Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Baltimore region became more diverse and educated in last 20 years

57 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ok....you spent 11 words. Instead of just the general towns name. 

Duh.

I'm actually surprised you don't already know where I live.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ahhhhh yyyeeeeaahhhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

So do you deny that any story posted on this forum that is even remotely positive, or not in anyway related to crime, poor schools, and the racial make-up of the city, is always shot down by posters who site crime, poor schools and the racial make-up of the city?

Those are stone cold lead pipe factoids. And redundant, boring, and kills discussion on a discussion forum.

Edited by Pickle20

Just now, Pickle20 said:

My hair is ON POINT today. :D

There is a nasty comment I could make.....but....I will not. :D

41 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Broken records.

We get it, the city sucks.

Move on. Get a life.

At least have the honesty to read the entire link instead of blowing your wad over diversity and education numbers.

Quality of life issues the region went from 2nd to 14. Surely nothing to cheer about since that is what brings new and productive residents.

:rolleyes:

Just now, Pickle20 said:

So do you deny that any story posted on this forum that is even remotely positive, or not in anyway related to crime, poor schools, and the racial make-up of the city, is always shot down by posters who site crime, poor schools and the racial make-up of the city.

Those are stone cold lead pipe factoids.

Well I see your point.

But I think that people picking apart good news about the Baltimore REGION is different than good news about the city. I don't think the negative comments are so much about the article....but rather how it tries to portray Baltimore (as part of the region) as improving....which it is not for those that do not live in affluent areas. Those areas that a the source of a majority of the cities issues. 

To put it another way; as I stated ...the numbers do not reflect improvement in the city rather it seems that the surrounding areas are overcompensating for the end result average number statistics.

If you cull out the surrounding areas numbers and left the cities numbers stand alone.....well.....quack quack. 

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

At least have the honesty to read the entire link instead of blowing your wad over diversity and education numbers.

Quality of life issues the region went from 2nd to 14. Surely nothing to cheer about since that is what brings new and productive residents.

And the question begs; Is the entire region bad.....OR....and I think this is most likely....that the city has gotten so bad....and now that city creep is setting in (thanks section 8) is it the city and it's influence (negative) that is dragging down the numbers.

As I said earlier, I wonder  if you threw out the cities numbers what the rating would be. 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

And I knew exactly what part certain individuals would hone in on. Thanks for proving me right.

Edited by Pickle20

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Broken records.

We get it, the city sucks.

Move on. Get a life.

Whom are you addressing?

27 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I saw it but thought that may you missed it, especially considering your angry remarks:

Nope, wrong. You said:

I think some might have intentionally skipped pointing that out.  

Like I said, region was in the thread title.

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Whom are you addressing?

I didn't name names purposely.

Just now, Pickle20 said:

I didn't name names purposely.

That's not helpful.

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

That's not helpful.

I was frustrated. Shouldn't have posted it but it's out there now.

6 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

And the question begs; Is the entire region bad.....OR....and I think this is most likely....that the city has gotten so bad....and now that city creep is setting in (thanks section 8) is it the city and it's influence (negative) that is dragging down the numbers.

As I said earlier, I wonder  if you threw out the cities numbers what the rating would be. 

Yeah, the counties never had any poor people until they started moving out from the City.

Just now, Baltimatt said:

Yeah, the counties never had any poor people until they started moving out from the City.

Didn't say that matt.

And regardless I have no problem with poor people.... I have problems with the criminal element and all the baggage it brings. 

Which if you look at the B counties numbers  has been going up and I speculate almost in conjunction with the city moving it's problems to the burbs. 

No stats no numbers....just a gut feeling, some casual reading and just observation here in good ol' Woodlawn. 

27 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

And I knew exactly what part certain individuals would hone in on. Thanks for proving me right.

If you are looking to purchase a used car....and one of the tires is flat....it is hard to overlook. 

9 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

So do you deny that any story posted on this forum that is even remotely positive, or not in anyway related to crime, poor schools, and the racial make-up of the city, is always shot down by posters who site crime, poor schools and the racial make-up of the city?

Those are stone cold lead pipe factoids. And redundant, boring, and kills discussion on a discussion forum.

9 hours ago, Guido2 said:

As predictable as the sunrise :lol:

20 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Complaining about the city and black folks is like a drug to those around here.

