Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Mosby challenger Bates has plan to break Baltimore's persistent violence

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yes it will be difficult for him to start pointing at ducks and win the election.

Bates, a defense attorney and former prosecutor, says Mosby's office has been depleted of prosecutorial talent, makes too many plea deals and loses too many prosecutions of violent offenders. He also says he wants to emphasize fighting crime at its roots — among juvenile offenders, and in the communities hardest hit by violence.

For those that can actually read in the city ...this line will not fly very well.

In a city where everyone is a cousin and knows or is related to someone that has had 'issues'....well that's a non-starter for sure. 

But hopefully that SMALL PERCENTAGE will get past that and elect someone that is dedicated to locking up bad guys instead of focusing so much energy on the cops...be they good or bad and trying to lock them up.

IMHO. 

BTW with the latest revelations about De Sousa....I am wondering if a complete tear down and rebuild of the PD is the best way to go. Maybe they should do what many school districts (outside of MD) have done. They realized it was totally screwed up. Fired everyone. And made everyone re-apply. 

I wonder how long this will go on..not just the cops but everything in the city. Before some adult says 'Enough is enough' and makes it stick. 

Hmmmmmm after Hogan's re-election....????????????????????

Edited by Guido2

want to see what real criminal justice reform will look like. Look at what Philadelphia's new District Attorney is doing.

Eliminate cash bail. 

Start plea negotiations from low end of guidelines. 

no prosecutions for pot, no matter the weight.

sex workers diverted from criminal justice system 

stop violating probations for technical violations. if there are violations they will not result in more than 2 years in jail.

offer the shortest possible probationary periods. 

require the cost of incarceration to be included in sentence guidelines. In Philly $115 a day or $42000 per year. and the prosecuter must make the case that the financial cost is worth it. 

He fired every District attorney who was not down with his new plan. He has promised to personally sign every departure from his department guidelines. 

That is a plan. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/phillys-new-top-prosecutor-is-rolling-out-wild-unprecedented-criminal-justice-reforms.html

Interesting:

...prosecutors must now calculate the amount of money a sentence would cost before recommending it to a judge, and argue why the cost is justified. He estimates that it costs $115 a day, or $42,000 a year, to incarcerate one person. So, if a prosecutor seeks a three-year sentence, she must state, on the record, that it would cost taxpayers $126,000 and explain why she thinks this cost is justified. Krasner reminds his attorneys that the cost of one year of unnecessary incarceration “is in the range of the cost of one year’s salary for a beginning teacher, police officer, fire fighter, social worker, Assistant District Attorney, or addiction counselor.”

28 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Interesting:

...prosecutors must now calculate the amount of money a sentence would cost before recommending it to a judge, and argue why the cost is justified. He estimates that it costs $115 a day, or $42,000 a year, to incarcerate one person. So, if a prosecutor seeks a three-year sentence, she must state, on the record, that it would cost taxpayers $126,000 and explain why she thinks this cost is justified. Krasner reminds his attorneys that the cost of one year of unnecessary incarceration “is in the range of the cost of one year’s salary for a beginning teacher, police officer, fire fighter, social worker, Assistant District Attorney, or addiction counselor.”

Tell the 80 year old blind lady who was beaten & robbed that the defendant is not going to jail cause it costs too much. (Well, being it was Baltimore, they didn't send the CRIMINAL to jail anyway, but you see my point).

I know this is MD Government and everything costs more that the civilian world, but how about getting a company who will charge less? How about (and this is done is some Countries) requiring the defendant's families to foot the bill? Instead of social workers, make jail a BAD place that criminals don't want to be.

10 minutes ago, Lawman 27 said:

Tell the 80 year old blind lady who was beaten & robbed that the defendant is not going to jail cause it costs too much. (Well, being it was Baltimore, they didn't send the CRIMINAL to jail anyway, but you see my point).

I know this is MD Government and everything costs more that the civilian world, but how about getting a company who will charge less? How about (and this is done is some Countries) requiring the defendant's families to foot the bill? Instead of social workers, make jail a BAD place that criminals don't want to be.

Have you also figured out how to get blood from a stone? 

3 hours ago, sparky1 said:

want to see what real criminal justice reform will look like. Look at what Philadelphia's new District Attorney is doing.

Eliminate cash bail. 

stop violating probations for technical violations. if there are violations they will not result in more than 2 years in jail.

require the cost of incarceration to be included in sentence guidelines. In Philly $115 a day or $42000 per year. and the prosecuter must make the case that the financial cost is worth it. 

He fired every District attorney who was not down with his new plan. He has promised to personally sign every departure from his department guidelines. 

That is a plan. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/phillys-new-top-prosecutor-is-rolling-out-wild-unprecedented-criminal-justice-reforms.html

That's interesting but let's see if it works before it's applied elsewhere.

As one thread here said, somewhere Patricia Jessamy is smiling.

9 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Haha...She sure is.

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Have you also figured out how to get blood from a stone? 

I do not know how those Countries do it, I assume it is NOT fair and would 'shock our consciousness."

4 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Eliminate cash bail. 

That is a plan. 

