Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Little Italy Film Festival says "Arrivederci"

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/baltimores-little-italy-film-festival-canceled/

Sad news. I went to this a few years ago when they showed The Godfather. It's my favorite movie, so I watched it while drinking a bottle of Coppola wine. Great experience.

Side note, Tony Pente's grandfather, John, started the film fest. Tony owns and maintains Orioles Hangout. I saw Mr. Pente sitting outside of his house, like he often did, shortly before he passed and we exchanged some pleasantries.  I had little idea I was talking to a Baltimore legend until I heard about his passing.

There was some hope the new managers of the film fest could make it work at a new location, but that doesn't appear to be the case any longer. :(

Edited by Pickle20

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/baltimores-little-italy-film-festival-canceled/

Sad news. I went to this a few years ago when they showed The Godfather. It's my favorite movie, so I watched it while drinking a bottle of Coppola wine. Great experience.

Side note, Tony Pente's grandfather, John, started the film fest. Tony owns and maintains Orioles Hangout. I saw Mr. Pente sitting outside of his house, like he often did, shortly before he passed and we exchanged some pleasantries.  I had little idea I was talking to a Baltimore legend until I heard about his passing.

There was some hope the new managers of the film fest could make it work at a new location, but that doesn't appear to be the case any longer. :(

That's too bad ......

Those are the type of events that enrich and make a city special .....

I visited Inglenook in Napa last fall and set my kids a pic of the Oscar from GF2 and some of the other memorabilia.......

They have all seen GF1 and GF2 a dozen times (but will never catch their Dad)

My oldest that lives in Napa area tracked down the Lake Tahoe estate and checked that out a few years back .......

12 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

That's too bad ......

Those are the type of events that enrich and make a city special .....

I visited Inglenook in Napa last fall and set my kids a pic of the Oscar from GF2 and some of the other memorabilia.......

They have all seen GF1 and GF2 a dozen times (but will never catch their Dad)

My oldest that lives in Napa area tracked down the Lake Tahoe estate and checked that out a few years back .......

Going to Sicily this September and already have a GF tour booked to visit all major locations they used there. 

Sad news. It is a fun thing in Baltimore. I hope that the organizers start, well, organizing, and get it going again.

The piazza where my daughter lived (until two weeks ago) in Rome has family outdoor movie night on weekends. She could watch from her flat windows. Seemed to be calm, fun and well-attended. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, Sprightly said:

Sad news. It is a fun thing in Baltimore. I hope that the organizers start, well, organizing, and get it going again.

The piazza where my daughter lived (until two weeks ago) in Rome has family outdoor movie night on weekends. She could watch from her flat windows. Seemed to be calm, fun and well-attended. 

I gotta question; how is it that other countries seem to be able to pull this off....on a weekly basis no less according to you. 

Ahhhh got it....other countries count 'quality of life' above 'profit'. 

My bad....sorry I brought it up. ;)

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

I gotta question; how is it that other countries seem to be able to pull this off....on a weekly basis no less according to you. 

Ahhhh got it....other countries count 'quality of life' above 'profit'. 

My bad....sorry I brought it up. ;)

What?

SMH. 

The original organizers moved to Italy years ago and it was too hard to coordinate from there. 

The new people found it harder than expected to coordinate. Maybe you could take some time off posting all day and coordinate it yourself. Ever think of that?

there are tons of outdoor movies in the area and across the country. Yet you’re barking up this tree. Weird. 

9 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

What?

SMH. 

The original organizers moved to Italy years ago and it was too hard to coordinate from there. 

The new people found it harder than expected to coordinate. Maybe you could take some time off posting all day and coordinate it yourself. Ever think of that?

there are tons of outdoor movies in the area and across the country. Yet you’re barking up this tree. Weird. 

Once again you missing my point. 

27 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Once again you missing my point. 

Perhaps you should clearly state your point instead of making insinuations for the rest of us to guess.

4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Perhaps you should clearly state your point instead of making insinuations for the rest of us to guess.

You first. ;)

5 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

You first. ;)

No one is wondering what the hell I am talking about.

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Couldn’t have said it better. 

Every post is a riddle wrapped inside an enigma with him. 

There is no reason why, other than a little (or a lot of) red tape, that residents and businesses can't organize neighborhood festivals like that on a regular basis.

I find it sad that Americans go to Europe and marvel at how charming and livable the cities are over there and then come back home to endless strip malls, highways, and bleak pedestrian-hostile cities, without making the connection that they can have the same nice things if they stop handing over all their space to automobiles and private property.

It's part of the reason why I am now in Philly rather than Baltimore.

14 hours ago, dogstarman said:

There is no reason why, other than a little (or a lot of) red tape, that residents and businesses can't organize neighborhood festivals like that on a regular basis.

I find it sad that Americans go to Europe and marvel at how charming and livable the cities are over there and then come back home to endless strip malls, highways, and bleak pedestrian-hostile cities, without making the connection that they can have the same nice things if they stop handing over all their space to automobiles and private property.

There are still outdoor movie nights in Baltimore.

And I think that red tape lead to the LI festival being suspended for a year. I can imagine that can be a lot of work for someone on top of work and family obligations. Especially for someone's first time coordinating it all.

Overall I agree with the Europe vs America city thing. There's a lot of things they have that we should. Infrastructure-wise, Baltimore is the way it is due to poor leadership and an inability to see things through to completion. Whether it's money or the tearing down of trees, something is always standing in the way or there's always an excuse not to do X, Y and Z.

23 hours ago, dogstarman said:

I didn't have to go to Europe to see it. Although I did see one in Prague and I've already noted that where my daughter lived in Trastevere, there were outside movies. Columbia has movies on the lake. https://www.columbiaassociation.org/events/lakefront-summer-festival/  I used to take my then toddler all dressed in her pj's to watch movies. It was a well attended and the families loved it. I know that there are other outdoor venues in the U.S. as well.

The problem in Little Italy is in getting organized. It wasn't canceled due to crime.