Really hard to understand all the anger and discord about this post. The post generally shows how the Baltimore Metro region is getting better. There would be no balto metro region without Baltimore City. It is the most important social, economic, and cultural driver in the state and is the reason people want to live in the Balto Metro area. Crime and an eroding tax base have caused Baltimore inordinate problems. But, lets not forget that it is Baltimore City that created these livable suburbs. 

as a counterweight, there is this article from the Sun on some exciting developments in real estate, and what is going on in the city to accomodate the new arrivals. http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/real-estate/bs-bz-small-apartment-buildings-20180504-story.html 

13 hours ago, sparky1 said:

Really hard to understand all the anger and discord about this post. The post generally shows how the Baltimore Metro region is getting better. There would be no balto metro region without Baltimore City. It is the most important social, economic, and cultural driver in the state and is the reason people want to live in the Balto Metro area. Crime and an eroding tax base have caused Baltimore inordinate problems. But, lets not forget that it is Baltimore City that created these livable suburbs. 

as a counterweight, there is this article from the Sun on some exciting developments in real estate, and what is going on in the city to accomodate the new arrivals. http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/real-estate/bs-bz-small-apartment-buildings-20180504-story.html 

Already a thread, but very few responses.

I'd take some Issue that it was Baltimore City that was the driver. In my lifetime on the East/Southeast side I've seen plenty of Industry disappear, GM, Western Electric, Sparrows Point Beth Steel and all the ancillary companies that fed them or finished their product like Eastern Stainless. Armco Steel was in the city limits along with Continental can next to them. They're long gone. I just noticed the other day that the big Paint Plant, I think it was once Sherwin Williams off Edison Hwy has all been knocked down and the Textile plant across from the Eastern District police station has been leveled. The neighborhoods all in that Eastern area where I've lived my whole life have all gone downhill when once it was full of Working families. I'm sure others living in other areas can tell the same stories around other parts of the city near the borders where other Companies/Corporations had large facilities. I've spent 40+ years in the Marine Industry at the Ports, at least that has remained viable but there have been changes. I'm figuring on Retiring at 70 in a few more years if I make it to then.

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

I'd take some Issue that it was Baltimore City that was the driver. In my lifetime on the East/Southeast side I've seen plenty of Industry disappear, GM, Western Electric, Sparrows Point Beth Steel and all the ancillary companies that fed them or finished their product like Eastern Stainless. Armco Steel was in the city limits along with Continental can next to them. They're long gone. I just noticed the other day that the big Paint Plant, I think it was once Sherwin Williams off Edison Hwy has all been knocked down and the Textile plant across from the Eastern District police station has been leveled. The neighborhoods all in that Eastern area where I've lived my whole life have all gone downhill when once it was full of Working families. I'm sure others living in other areas can tell the same stories around other parts of the city near the borders where other Companies/Corporations had large facilities. I've spent 40+ years in the Marine Industry at the Ports, at least that has remained viable but there have been changes. I'm figuring on Retiring at 70 in a few more years if I make it to then.

You just made the point that Baltimore City is the driver. All those companies you mentioned is what made the suburbs possible. 

16 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

You just made the point that Baltimore City is the driver. All those companies you mentioned is what made the suburbs possible. 

It was Erdman Ave that changes into North Point Blvd where everyone in that area of the city drove to the county Dundalk & North Point where all the Companies and Plants were. It remains a main artery in that area. It was a real Pain the last year or more when they had one of the railroad underpasses by Kane St closed. They finally finished that work a month or so ago. My point was that all those Large Industries are Gone now. Just noticed the other day that the Cummins Diesel place on Holabird & Broening Hwy has been knocked down. What was it, Lever Bros that had their big plant there on Holabird too and that's been gone for years now. All that's being built all around there are all big distribution warehouses like the Humongous Amazon facility. The Industries where we Made stuff are all Gone!

22 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

No he didnt.....

He did exactly the opposite, argued that baltimores days of being the ecinomic driver are over ......

Not saying he proved it, but that's the point he tried to make.....

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

No he didnt.....

He did exactly the opposite, argued that baltimores days of being the ecinomic driver are over ......

Not saying he proved it, but that's the point he tried to make.....

As usual you missed the point. sparky's post said there would have never been suburbs without without those Baltimore City jobs. Even still to this day, where would Maryland be without schools like Hopkins and  U of M, and businesses like T Rowe Price, Under Armour,  the Port,etc. The city isn't as prominent as it once was, but it still drives Maryland. 

I find it amazing no matter what the good news is , some of you still find a way to bash the city no matter what. 

Edited by bmore_ken

57 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

As usual you missed the point. sparky's post said there would have never been suburbs without without those Baltimore City jobs. Even still to this day, where would Maryland be without schools like Hopkins and  U of M, and businesses like T Rowe Price, Under Armour,  the Port,etc. The city isn't as prominent as it once was, but it still drives Maryland. 

I find it amazing no matter what the good news is , some of you still find a way to bash the city no matter what. 

Yet we're the ones saying "everything is great in Baltimore!" :lol:

They're the ones who see things one way...not us.