Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Dolphins in the bay?

14 posts in this topic

I've seen them here as long as I've lived here.  We've had groups come right up the West River.  Had another group swim along with our friends boat as we were leaving Lowes Wharf on TI along side Poplar Island.

This is encouraging:

Now researchers are exploring whether more dolphins are swimming up the bay, possibly invited by clearer waters, abundant submerged grasses and rebounding fisheries.

Posted (edited)

Edited by Pickle20

13 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Invisible ink? Kidding

This is great! (Do dolphins draw sharks?)

I'm surprised dolphins come up that far in the river/bay since it's highly brackish in that area.

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I'm surprised dolphins come up that far in the river/bay since it's highly brackish in that area.

There is a species of dolphin that live in fresh water. 

I never saw dolphins at OC when I was a kid. Now I see them every time. Even saw pilot whales and once a humpback whale there. Dolphins in the Bay would be awesome. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

I never saw dolphins at OC when I was a kid. Now I see them every time. Even saw pilot whales and once a humpback whale there. Dolphins in the Bay would be awesome. 

Yeah I know there are some in the Amazon ( I think ) and in China...pretty sure they're an endangered species. But these dolphins are coming up from the ocean.

I see them all the time in OC too. And I swear each year that on good days the OC water gets clearer and clearer. Sometimes you can get 4 ft visibility.

Edited by Pickle20

12 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

See humpbacks at Fenwick fairly often and have seen dolphins as long as I remember. Surprised they haven't been sighted at Assawoman bay considering the inlet.

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

See humpbacks at Fenwick fairly often and have seen dolphins as long as I remember. Surprised they haven't been sighted at Assawoman bay considering the inlet.

One was sighted at the Fishing Pier two weeks ago. 

Posted (edited)

Have heard they have been seen in past but never have seen a dolphin in Assawoman myself.

Hope the next time I take my Kayak from the condo to Hanna's I can hitch ride with flipper.

Edited by jonsensback

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

This is great! (Do dolphins draw sharks?)

Bull sharks have been caught near the  bay bridge.