Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

Promote. David. Hess. Now.

51 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

No one else in the history of baseball would be given that many chances to fail. Not Pedro Martinez, not Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax...not even Cy Young himself. But for some reason, Chris Tillman of all people, someone who was never even that good to begin with, has been given more than a season's worth of starts to put it together and hasn't

Except for Ubaldo. He got 4 full seasons of suckage with the occasional decent outing thrown in here and there. Even earned the right to throw away a playoff opportunity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Except for Ubaldo. He got 4 full seasons of suckage with the occasional decent outing thrown in here and there. Even earned the right to throw away a playoff opportunity!

Ubaldo at least had stretches where he was solid. We likely don't make the postseason without his run  down the stretch in 2016. That said, he left BAL with a 5.22 ERA, which would be almost 4 runs better than Tillman's ERA over the last calendar year!!!

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Ubaldo at least had stretches where he was solid. We likely don't make the postseason without his run  down the stretch in 2016. That said, he left BAL with a 5.22 ERA, which would be almost 4 runs better than Tillman's ERA over the last calendar year!!!

I hate the nitpick over who is worse.  :)  But the 2016 thing about Ubaldo gets brought up in his favor every once in a while and it drives me nuts.  He was 5-11 with a 6.50 ERA on September 1st that year.  I think it's more fair to say that they might have actually won the division (finished 4 out) or at least HOSTED the wild-card game, if he had been a decent pitcher from April through the end of August... instead of giving him credit for making it with a few decent starts in September.

But I loathed every day he stepped on the mound here for the most part, so...  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I hate the nitpick over who is worse.  :)  But the 2016 thing about Ubaldo gets brought up in his favor every once in a while and it drives me nuts.  He was 5-11 with a 6.50 ERA on September 1st that year.  I think it's more fair to say that they might have actually won the division (finished 4 out) or at least HOSTED the wild-card game, if he had been a decent pitcher from April through the end of August... instead of giving him credit for making it with a few decent starts in September.

But I loathed every day he stepped on the mound here for the most part, so...  :)

Yeah there's that, but there was probably no one else to replace him with, either.

Depth in this organization has been notoriously thin since the late 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I hate the nitpick over who is worse.  :)  But the 2016 thing about Ubaldo gets brought up in his favor every once in a while and it drives me nuts.  He was 5-11 with a 6.50 ERA on September 1st that year.  I think it's more fair to say that they might have actually won the division (finished 4 out) or at least HOSTED the wild-card game, if he had been a decent pitcher from April through the end of August... instead of giving him credit for making it with a few decent starts in September.

But I loathed every day he stepped on the mound here for the most part, so...  :)

I'm right there with you. UJ was an anchor around the neck of this team, from the day he made his first start for the O's. Horseface gets zero credit from me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hess gets his shot today!  On 3 days rest.  Be nice he can go 5 innings and keep us in the game.  Be interested to see the contrast between his stuff and Tillman.  Still scratching my head in what Buck was seeing on Tillman since spring training.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Hess gets his shot today!  On 3 days rest.  Be nice he can go 5 innings and keep us in the game.  Be interested to see the contrast between his stuff and Tillman.  Still scratching my head in what Buck was seeing on Tillman since spring training.  

So stupid. They knew this double header was coming for weeks. They knew Tillman was dunzo. They should have skipped Hess and had him pitch today on extra rest. On three days rest he’s going to go 4-5 IP tops and have a less likely chance to prove that he’s an improvement over Tillman. Another stupid decision by this organization. Similar to bringing up Gausman to start when he had the flu or polio or something. Dumb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

So stupid. They knew this double header was coming for weeks. They knew Tillman was dunzo. They should have skipped Hess and had him pitch today on extra rest. On three days rest he’s going to go 4-5 IP tops and have a less likely chance to prove that he’s an improvement over Tillman. Another stupid decision by this organization. Similar to bringing up Gausman to start when he had the flu or polio or something. Dumb!

Agree.  And Buck said they knew what they were doing :rolleyes:.  Three days rest no big deal according to him. I wonder when was the last time hess pitched on 3 days rest?   Not exactly setting this guy up for success.  I'm sure Buck was hoping Wright would be available but the short outings by Tilly and Bundy blew out the pen.  Like we haven't seen enough of Mike Wright to know he is not a ML pitcher of any sort.  Buck still doesn't see that yet, 9 ERA and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hess did throw only 85 pitches his last start so there is that. But still, dumb decision all the way around. 

And if Tillman didn’t self-immoliate his last start Castro probably starts today. So Tillman is the monkey wrench for this team’s pitching plans. Get rid of him!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Hess did throw only 85 pitches his last start so there is that. But still, dumb decision all the way around. 

