Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Millenials buying houses

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I think many people who move out of the city to the suburbs as they have families aren’t necessarily doing it strictly for financial reasons. People come from the suburbs to the city for college, stick around after graduation in their 20s, then move back to the suburbs because that’s what they know. Raising kids in an apartment probably isn’t what many of them ever intended on.

There are plenty of houses in Baltimore City. I've seen them. Crime and bad schools is why those graduates move out of the city when it's time to raise a family.

Edited by bmore_ken

8 hours ago, songfourone said:

Geez whiz I wonder what caused that?

:rolleyes:

The lowest home ownership rate in 51 years. True, millennials weren’t buying, but you can blame that on the lack of steady employment. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I think many people who move out of the city to the suburbs as they have families aren’t necessarily doing it strictly for financial reasons. People come from the suburbs to the city for college, stick around after graduation in their 20s, then move back to the suburbs because that’s what they know. Raising kids in an apartment probably isn’t what many of them ever intended on.

That’s true too. 

Overrall, I think city life nowadays isn’t as family friendly as it used to be. 

Its great for single people or married people with no children. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Manny said:

The lowest home ownership rate in 51 years. True, millennials weren’t buying, but you can blame that on the lack of steady employment. 

Last year it rose for the first time since 2004. I would blame the cost of college tuition more than the lack of steady employment. The job market has been strong since 2014...

—————

The U.S. homeownership rate rose in 2017 for the first time in 13 years, driven by young buyers who overcame rising prices, tight supply and strict lending conditions to purchase their first homes.

The annual increase marks a crucial turning point because it comes after the federal government reined in bubble-era policies that encouraged banks to ease lending standards to boost homeownership.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/homeownership-rate-rises-in-2017-for-first-time-since-2004-1517334537

——————-

Despite being in the prime years to buy their first home, an overwhelming majority of millennials with student debt currently do not own a home and believe this debt is to blame for what they typically expect to be a seven-year delay from buying.

This is according to a new joint study on millennial student loan debt released today by the National Association of Realtors® and nonprofit American Student Assistance®. The survey additionally revealed that student debt is holding back millennials from financial decisions and personal milestones, such as adequately saving for retirement, changing careers, continuing their education, marrying and having children.

NAR and ASA’s new study found that only 20 percent of millennial respondents currently own a home, and that they are typically carrying a student debt load ($41,200) that surpasses their annual income ($38,800). Most respondents borrowed money to finance their education at a four-year college (79 percent), and slightly over half (51 percent) are repaying a balance of over $40,000.

https://www.nar.realtor/newsroom/student-debt-delaying-millennial-homeownership-by-7-years

Edited by soulflower

Obama really doesn’t have a positive legacy. His election was indeed historic. That should never be projected as successful though. What is most ironic is his unwavering support among African Americans. I get the sentimental thing but African Americans have already done better in a little over a year with Trump than they did the entire 8 years of Obama. I know that’s a bitter pill for the left. 

30 minutes ago, Manny said:

Obama really doesn’t have a positive legacy. His election was indeed historic. That should never be projected as successful though. What is most ironic is his unwavering support among African Americans. I get the sentimental thing but African Americans have already done better in a little over a year with Trump than they did the entire 8 years of Obama. I know that’s a bitter pill for the left. 

Good luck with that narrative... :lol: 

35 minutes ago, Manny said:

You have data to support this, right?  Why not share it?

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

:lol:

He's probably busy trying to turn another Ravens thread political or racial.

1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

AKA...going full mco's.

43 minutes ago, Manny said:

Speak for yourself.

I’ve been doing well through the Bush, Obama, and now Trump Presidencies (I’d be doing great if I didn’t have Student Loans to pay back). 

16 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

It’s really sad how he pivoted to Race after bringing up Obama.

But don’t dare suggest that some people disliked Obama as President because he is half-Black...

On 5/14/2018 at 0:15 PM, jonsensback said:

Don't know if my case is unusual, but both of my mils (two daughters) bought homes shortly after college and their first real job and so have all my nieces and nephews shortly after college and real jobs.  Personally, I think the "living in my parents basement was overblown.   

