Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Smaller apartment conversions provide more affordable living spaces

5 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/real-estate/bs-bz-small-apartment-buildings-20180504-story.html

Some of Baltimore’s newest apartment towers offer posh amenities such as rooftop pools, yoga studios and dog spas, but many city renters would be content with a new washer-dryer and a bike rack — and want to pay far less.

In the shadow of several flashy projects open or underway near the Inner Harbor, where rents range from $2,000 for a small studio to $8,000 a month for the penthouse, Baltimore is seeing a steady stream of smaller, more affordable new apartment projects.

They generally ask less than $1,500 a month and cater largely to young single people new to Baltimore. They reuse commercial or industrial buildings close to where people work or go out, with tax credits and other financing making the dollars work. And some hope the projects may help offset population losses in neighborhoods elsewhere in the city that are seeing far less investment.

Good idea.  I just shake my head at some of the rents charged on these major developments.  Glad more affordable units can be built as well, and according to the article, they lease quickly.

5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/real-estate/bs-bz-small-apartment-buildings-20180504-story.html

Good idea.  I just shake my head at some of the rents charged on these major developments.  Glad more affordable units can be built as well, and according to the article, they lease quickly.

This is catching on in many locations, including Frederick. Not every apartment building needs to be awash with amenities and drive up the rent. So this is good to see. Might also help people who want to move out of their 'hood and into a decent building.

I always thought the re-use of shipping contrainers was a good idea. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/02/26/shipping-container-apartments/24076583/

Seems that there is a glut of these contrainers due to the trade imbalance.....many companies just leave them here....since there is nothing going back....it is cheaper to just write them off and can be purchased for a song. 

What a great idea to fill in those spaces where row homes have been demolished. IMO

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, Pickle20 said:

This is catching on in many locations, including Frederick. Not every apartment building needs to be awash with amenities and drive up the rent. So this is good to see. Might also help people who want to move out of their 'hood and into a decent building.

When I first moved here from NJ....my first 'apartment' was in someone's cellar. I had to provide my own hot plate and toaster oven. My amenity was that I had my own bathroom with a shower. :D

Edited by Guido2