And if Tillman didn’t self-immoliate his last start Castro probably starts today. So Tillman is the monkey wrench for this team’s pitching plans. Get rid of him!!!

Yeah that's why I get so sick of Buck always bemoaning the fact he has a short bullpen.  And then they have to crank up the Norfolk shuttle for fresh arms.  Earth to Buck!!!!   Maybe if Tillman could go more that an inning or 2 you wouldn't have this problem.  God,  how can he be this dense.  Tillman 7 starts and 26.2 innings.  How does that math add up on your bullpen Buckeroo???   Averaging about 3.2 innings a start.  Maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I hope Hess is good today.  Force Buck to do something on this 5th starter spot - read that no Mike Wright.  Roch already pumping out the propaganda that the O's may not trust Hess yet to be the fifth guy.  Want to see him in relief a few times.  What crap. That's just stupid if he looks decent today.  

Yeah lets ruin another starter by dumping him in long relief along with riding the Norfolk shuttle.  Start in Norfolk and the pitch relief when you come up.  Set Gausman back about 3 years.  Yeah that works Buck only if you want Tilly and Wright as the 5th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles are going to get crucified for bringing up one of their better pitching prospects on three days rest, when they're 15 games behind. In May. 

These are dark times in Baltimore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

The Orioles are going to get crucified for bringing up one of their better pitching prospects on three days rest, when they're 15 games behind. In May. 

These are dark times in Baltimore. 

Are you joking?  This is the most exciting season they've had in years!  This dumpster fire is going to burn so thoroughly that they'll have no choice but to build something new again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Are you joking?  This is the most exciting season they've had in years!  This dumpster fire is going to burn so thoroughly that they'll have no choice but to build something new again!

On a 3 game heater Slide!!!  Buck sees light at end of tunnel.  No rebuild this year.  Says Buck:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

On a 3 game heater Slide!!!  Buck sees light at end of tunnel.  No rebuild this year.  Says Buck:D

I still have faith!  This is just a momentary slide in what will be an otherwise magical season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slidemaster said:

I still have faith!  This is just a momentary slide in what will be an otherwise magical season!

Buck delusional.  He thinks this is still a good team.  No sell off.  He also thinks Chris Tillman is a MLB starter.  That's all you need to know about the guy that is basically running the O's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god,  another Tilly by Hess.  WTH is McDowell doing with these guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kid seems to have settled down and found a rhythm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Are you joking?  This is the most exciting season they've had in years!  This dumpster fire is going to burn so thoroughly that they'll have no choice but to build something new again!

In theory you are correct.  But you forget who makes the decisions for the Orioles.  Peter Angelos is not one to look at a "big picture" and strip the team down to the ground to rebuild.  Rumor has it that his health is failing and the time needed for a rebuild is not something he is going to commit to.  His sons are no better.  They have no baseball experience.  The Orioles have become more like the NFL's Cleveland Browns than an organization on the verge of competing for a championship.  They have some success every once in a while, but it is usually only for a limited time and then it's back to the bottom.  Unless there is a change in ownership this franchise has about as much chance of winning a World Series in the foreseeable future as the Browns have of winning a Super Bowl.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hess should be here to stay. Tillman should be DFA but I guess you can stick him in the Mike Wright Nuclear Mop Up role and DFA Wright, but something tells me neither thing will happen. 

#trackrecords

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Hess should be here to stay. Tillman should be DFA but I guess you can stick him in the Mike Wright Nuclear Mop Up role and DFA Wright, but something tells me neither thing will happen. 

#trackrecords

We all know there is no good reason to have either Tillman or Wright hogging up a 40 man roster spot let alone be on the 25 man team.  My god, we are 20 games below .500, so lets see what someone else can do.  Worked pretty well for Hess.  And someone like Rameriez couldn't be any worse than Wright and he has options.  Guess Buck is waiting for Wright's ERA to bust 10 before coming up with another fake injury.  Geez Louise,  Buck is maddening on how long he will hold on to a guy who just isn't any good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hess, Santander and Yacoboner sent to AAA.  Hart and Rickard up.   Mike Wright still here, LOL!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Mike Wright still here, LOL!!!!!

He's out of options, and for some bizarre reason, the Orioles seem to think someone else would claim him if they DFA'd him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Thirteen said:

He's out of options, and for some bizarre reason, the Orioles seem to think someone else would claim him if they DFA'd him.

Typical. The Orioles front office favors players they are ‘familiar with’ or who have a ‘track record’ with the team even if it sucks, over legitimate players.

And they love bringing crap players back who were on the team at some point in the past, again even if they suck.  

Maybe it saves money, effort and time on having to scout new players.  Most bizarre thing ever. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0