I can hear it now at arraignment, " you might as well let me go now because it'll cost too much to hold me .."

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Haha...She sure is.

Here it is:

5 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Yes it will be difficult for him to start pointing at ducks and win the election.

Bates, a defense attorney and former prosecutor, says Mosby's office has been depleted of prosecutorial talent, makes too many plea deals and loses too many prosecutions of violent offenders. He also says he wants to emphasize fighting crime at its roots — among juvenile offenders, and in the communities hardest hit by violence.

For those that can actually read in the city ...this line will not fly very well.

In a city where everyone is a cousin and knows or is related to someone that has had 'issues'....well that's a non-starter for sure. 

But hopefully that SMALL PERCENTAGE will get past that and elect someone that is dedicated to locking up bad guys instead of focusing so much energy on the cops...be they good or bad and trying to lock them up.

IMHO. 

BTW with the latest revelations about De Sousa....I am wondering if a complete tear down and rebuild of the PD is the best way to go. Maybe they should do what many school districts (outside of MD) have done. They realized it was totally screwed up. Fired everyone. And made everyone re-apply. 

I wonder how long this will go on..not just the cops but everything in the city. Before some adult says 'Enough is enough' and makes it stick. 

Hmmmmmm after Hogan's re-election....????????????????????

Well I can't poke a hole in any of that. It all seems reasonable to me considering the longstanding condition of the city.

Gov.Hogan has my vote just like the last time. 🙂

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

4 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Haha...She sure is.

I remember  the cry around here was she was the problem. Get rid of her and you fix Baltimore crime. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH  :D:lol::D

Edited by bmore_ken

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I can hear it now at arraignment, " you might as well let me go now because it'll cost too much to hold me .."

:D:D:D

On 5/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, Pickle20 said:

It all sounds good in theory, but once in office, you find yourself up against the same challenges as your predecessor.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/dan-rodricks-blog/bs-roughly-speaking-bates-20180510-htmlstory.html

True but he has three times more experience to run that office than she does. He's already made a name for himself. The only thing he has to prove is that he can lead his office to successfully prosecute cases. 

Mosby will win in a landslide.  No one knows who Bates is and Mosby's not going to debate.

47 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Mosby will win in a landslide.  No one knows who Bates is and Mosby's not going to debate.

Kind of sad when the populace votes for someone that is more concerned with screwing with the PD than taking criminals off the streets. IMO. 

But ...it is Baltimore after all.....where everyone is a cousin and everyone has a cousin that has had run ins with the law. 

8 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Kind of sad when the populace votes for someone that is more concerned with screwing with the PD than taking criminals off the streets. IMO. 

But ...it is Baltimore after all.....where everyone is a cousin and everyone has a cousin that has had run ins with the law. 

The police in the city do a good job of that from top to bottom without Mosby.  Maybe you've heard some of the stories in the news over the last few years.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

The police in the city do a good job of that from top to bottom without Mosby.  Maybe you've heard some of the stories in the news over the last few years.

Ahhhhh aren't you making fruit salad here?

I am on the 'good' cops side.....Mosby....to be polite is a hack with an agenda....which just happens to appeal to 'the masses'....that is ....screw the pigs. IMO

And her useless husband is not much better. In fact with rare exception the 'Can do no wrong' city board is in that boat also. 

Do you remember the line from a Few Good Men....."you can't handle the truth'? Till the city ahhhhhhhhhhh leaders get a handle on that and call out the losers..nothing will ever change. More shootings ...more babies....more welfare ...etc. 

Edited by Guido2

7 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ahhhhh aren't you making fruit salad here?

I am on the 'good' cops side.....Mosby....to be polite is a hack with an agenda....which just happens to appeal to 'the masses'....that is ....screw the pigs. IMO

And her useless husband is not much better. In fact with rare exception the 'Can do no wrong' city board is in that boat also. 

Do you remember the line from a Few Good Men....."you can't handle the truth'? Till the city ahhhhhhhhhhh leaders get a handle on that and call out the losers..nothing will ever change. More shootings ...more babies....more welfare ...etc. 

Police need to call out the bad cops, but we've seen what happens when they do.  Former-police officer Joe Crystal is a perfect example. 

4 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Oh trust me...the criminals in Baltimore know who Bates is. He has defended quite a few of them. What propelled Ivan Bates to fame, however, was his defense of Alicia White. Unfortunately, the majority of the provincial voting populace in Baltimore would rather vote for Mosby because she is black and a female. The fact that she is inexperienced and has never been in a position of leadership means nothing to the populace. Go figure....

On 5/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, bmore_ken said:

I remember  the cry around here was she was the problem. Get rid of her and you fix Baltimore crime. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH  :D:lol::D

Wow.  People said that?  Can’t wait to see that link.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

Wow.  People said that?  Can’t wait to see that link.

You've been here long enough to have seen the posts. Stop being lazy and do your own forum search.

Edited by bmore_ken

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

You've been here long enough to have seen the posts. Stop being lazy and do your own forum search.

Got it.  Nobody said that.  I think what people said was that she was not the best person for the job.  

Edited by Dinglehopper