Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Republicans move to protect white voters on the dole

334 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Haven't done that but only because my husband doesn't have a cell phone.  When he retired, he got rid of his watch and cell phone and refuses to replace them.

I’m jealous. If I wasn’t in the MC I would do the same thing!

1 minute ago, mrsmlh said:

You apparently don't care about the stagnant low wages being giving to workers, I do.  I think workers should be able to work 1 job to support themselves not need 2 or 3, working almost 24/7 just to make ends meet.

Those types of jobs don't just grow on trees.   You have to go find them.   You may have to learn a skill for them.   You can't just sit on your sofa and wait for it to arrive.  

It is not about caring.   It is about responsibility.  

17 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Those types of jobs don't just grow on trees.   You have to go find them.   You may have to learn a skill for them.   You can't just sit on your sofa and wait for it to arrive.  

It is not about caring.   It is about responsibility.  

Right because everyone who works a retail or restaurant type job is just too lazy to find a better job. 

9 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Right because everyone who works a retail or restaurant type job is just too lazy to find a better job. 

Rubbish.   There is no good job fairy that runs around helping people.  You have to try.

54 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I can only do it on my phone. It’s an IPhone 8 I think. But if I have to post a copied link, I gotta go home on my laptop. I’m barely hanging on with this new tech stuff.

Thanks....no biggy don't worry about it. Yah tech....even with my background it is tough to keep up. Having a running battle with MS....I want to post/share my calendar so my wife and I know what the othere is going on....supposed to be a snap...Ha ....wasted 3 days w/ MS tech...they are clueless. should be ....open Outlook....calendar....select calendar....share with...done. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

17 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Rubbish.   There is no good job fairy that runs around helping people.  You have to try.

I get it, all workers don't deserve a decent wage.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

Haven't done that but only because my husband doesn't have a cell phone.  When he retired, he got rid of his watch and cell phone and refuses to replace them.

Your husband is a wise man. I am finding almost everyday that fancy cells and the latest and greatest computer/os is nothing but a rat hole of untested garbage. It seems that they are using the customers as Q & A and testing. Especially MS lately the first version of win 10 had more broken things than working things. :mad:

As I said I have been dancing with tech support and their pages.....I see problems ....BLATANT....problems that were posted on day onE AND STILL NOT FIXED. 

if NOT for my wife and my sister and kids.... I would throw away my Android and buy a Cricket flip top 'Star Trek'  model through AARP. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

8 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Every worker deserves a decent wage....for work performed.

However we as a society are straddling uncharted territory in that regard. As we know...in years past a person could earn a decent living turning nuts on an assembly line with a HS education or less....while others went onto college and higher paying jobs. 

Now ....since nut twisting jobs have gone away that pay well or are very limited. The majority of  HS or less jobs are now in the service sector...like flipping hamburgers. Which even back in the day were not meant to support families. But for some...that is all there is. 

And as we well know....companies are out to make as much money as possible with as little cost as possible....so paying a 'living wage' is not in their cards  unless forced to. Which especially with the gooberment in DC now.....fat chance that is going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Every worker deserves a decent wage....for work performed.

However we as a society are straddling uncharted territory in that regard. As we know...in years past a person could earn a decent living turning nuts on an assembly line with a HS education or less....while others went onto college and higher paying jobs. 

Now ....since nut twisting jobs have gone away that pay well or are very limited. The majority of  HS or less jobs are now in the service sector...like flipping hamburgers. Which even back in the day were not meant to support families. But for some...that is all there is. 

And as we well know....companies are out to make as much money as possible with as little cost as possible....so paying a 'living wage' is not in their cards  unless forced to. Which especially with the gooberment in DC now.....fat chance that is going to happen. 

I don't understand some people.  They biotch about people being on welfare but don't think a company should have to pay a decent wage. I'm not saying that flipping burgers should pay enough to support a family but it should pay enough to support the worker. They just say that the person should get a better job.  If all the wait staff in all the restaurants decided to quit and get a better paying job where would they find these better paying jobs?  They people say they should get an education but to get an education they have to go into debt.  It's a vicious circle for some.

15 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Your husband is a wise man. I am finding almost everyday that fancy cells and the latest and greatest computer/os is nothing but a rat hole of untested garbage. It seems that they are using the customers as Q & A and testing. Especially MS lately the first version of win 10 had more broken things than working things. :mad:

As I said I have been dancing with tech support and their pages.....I see problems ....BLATANT....problems that were posted on day onE AND STILL NOT FIXED. 

if NOT for my wife and my sister and kids.... I would throw away my Android and buy a Cricket flip top 'Star Trek'  model through AARP. :lol:

The problem I have with my husband ditching his cell phone is now he just wants me to text the kids/grandkids and google everything for him instead of him doing it himself. 

36 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Correct.   You're not going to raise a family, get nice house and nice car and pay for the kids college by being a fry cook at McDonalds.   That is reality.  Caring has nothing to do with it.

15 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Correct.   You're not going to raise a family, get nice house and nice car and pay for the kids college by being a fry cook at McDonalds.   That is reality.  Caring has nothing to do with it.