Agreed. My last of four goes to settlement next month. The other three already have houses. Now, my daughter and her husband did move in with me for a year to save up closing costs. 

3 minutes ago, Rael said:

Agreed. My last of four goes to settlement next month. The other three already have houses. Now, my daughter and her husband did move in with me for a year to save up closing costs. 

So did one of mine and I forgot all about it because it was like 9 years ago. If I remember right, they were set to stay in their apartment until the were ready but w e talked them into moving with us until they had a good head start in buying a house.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, flyboy56 said:

But that's not the case with many millennials? Most are hanging around until their late 20's early 30's?

I don't believe that is anything other than the older generation trying to find fault with their replacements. A story as old as the country. My empirical experiences lead me to believe that isn't the case with this generation anymore than any other. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, soulflower said:

It’s really sad how he pivoted to Race after bringing up Obama.

But don’t dare suggest that some people disliked Obama as President because he is half-Black...

Of course. On the other hand, there are many right here on these forums that believe if you disliked Obama's policies, it was because he was black. The racial stereotyping cuts both ways. 

3 minutes ago, Rael said:

I don't believe that is anything other than the older generation trying to find fault with their replacements. A story as old as the country. My empirical experiences lead me to believe that isn't the case with this generation anymore than any other. 

Agree.

I fell for the stereotype myself, but actually when I looked around at millies I am related to and younger bunch I work with, I don't see much of a difference between boomers and now. 

17 minutes ago, Rael said:

Of course. On the other hand, there are many right here on these forums that believe if you disliked Obama's policies, it was because he was black. The racial stereotyping cuts both ways. 

I’m Black and a Democrat and didn’t like all of Obama’s policies.

There’s a clear difference between disagreement with certain policies and inexplicable visceral hatred for a person. 

24 minutes ago, Rael said:

I wonder at some of the older generation who complain about the younger generation for being lazy and unmotivated, etc. etc..  Who raised the younger generation?  The older generation, duh.  So what does that say about them.  :D

The only problem I have with the younger generation is trap music. I don't get it. It makes me angry (yeah, Ode). No creativity to it. Every song sounds the same. And autotune...gross.

Aside from that, always respect your elders. Unless they voted for Trump. ;)

25 minutes ago, Rael said:

There were quite a few of them .....

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The only problem I have with the younger generation is trap music. I don't get it. It makes me angry (yeah, Ode). No creativity to it. Every song sounds the same. And autotune...gross.

Aside from that, always respect your elders. Unless they voted for Trump. ;)

Trap Beats are good

Its the Mumble-Rap that I don’t get. 

It’s cool to rap like you’re loopy on Opioids now. That’s where I break with the younger millenials 

Edited by soulflower

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Trap Beats are good

Its the Mumble-Rap that I don’t get. 

It’s cool too rap like you’re loopy on Opioids now. That’s where I break with the younger millenials 

I agree on the vocals....disagree on the beats. They all sound the same.

I'm a golden age hip hopper. I think there was way more creativity back then from choosing which old jazz records to sample and especially in the lyrics. Nowadays, there's none of that.

3 hours ago, soulflower said:

I’m Black and a Democrat and didn’t like all of Obama’s policies.

There’s a clear difference between disagreement with certain policies and inexplicable visceral hatred for a person. 

I agree as I said above. I also know it highly annoys me to be considered a racist by a vocal, small minority on this board simply for being a conservative. Fortunately, they have done some housekeeping around here on both extremes of the spectrum and reduced the troll ratio. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, Marshan Man said:

On 5/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, ms maggie said:

On 5/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, ivanbalt said:

If you feed trolls , they'll never go away. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:39 PM, soulflower said:

Speak for yourself.

I’ve been doing well through the Bush, Obama, and now Trump Presidencies (I’d be doing great if I didn’t have Student Loans to pay back). 

Likewise for me minus the student debt. If you're economic status is dictated by who's in the whitehouse, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by bmore_ken