Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonzoliberal

The Facebook ad dump shows the true sophistication of Russia’s influence operation

70 posts in this topic

These were no amateurs...

excerpt;

The massive trove of Facebook ads House Intelligence Committee Democrats released Tuesday provides a stunning look into the true sophistication of the Russian government’s digital operations during the presidential election.

We’ve already heard a lot from the U.S. intelligence community about the hacking operation Russian intelligence services carried out against Democratic party computer networks to influence the election in favor of then-candidate Donald Trump. 

But this is the first time we have a swath of empirical and visual evidence of Russia’s disinformation campaign, in the form of more than 3,000 incredibly specific and inflammatory ads purchased by an Internet troll farm sponsored by the Kremlin.

Obama knew Russia was trying to influence our election in 2014 -- did nothing.  Nice job Barack!

2 minutes ago, Boobie said:

Obama knew Russia was trying to influence our election in 2014 -- did nothing.  Nice job Barack!

Link?

Anyone that picks a candidate over something they saw on facebook is too dumb to vote.

9 minutes ago, Boobie said:

I was sorta' hoping you knew enough about the issue to discuss it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Obama+Russian+cointel+ops&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS609US609&oq=Obama+Russian+cointel+ops&aqs=chrome..69i57.28894j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Obama's treatment of the Russian op is an interesting topic.  You should start a thread on it.

But of greater import to the future of the Republic is the relationship between Trump and Pootie, how that relationship came about, and (as my thread states) how Pootie was able to assist Donald in winning our 'election'.

41 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Anyone that picks a candidate over something they saw on facebook is too dumb to vote.

You can't make this stuff up!    Hilarious!!!!

44 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Not all voters are as equipped as yourself with native intelligence, laser focus and educated discrimination.

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Which is why Trump said he likes the uneducated, he knew they would fall for the facebook ads and vote for him.

Edited by mrsmlh

5 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

excerpt;

The massive trove of Facebook ads House Intelligence Committee Democrats released Tuesday provides a stunning look into the true sophistication of the Russian government’s digital operations during the presidential election.

We’ve already heard a lot from the U.S. intelligence community about the hacking operation Russian intelligence services carried out against Democratic party computer networks to influence the election in favor of then-candidate Donald Trump. 

But this is the first time we have a swath of empirical and visual evidence of Russia’s disinformation campaign, in the form of more than 3,000 incredibly specific and inflammatory ads purchased by an Internet troll farm sponsored by the Kremlin.

So what?  No different than propaganda that was spread years ago through different means.   Bottom line, the internet is free speech.  Unless you want to regulate content of the internet the way the FCC regulates television and radio, this is what you get.  It's up to each individual to determine what content is legitimate and what is BS.  If you can't do that, too bad.  

5 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Link?

I've shared this link at least 4 times here.  https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/politics/russia-hacking-allegations-mikheil-saakashvili/    The Russian playbook was well known as far back as 2012.  I don't know what the Obama administration could or would do about it, but the fact is that it was known well before the 2016 election.  The Georgia elections might have been a test run for the Russians.  Even if not, it gave them the idea on what to do.  The parties should have been more aware of what was being put out there and how to counter act that.  Don't expect it to stop.  The Russians have to feel they were successful.  Maybe next time they will target Trump for the Syrian bombings.  And btw, it's not like the US hasn't done the same thing.  We used methods to influence a number of elections in the past.  We just got caught off guard this time.  

10 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Electoral college quirks and Republican gerrymandering schemes aside, this is a country where it's citizens are allowed to vote and this right is respected (some people even call that "freedom").

But yeah, politics and propaganda have always appropriated the tools and techniques of advertising. Major vendors spend millions on advertising campaigns on social media like Facebook because, guess what, IT WORKS. It also works when serving the interests of odious, cynical political operators (foriegn and domestic).

In a sense you're right, huge swathes of red state America were scammed into voting against their interests. They were too dumb to discern disinformation from real information, too dumb to know they were being played like fiddle by a narissicistic power-hungry fool.

But actually, I don't blame them, not anymore. I don't blame the #MAGA trucker cap wearing morons, they're a symptom rather than a cause. Part of the blame falls on the lap of the Democratic party for failing to mobilize enough sane people to get up off their bums and vote.

Posted (edited)

I don't use Facebook, I don't Tweet or :"Like" anything, Why?

