxes for three years and he, Pugh, the city council, or all of them were too stupid or lazy to think to volunteer information or ask questions about whether he had something like failure to pay taxes in his background.  :P 

This is a perfect example of the mayor and the city government failing even the most basic common sense vetting that would have prevented this latest embarrassment and example of incompetency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Anyone with a bank account who does banking in person or online is constantly hit by offers from their banks or credit unions that remind them that they can file through them using Turbo Tax. 

De Sousa's problem is that he didn't bother to file taxes for three years and he, Pugh, the city council, or all of them were too stupid or lazy to think to volunteer information or ask questions about whether he had something like failure to pay taxes in his background.  :P 

This is a perfect example of the mayor and the city government failing even the most basic common sense vetting that would have prevented this latest embarrassment and example of incompetency. 

Or, it’s a perfect example of the mayor and the city government knowing about his tax situation and just looking the other way and hoping it never comes out. That wouldn’t surprise me at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0