Nobody said anything about getting a nice house, nice car and paying for college.  We're talking about simply having a roof over your head and food on the table and paying the basic bills.  Sorry, but even if you work as a fry cook if you put in an honest full-time week as that, then you shouldn't need food stamps or welfare or anything.  

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Nobody said anything about getting a nice house, nice car and paying for college.  We're talking about simply having a roof over your head and food on the table and paying the basic bills.  Sorry, but even if you work as a fry cook if you put in an honest full-time week as that, then you shouldn't need food stamps or welfare or anything.  

Yes, thank you.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

I said that it is a shame that it takes both parents working 2 jobs to support a family because of low wages because CEO's have to have so much more.  Posters replied that they should get a better job.  Nobody said they were in a job that they hated. 

You also forget, some parents worked 2 jobs because they wanted to give their kids so much more. My wife worked a 2nd part time job so our oldest could go to a private high school.

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Yes, thank you.

For what?  It is a nearly no skill low paying job.   Fry cook is a job for part timers and teenagers.   No amount of 'caring' is going to change that.      

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You also forget, some parents worked 2 jobs because they wanted to give their kids so much more. My wife worked a 2nd part time job so our oldest could go to a private high school.

That's different, she choose to do for a luxury not a necessity.  I'm referring to the parents who have to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet because their paychecks are so low.

52 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I don't understand some people.  They biotch about people being on welfare but don't think a company should have to pay a decent wage. I'm not saying that flipping burgers should pay enough to support a family but it should pay enough to support the worker. They just say that the person should get a better job.  If all the wait staff in all the restaurants decided to quit and get a better paying job where would they find these better paying jobs?  They people say they should get an education but to get an education they have to go into debt.  It's a vicious circle for some.

I hope you are not including me in that group. 

I think I posted it someplace earlier ....a link that  broke down what states pay how much...this isn't it....but it says a lot. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/09/16/is-welfare-the-highest-paying-entry-level-job-in-35-states-read-the-study-again/?utm_term=.b61e84cbc5bc

And this the WP... not some damn tweet.....read it....it's interesting for a view of both sides pro and con. 

'Welfare paid more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher in 11 states, more than the starting wage for a secretary in 39 states, and more take-home money than an entry-level computer programmer in the three most generous states.'

Look at that....wages for people that have advanced training or college...make less and have to pay off additional training dept.

What inspiration is there for a drop out?

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Same with teachers......how many teachers have you heard about in the news that are working two jobs and/or are on food stamps? And with a f'kn college degree(s) no less.  Now that is sad. I get someone flipping burgers.....but a college graduate?

Pick a card ...any card..............

https://www.bing.com/search?q=teachers+on+food+stamps&form=EDGSPH&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=5af1d1d410404ba2b59b7b7871ffcdd5&PC=ACTS&sp=1&ghc=1&qs=AS&pq=teachers+on+food&sc=1-16&cvid=5af1d1d410404ba2b59b7b7871ffcdd5&cc=US&setlang=en-US

Edited by Guido2

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I hope you are not including me in that group. 

I think I posted it someplace earlier ....a link that  broke down what states pay how much...this isn't it....but it says a lot. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/09/16/is-welfare-the-highest-paying-entry-level-job-in-35-states-read-the-study-again/?utm_term=.b61e84cbc5bc

And this the WP... not some damn tweet.....read it....it's interesting for a view of both sides pro and con. 

'Welfare paid more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher in 11 states, more than the starting wage for a secretary in 39 states, and more take-home money than an entry-level computer programmer in the three most generous states.'

Look at that....wages for people that have advanced training or college...make less and have to pay off additional training dept.

What inspiration is there for a drop out?

No I wasn't talking about you.

You have to taken into consideration the cost of living in the states as well which skews the welfare pay:

"The biggest welfare package was in Hawaii, at $49,175. (Hawaii’s data may be distorted because of the high cost of living, researchers wrote.) The lowest was in Mississippi, at $16,984."

A person in Hawaii is going to need more to survive than a person in Mississippi needs so therefore the welfare check is going to be a lot higher in Hawaii than it is in Mississippi.

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

No I wasn't talking about you.

You have to taken into consideration the cost of living in the states as well which skews the welfare pay:

"The biggest welfare package was in Hawaii, at $49,175. (Hawaii’s data may be distorted because of the high cost of living, researchers wrote.) The lowest was in Mississippi, at $16,984."

A person in Hawaii is going to need more to survive than a person in Mississippi needs so therefore the welfare check is going to be a lot higher in Hawaii than it is in Mississippi.

Oh I don't deny the cost of living aspect. 

But when you look at the numbers as a whole....way too many people appear to have it better by not working. And probably more importantly...it is sad commentary when a teacher....regardless of what state....makes less....and has to pay debt off. Not every state....but too many. 

Kinda sad when you can be brain dead and make more money that someone out of colleges with maybe multiple degrees and certs. Maryland is not one of those states but you really have to love teaching IMHO since you can make equal or better as a manager at a big box store. And when you go home....you are done. 

16 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Oh I don't deny the cost of living aspect. 