I Authored a handful of Websites starting in the late 90's with Claris 2.0 then Microsoft Front Page then Front Page 2000 finally graduating to Dreamweaver years ago when having a website was still kind of New & Fun. I knew about Domains, Hosting, loading by FTP and everything else. A couple sites had well over 100,000 hits and more. After a few years it wasn't New and Fun anymore and no one cared and Everyone had "Websites". It started being a lot of Time & Effort going in and less Fun coming out. Then a Kid at work told me "Let me show you My website!" and he pulled up his MySpace page. I said "That's just a bunch of Junk!" and told him "That's Not a Real Website!" Around then into the 2000's I was already dropping out and finally Quit. Let my Domains expire and in hindsight I should have kept 2 or 3 of them and maybe could have gotten a few bucks selling them but I just didn't care anymore. It was Fun for a while and I got a little notoriety out of it, :"Hey you're that Web Guy!" but that was it. Been there, Done that. I don't care anymore. Facebook? Big Whoop! I have other Stuff to do.

BTW, my Phone is still mostly a Phone to me. It's like a 5yr old HTC with a 5.5" screen and it's running out of space for anything but I haven't yet talked myself into getting a newer 2-3yr old HTC off Ebay for around $150 yet. I just don't do that much with it. There's No Way I'd spend more than $200 for a Phone! I have a now 2yr old Cyberpower PC that ran almost a Grand still running W7Pro and 2 Refurbed Dell laptops with W7 that only cost around $200 each. We have W10 on the work PCs and i hate it.

Edited by Bartman

20 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Not all voters are as equipped as yourself with native intelligence, laser focus and educated discrimination.

well like he said, the ones that base their votes on FB ads are stupid. But, really, what's the threat? Why are disinformation campaigns any more or less evil, insidious , or believable if they come from Russian bots as opposed to US bots? I mean we spread more disinformation ourselves than the Russians could ever hope to.

Which one of the ones shown do you think was the most sophisticated?

1) Hillary calls them racists and terrorists.

2) the KKK hooded cop pointing a gun a black kid with Skittles.

3) If Hillary wins Texas leaves.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, overtaxed said:

Took the words right out of my mouth

13 hours ago, dogstarman said:

Part of the blame falls on the lap of the Democratic party for failing to mobilize enough sane people to get up off their bums and vote.

Hillary won the popular vote. 

Posted (edited)

And? Perhaps if her and her party could get some support from other than her urban liberal enclaves she'd have won

Edited by Saticon3

On 5/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, overtaxed said:

Apparently they managed to do so anyway.

11 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Hillary won the popular vote. 

So? There were just enough people who did not vote because of complacency, sloth, or disenchantment with the Democratic party. And in retrospect, Hillary was the wrong candidate and failed to energize the base.

Combine this with results of systematic Republican gerrymandering, disinformation campaigns run by BOTH foreign and domestic actors that played off of fear, race, economic anxiety, and just plain stupidity... Yeah, it created an orifice just large enough to squeeze out a victor like Donald Trump.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, gonzoliberal said:

excerpt;

I’ll bet they regret that! 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, mrsmlh said:

Which is why Trump said he likes the uneducated, he knew they would fall for the facebook ads and vote for him.

I’d bet more HRC and Bernie voters have Facebook than Trump voters.😉

On 5/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, dogstarman said:

Electoral college quirks and Republican gerrymandering schemes aside, this is a country where it's citizens are allowed to vote and this right is respected (some people even call that "freedom").

But yeah, politics and propaganda have always appropriated the tools and techniques of advertising. Major vendors spend millions on advertising campaigns on social media like Facebook because, guess what, IT WORKS. It also works when serving the interests of odious, cynical political operators (foriegn and domestic).

In a sense you're right, huge swathes of red state America were scammed into voting against their interests. They were too dumb to discern disinformation from real information, too dumb to know they were being played like fiddle by a narissicistic power-hungry fool.

But actually, I don't blame them, not anymore. I don't blame the #MAGA trucker cap wearing morons, they're a symptom rather than a cause. Part of the blame falls on the lap of the Democratic party for failing to mobilize enough sane people to get up off their bums and vote.

Do you think the democrat party is smart enough to stop calling the citizens that voted for Trump morons, racist and homophobes? Do they think that will win them over? Although Nancy “crumbs “ Pelosi did articulate her position, but a campaign promise to raise taxes may not be a winner.

28 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

why?  Do you think Trump voters are too dumb or too old to be on Facebook?

13 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

why?  Do you think Trump voters are too dumb or too old to be on Facebook?

2 of my kids and all of my grandchildren are millennials. Every one of them have Facebook. I don’t, nor does my wife, my dad, and most of my club brothers. That’s a small sampling, but it suggests that the younger you are, the more likely you are to have Facebook. As Bill Belechick pointed out, “ I don’t have My Page or Snapface”. :lol:

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

That's OK, the old folks are "taken care of" by more "vintage" disinformation vehicles like the Fox News.