Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Promote. David. Hess. Now.

51 posts in this topic

He is killing it in Norfolk. And Tillman is getting killed (an understatement) in Baltimore.

Of course, I don't expect this to happen anytime soon.

Tillman had a good start in the last month, so Buck will give him another 10 starts to get things right again. It's the Ubaldo Principle.

Posted (edited)

One good start in AAA does not portend success in the majors. I don't know that much about David Hess, but he couldn't be any worse than Tillman at this point.

Mike Wright pitched seven shutout innings in his major league debut. That ultimately didn't carry over too well.

Edited by mdrunning

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

One good start in AAA does not portend success in the majors. I don't know that much about David Hess, but he couldn't be any worse than Tillman at this point.

Mike Wright pitched seven shutout innings in his major league debut. That ultimately didn't carry over too well.

Personally, I'd rather see someone new go 2 innings than Tillman.

I think you guys are missing the big picture. Tillman has a track record. Sheesh...the guy has a couple of bad starts, and you all are ready to run him out of town.

41 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I think you guys are missing the big picture. Tillman has a track record. Sheesh...the guy has a couple of bad starts, and you all are ready to run him out of town.

LOL!!  Yeah you are channeling Buck for sure:D.  He basically said the same at his presser last night.  You have to give guys enough rope to get back on track.  When pressed by one of the reporters on a follow-up question - Four of 8 of Chris' starts have gone 4 innings of less -  Buck cut the guy off and got Prickly.  "Yeah I'm aware, but Chris had had a couple good starts, too! "   Next question.

That little exchange tells me Buck isn't ready to pull plug yet.  So I stand by my previous harsh remarks that he is a moron.  For someone who is always moaning about a worn out pen, the smart thing to do would be to DFA Tilly and bring up a fresh bullpen arm for the weekend.  I'm assuming Hess comes up as the 26th man for the DH on Sat.  

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

:lol: This quote is even more ridiculous the second time you posted it!!!

17 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

LOL!!  Yeah you are channeling Buck for sure:D.  He basically said the same at his presser last night.  You have to give guys enough rope to get back on track.  When pressed by one of the reporters on a follow-up question - Four of 8 of Chris' starts have gone 4 innings of less -  Buck cut the guy off and got Prickly.  "Yeah I'm aware, but Chris had had a couple good starts, too! "   Next question.

That little exchange tells me Buck isn't ready to pull plug yet.  So I stand by my previous harsh remarks that he is a moron.  For someone who is always moaning about a worn out pen, the smart thing to do would be to DFA Tilly and bring up a fresh bullpen arm for the weekend.  I'm assuming Hess comes up as the 26th man for the DH on Sat.  

Buck has totally become Brian Billick. Billick pushed the issue of getting Elvis Grbac. And then relentlessly stuck with him, despite the results. I guess they both have the attitude of, I can't be wrong on this, so I have to stick with it, until my guy proves me right. In Buck's case, he has no worries about losing his job. Everyone I've heard talk about the Tilly situation, says the same thing. The O's are committed to him, he's not going anywhere.   

3 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Buck has totally become Brian Billick. Billick pushed the issue of getting Elvis Grbac. And then relentlessly stuck with him, despite the results. I guess they both have the attitude of, I can't be wrong on this, so I have to stick with it, until my guy proves me right. In Buck's case, he has no worries about losing his job. Everyone I've heard talk about the Tilly situation, says the same thing. The O's are committed to him, he's not going anywhere.   

Yeah agree.  This whole Tilly thing cements my belief Buck is running the show as the top dog warehouse dog not named Angelos.  No manager in their right mind that wanted to win would keep running this guy out there.  Its all about being right on that 3 million dollar gamble.  Really not sure how Buck can look his guys like AJ in the eye when he runs Tilly out there again.  It really is disgraceful.  And Buck's ready made excuse of "who else then"  doesn't hold water with Hess pitching well.  

It really was comical seeing the reporters questioning him last night on Tilly.  He was so irritated that any one would question his methods.  Keep choking on your stubbornness Buck.  You are single handedly ruining your legacy here over one washed up pitcher.

23 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

:lol: This quote is even more ridiculous the second time you posted it!!!