But when you look at the numbers as a whole....way too many people appear to have it better by not working. And probably more importantly...it is sad commentary when a teacher....regardless of what state....makes less....and has to pay debt off. Not every state....but too many. 

Kinda sad when you can be brain dead and make more money that someone out of colleges with maybe multiple degrees and certs. Maryland is not one of those states but you really have to love teaching IMHO since you can make equal or better as a manager at a big box store. And when you go home....you are done. 

Teachers in Jamaica and some other islands are considered top of the line professionals and get paid more than the local doctors and lawyers.  Here they are maybe a notch above that fry cook at McDonald's.  It's a shame for sure.

I know this won't be popular, especially on here, but this is just a guess, a possibility if you will. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was unusual for mothers to work outside the home. On my street where I lived in the 60s, there was one mom that worked outside the house, and she was a teacher. Back then, if a mom worked outside the house, she was a teacher, a nurse (long before male nurses) or something considered a "womans job". Now, it's unusual for a mom not to work outside the home. Is it possible the job market, especially ones that were stereotypical "mens" like cop, firefighter, letter carrier etc, became flooded. That, along with society kinda looking down their nose at the stay at home mom, played a part in the disappearing living wage? I don't know. Spitballing here. If not, what happened from 1970 on? Why can't a man support a family with one job?

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Teachers in Jamaica and some other islands are considered top of the line professionals and get paid more than the local doctors and lawyers.  Here they are maybe a notch above that fry cook at McDonald's.  It's a shame for sure.

Respect for teaching as well as the elderly has been lost in the US for some time now. There are many countries (such as Japan) that still do.  

Many ...most I guess still subscribe to the 'Those that can do...do....those that can't ...teach.'. 

When teaching in the IT business world and college....I always loved the know it all big mouth that 'knew everything' and I was wrong.:rolleyes:

Solution....and it worked everytime.....

So....Mr(s). Smith....you seem to have a GGGRRREEEATTTTT understanding of the material that I am presenting....far more than I have. Well I suggest you teach the remainder of the lesson. I then carefully and neatly placed  the text and the notes for my lecture on the desk in front of him/her with a smile.

So class....I think we'll take a break now....to give Mr(s) Smith the time to organize his thoughts and the rest of the class...be all back here in 10 minutes.

When we returned Mr(s). Smith  was no longer to be found....and many times did not return.

If it is so easy....YOU DO IT.

No takers....not once in 30 years. And if you are wondering....no....repercussions  from on high.

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I know this won't be popular, especially on here, but this is just a guess, a possibility if you will. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was unusual for mothers to work outside the home. On my street where I lived in the 60s, there was one mom that worked outside the house, and she was a teacher. Back then, if a mom worked outside the house, she was a teacher, a nurse (long before male nurses) or something considered a "womans job". Now, it's unusual for a mom not to work outside the home. Is it possible the job market, especially ones that were stereotypical "mens" like cop, firefighter, letter carrier etc, became flooded. That, along with society kinda looking down their nose at the stay at home mom, played a part in the disappearing living wage? I don't know. Spitballing here. If not, what happened from 1970 on? Why can't a man support a family with one job?

To play the devils' advocate, the above may not be entirely accurate. During WWII women entered the workforce en masse, building aircraft, tanks and every imaginable sort of war materiel up until the end of the war. Both of my grandmothers worked outside the home from the onset of the war until their retirement in the late 50's - early 60's; one at Black and Decker, the other at Bendix. Even after the end of the war, the government encouraged women to leave the workforce, ostensively to allow men returning from the war to pick up readily available jobs, however this turned out not to be necessary as may women chose to retain their wartime jobs even while rearing families, with, of course, the assistance and support of their spouses; who, in the post-war economy, had little problem finding work. Continuing the trend, my mother and future mother-in-law (and many other women) ended up working at least part time or at times full time, working, as our Mom's were growing up as teachers, nurses, secretaries, etc;, hastening the evolution of the two-income family. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by blowboatbethesda

11 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Respect for teaching as well as the elderly has been lost in the US for some time now. There are many countries (such as Japan) that still do.  

Many ...most I guess still subscribe to the 'Those that can do...do....those that can't ...teach.'. 

When teaching in the IT business world and college....I always loved the know it all big mouth that 'knew everything' and I was wrong.:rolleyes:

Solution....and it worked everytime.....

So....Mr(s). Smith....you seem to have a GGGRRREEEATTTTT understanding of the material that I am presenting....far more than I have. Well I suggest you teach the remainder of the lesson. I then carefully and neatly placed  the text and the notes for my lecture on the desk in front of him/her with a smile.

So class....I think we'll take a break now....to give Mr(s) Smith the time to organize his thoughts and the rest of the class...be all back here in 10 minutes.

When we returned Mr(s). Smith  was no longer to be found....and many times did not return.

If it is so easy....YOU DO IT.

No takers....not once in 30 years. And if you are wondering....no....repercussions  from on high.

And that whole they only work 6 hours a day for 180 days a year bs really gets me.  To be able to show an idiot just how hard teaching is would be awesome to me. Not sure how many times I've wanted to do something like you were able to do.