Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Republicans move to protect white voters on the dole

334 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

And that whole they only work 6 hours a day for 180 days a year bs really gets me.  To be able to show an idiot just how hard teaching is would be awesome to me. Not sure how many times I've wanted to do something like you were able to do. 

OK....I unfortunately have to slot you with the 'Those that can....' group for that statement. 

Yes officially on paper that is what they are paid for. That is NOT the hours and days they work at least the ones that are not in the 'Those that can....' category.

My typical schedule:

- Report 1 hour before official school opening to be available to monitor bus arrivals and get them into the cafeteria for breakfast.

- Classes start around 8 ...go till 2:15 ....so already I have put in 7 hours.

- My school required that teachers provide after school extra help/mentoring once per week MANDATORY. Plus throw in one or two students that asked for even more help most everyday.....so figure on average and additional 1 per day.....so we are up to 8 hours.

- You have to have lessons plans....every teacher does. Say you wrote up lesson plans for the week over the weekend (add at least 1-2 hours per class you teach) I taught 4 classes x 2 = 8. So we are up to 9 hours per work day. These lessons have to be submitted the prior week to the actual lessons to admin. Why you say? Well if one of the admins drops in for a spot check of a class.....YOU BETTER DAMN WELL BE ON THAT DAYS LESSON PLAN AS SUBMITTED.

- So what that means is, if you have teaching slippage on a Monday.....you HAVE TO RE-WRITE Tuesdays lesson plan and subsequent plans to accomidate the slippeage. Heaven help you is they don't jive....you got dinged. That means that you can add another hour a day doing the re-writes to make the admin happy. Ohhh and NO scratching out dates....you have to write in what objectives were acheieved on Monday....and then do a complete re-write with the ones that weren't...a domino affect. So far we are up to 9 hours.

- Oh and if you teach IT or a 'hard' science (chemistry for example). You have to set up the labs for the next day. That can be 1 hour or 4 depending. But lets go with just 1 hour. Now we are up to 10.

- Lastly you get home. generally I had about 2 hours work of papers to mark. So now we are up to 11 hours.

- Did I forget to mention the mandatory sports events attendance on Saturdays or after school. I spent about 4 hours taking tickets etc at the schools home football games. Or chaperoning the proms, or Parents Night or Special meetings...before and after school?

- On the weekends...our free time right? Nope, more marking papers and what I mentioned above. Average 2-3 hours per day. 

-Did I mention the additional college classes to keep your credentials up...that you MUST do....to keep your job. Your time...usually your dime. Figure 2 college class meetings or on-line classes...twice a week for 2 hours each meeting. Plus homework. 

- I Did forget to mention that in some cases ....teachers....even after the summer is started may be required to devote days of unpaid time to set up and conduct recruitment classes to get kids and parents interested in the school.....think open house. 

That is short list off the top of my head.

So bottom line.... I can't speak for others school systems....but working for Balt. county is not 6 hours 180 days. 

Add it up...look at the numbers....at least in my case if I worked the numbers..... I am pretty sure the time spent on my part is equal or greater to anyone working a 'normal' job.....for a LOT less pay. 

IMHO

Edited by Guido2

43 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

OK....I unfortunately have to slot you with the 'Those that can....' group for that statement. 

Yes officially on paper that is what they are paid for. That is NOT the hours and days they work at least the ones that are not in the 'Those that can....' category.

My typical schedule:

- Report 1 hour before official school opening to be available to monitor bus arrivals and get them into the cafeteria for breakfast.

- Classes start around 8 ...go till 2:15 ....so already I have put in 7 hours.

- My school required that teachers provide after school extra help/mentoring once per week MANDATORY. Plus throw in one or two students that asked for even more help most everyday.....so figure on average and additional 1 per day.....so we are up to 8 hours.

- You have to have lessons plans....every teacher does. Say you wrote up lesson plans for the week over the weekend (add at least 1-2 hours per class you teach) I taught 4 classes x 2 = 8. So we are up to 9 hours per work day. These lessons have to be submitted the prior week to the actual lessons to admin. Why you say? Well if one of the admins drops in for a spot check of a class.....YOU BETTER DAMN WELL BE ON THAT DAYS LESSON PLAN AS SUBMITTED.

- So what that means is, if you have teaching slippage on a Monday.....you HAVE TO RE-WRITE Tuesdays lesson plan and subsequent plans to accomidate the slippeage. Heaven help you is they don't jive....you got dinged. That means that you can add another hour a day doing the re-writes to make the admin happy. Ohhh and NO scratching out dates....you have to write in what objectives were acheieved on Monday....and then do a complete re-write with the ones that weren't...a domino affect. So far we are up to 9 hours.