I knew youd get a kick out of it 

25 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

The literal definition of a couple is two, so I guess that is Buck is talking about because Tillman has had 1 great start (7 IP, 0 ER) and one mediocre one (6 IP, 4 ER) so far in 2018. The 6 IP, 4 ER performance is a 6.00 ERA so I don't even know how that can be considered "decent" but in Tillman's world maybe that is.

Bottom line is this. Last 365 days:

1 W, 12 L, 8.79 ERA, 25 starts, 114.2 IP, 164 H, 30 HR, 65 BB, 72 K, 1.997 WHIP.

I don't have the time to look it up but I am going to say that's in the 99.99 percentile for worst performance in baseball history for a pitcher with 25 starts.

No one else in the history of baseball would be given that many chances to fail. Not Pedro Martinez, not Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax...not even Cy Young himself. But for some reason, Chris Tillman of all people, someone who was never even that good to begin with, has been given more than a season's worth of starts to put it together and hasn't.

WTH is going on here???

The "who else then" excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy. When you don't make a plan B, you can say we have no back up. 

1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I knew youd get a kick out of it 

Yeah I actually saw it live last night at Buck's presser and I threw the remote :lol:.  He is so stubborn he just cant choke this down that he blew it on Tilly last year and now again this year.  I'm sure that played in his thinking for wanting him back this year.  I'm going to show my critics how wrong they were for pinging me last year on Tilly.  

Just now, weird-O said:

The "who else then" excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy. When you don't make a plan B, you can say we have no back up. 

Yeah Buck can use that excuse and back it up with any kind of flimsy excuse.  Hess just pitched the other day and we don't want to upset his routine,  Castillo is too valuable in his current role, blah blah blah.  I think that Tim Mellville is pitching well at AAA as well.  I think he has some majors experience. He was signed for depth and this very situation.  But Buck likes his guy and his track record.

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Hess has a 2.12 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. No more of this "Who else then?" It's "next man up".

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Hess has a 2.12 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. No more of this "Who else then?" It's "next man up".

And you can add Tanner Scott to the mix. 

2 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

And you can add Tanner Scott to the mix. 

I think Scott is going to be locked in as a RP moving forward.

9 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Apparently going with a proven failure is the best option when you don't have a proven success.

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I think Scott is going to be locked in as a RP moving forward.

Yeah agree.  He looks like that late inning power LH arm we have been looking for since Miller left.  If his control comes around, I could see him as a closer. Him and Givens would make up the new back end of the pen for the re-tooled birds.  I'm so over Brach, Britton and O'Day.  Old and declining.

2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Apparently going with a proven failure is the best option when you don't have a proven success.

I'm convinced Buck is untouchable.  He can do whatever he darn well wants.  Even if it means tanking 2 seasons to prove he was right about UJ and Tilly.  This franchise is DOA with him and the Angelos 3 running the show. DOA!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Let's just pretend that a "decent game" is the same thing as a "quality start" (which itself is a 4.50 ERA or better over a 6.0 inning or more start), Tillman has had four of those over his 26 starts of 2017-2018.  And two of them were the exact definition of a QS (6.0IP/3ER).  The other two were 6.0/1 and 7.0/0.  The other 22 starts total 87IP/101ER, or an average of ~4.0IP/4.6ER per start.

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The literal definition of a couple is two, so I guess that is Buck is talking about because Tillman has had 1 great start (7 IP, 0 ER) and one mediocre one (6 IP, 4 ER) so far in 2018. The 6 IP, 4 ER performance is a 6.00 ERA so I don't even know how that can be considered "decent" but in Tillman's world maybe that is.

Bottom line is this. Last 365 days:

1 W, 12 L, 8.79 ERA, 25 starts, 114.2 IP, 164 H, 30 HR, 65 BB, 72 K, 1.997 WHIP.

I don't have the time to look it up but I am going to say that's in the 99.99 percentile for worst performance in baseball history for a pitcher with 25 starts.

No one else in the history of baseball would be given that many chances to fail. Not Pedro Martinez, not Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax...not even Cy Young himself. But for some reason, Chris Tillman of all people, someone who was never even that good to begin with, has been given more than a season's worth of starts to put it together and hasn't.

WTH is going on here???

Flaherty sold the pictures to Tillman.

18 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Flaherty sold the pictures to Tillman.

Thats the only thing that makes sense for starting Tillman.