- Oh and if you teach IT or a 'hard' science (chemistry for example). You have to set up the labs for the next day. That can be 1 hour or 4 depending. But lets go with just 1 hour. Now we are up to 10.

- Lastly you get home. generally I had about 2 hours work of papers to mark. So now we are up to 11 hours.

- Did I forget to mention the mandatory sports events attendance on Saturdays or after school. I spent about 4 hours taking tickets etc at the schools home football games. Or chaperoning the proms, or Parents Night or Special meetings...before and after school?

- On the weekends...our free time right? Nope, more marking papers and what I mentioned above. Average 2-3 hours per day. 

-Did I mention the additional college classes to keep your credentials up...that you MUST do....to keep your job. Your time...usually your dime. Figure 2 college class meetings or on-line classes...twice a week for 2 hours each meeting. Plus homework. 

- I Did forget to mention that in some cases ....teachers....even after the summer is started may be required to devote days of unpaid time to set up and conduct recruitment classes to get kids and parents interested in the school.....think open house. 

That is short list off the top of my head.

So bottom line.... I can't speak for others school systems....but working for Balt. county is not 6 hours 180 days. 

Add it up...look at the numbers....at least in my case if I worked the numbers..... I am pretty sure the time spent on my part is equal or greater to anyone working a 'normal' job.....for a LOT less pay. 

IMHO

Please re-read the line that you quoted me as saying.  I get upset when people say on 6 hours 180 days. I called it bs that anyone should think teachers only work that amount of time.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Please re-read the line that you quoted me as saying.  I get upset when people say on 6 hours 180 days. I called it bs that anyone should think teachers only work that amount of time.

I did....and I did before and I did again just now. I 'sounded' like you were on the 'Those that can....bandwagon' but you clarified that. So were good.

But regardless......my outline....is....as I said ....just the top of my head. I also forgot to mention time on the schools computer system addressing kids problems with assignments and such at pretty much any time I was home via the lab site/chats/blogs/email and such. 

As I said I challenge ANYONE that has never been a teacher to try it....while I do their job (well not brain surgery :D)

. I wonder who will do better. ;)

Edited by Guido2

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I did....and I did before and I did again just now. I 'sounded' like you were on the 'Those that can....bandwagon' but you clarified that. So were good.

But regardless......my outline....is....as I said ....just the top of my head. I also forgot to mention time on the schools computer system addressing kids problems with assignments and such at pretty much any time I was home via the lab site/chats/blogs/email and such. 

As I said I challenge ANYONE that has never been a teacher to try it....while I do their job (well not brain surgery :D)

. I wonder who will do better. ;)

I have numerous relatives and friends who were or currently are teachers so I know exactly what a teacher's job entails and I have the utmost respect for teachers.

My sister taught high school math for about 8 years before deciding to get her CPA license, a friend taught middle school math for 30 years in Baltimore County, my neighbor's daughter teaches special education in Harford County and my niece teachers 4 grade in Queen Anne's County plus a few friends teaching in the community colleges throughout the area.

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I have numerous relatives and friends who were or currently are teachers so I know exactly what a teacher's job entails and I have the utmost respect for teachers.

My sister taught high school math for about 8 years before deciding to get her CPA license, a friend taught middle school math for 30 years in Baltimore County, my neighbor's daughter teaches special education in Harford County and my niece teachers 4 grade in Queen Anne's County plus a few friends teaching in the community colleges throughout the area.

Well obviously you have the background....and what you typed and what I interpreted it as was a misunderstanding. So we are good.

Maybe some of the group that thinks 'Those that can............' will read what I typed and get a better insight. 

It would be interested ....if you could send what I typed above to those you know that teach/taught and see how their schedules line(d) up. Maybe I just had a dictator Principle. But I doubt it....we IT instructors always stayed in touch....their stories were pretty much the same. 

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well obviously you have the background....and what you typed and what I interpreted it as was a misunderstanding. So we are good.

Maybe some of the group that thinks 'Those that can............' will read what I typed and get a better insight. 

It would be interested ....if you could send what I typed above to those you know that teach/taught and see how their schedules line(d) up. Maybe I just had a dictator Principle. But I doubt it....we IT instructors always stayed in touch....their stories were pretty much the same. 

Don't have to forward you schedule because I know from talking to my family and friends that their schedules were/are very similar. 

46 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Don't have to forward you schedule because I know from talking to my family and friends that their schedules were/are very similar. 

Good enough for me!

And now I can honestly say to my wife 'No dear....all those hours I put in....was NOT because I am obsessive.....it was what needed to be done. :D

11 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Good enough for me!

And now I can honestly say to my wife 'No dear....all those hours I put in....was NOT because I am obsessive.....it was what needed to be done. :D

IMO all good teachers are obsessive :D

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

IMO all good teachers are obsessive :D

:)