Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outerbanks

Article:Orioles most dysfunctional organization in baseball

27 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting. Good article. It almost feels like the author read through this forum as part of his research process for the article lol.  What a mess. Pitiful 

Posted (edited)

There's a definite positive slant toward Duquette in this piece. Almost a bit too laudatory, in fact. Assuming Duquette isn't coming back after this season, the piece almost serves as a de facto resume should he seek employment elsewhere.

I'd be curious to know the identity of the National League executive who was quoted in the article. Andy MacPhail, perhaps? 

Edited by mdrunning

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

There's a definite positive slant toward Duquette in this piece. Almost a bit too laudatory, in fact. Assuming Duquette isn't coming back after this season, the piece almost serves as a de facto resume should he seek employment elsewhere.

I'd be curious to know the identity of the National League executive who was quoted in the article. Andy MacPhail, perhaps? 

While I believe a good bit of what is in the article, your point is well taken.  A long time Red Sox beat writer Nick Cardofo , wrote the article and DD was GM of the Red Sox back in the 90s.  Yeah, Cardofo was there then.  When I googled DD and The Red Sox, Cardofo wrote the article applauding DD's hiring by Boston in 1994.

So yeah, sure looks like a resume piece for ole DD by an old friend.  

Finally, someone in the national media recognizes that Buck has regressed as an effective manager.  Some overdue criticism of Buck for very poor performance on field. 

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

While I believe a good bit of what is in the article, your point is well taken.  A long time Red Sox beat writer Nick Cardofo , wrote the article and DD was GM of the Red Sox back in the 90s.  Yeah, Cardofo was there then.  When I googled DD and The Red Sox, Cardofo wrote the article applauding DD's hiring by Boston in 1994.

So yeah, sure looks like a resume piece for ole DD by an old friend.  

Nick Cafardo.

;)

2 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Nick Cafardo.

;)

Thx.  Yeah, I saw I butchered his name, LOL.  Cafardo, Gammons and Olney.  Supposed national writers who are Red Sox homers.  They all make me nauseated with their bias.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Thx.  Yeah, I saw I butchered his name, LOL.  Cafardo, Gammons and Olney.  Supposed national writers who are Red Sox homers.  They all make me nauseated with their bias.

I dunno if it’s a bias so much as it is a well-established-by-the-Oriole-front-office narrative/precedent. Having said that, I think Cafardo was perhaps a bit too familiar with Duquette in that piece, almost to the point of carrying his water. 

Edited by EnochRoot

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

I dunno if it’s a bias so much as it is a well-established-by-the-Oriole-front-office narrative. Having said that, I think Cafardo was perhaps a bit too familiar with Duquette in that piece, almost to the point of carrying his water. 

When I mentioned bias, I was talking on most of their other reporting.  I think this article is pretty accurate in places, but Carfardo's positive bias towards DD because of his Red Sox connections comes shining through.  I guess Carfardo thought no one would remember his DD connection from 25 years ago.  It taints the whole article. Typical red sox homer.

Edited by CROUSEMAN

12 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Thanks for posting. Good article. It almost feels like the author read through this forum as part of his research process for the article lol.  What a mess. Pitiful 

Actually it's a terrible article. It's all true but it says nothing we as O's fans, or even any real baseball fan, doesn't already know. It's Cliff's Notes for Boston fans with blinders on to the rest of the MLB.

I was listening to the Fan for a little this morning, and they were talking about this article. They basically said what Pickle posted here. This isn't news to anyone who follows the O's. Their most interesting comment was this, apparently there are a lot of fans who are upset and offended by the article. Norris said, the only explanation for their being upset, is that they've put on blinders to block out what they don't want to see/hear. He went on to say it's one of those things where someone loves something so much, they can't bear to see any of the bad parts.

10 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I was listening to the Fan for a little this morning, and they were talking about this article. They basically said what Pickle posted here. This isn't news to anyone who follows the O's. Their most interesting comment was this, apparently there are a lot of fans who are upset and offended by the article. Norris said, the only explanation for their being upset, is that they've put on blinders to block out what they don't want to see/hear. He went on to say it's one of those things where someone loves something so much, they can't bear to see any of the bad parts.

And who is that who are upset/offended? Travis Moon? Everyone knows the problems this organization has/had.

12 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

And who is that who are upset/offended? Travis Moon? Everyone knows the problems this organization has/had.

I suppose there are a lot of fans who like watching the games, but don't really follow the business side of the team. 

8 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I suppose there are a lot of fans who like watching the games, but don't really follow the business side of the team. 

But even they have to know something isn't working.

And if they don't follow the business side how do they find this article? Do they seek out Boston media to read about the Orioles?

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

But even they have to know something isn't working.

And if they don't follow the business side how do they find this article? Do they seek out Boston media to read about the Orioles?

I don't know man, I was just sharing what Norris said on the radio. Don't shoot the messenger

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I don't know man, I was just sharing what Norris said on the radio. Don't shoot the messenger

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

More dysfunctional than the Marlins?

Well done, team!

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

I commented on an Orioles Facebook page post about how Buck was a huge part of the problems and you would have thought that I had told everyone that their mothers were ugly.

2 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I commented on an Orioles Facebook page post about how Buck was a huge part of the problems and you would have thought that I had told everyone that their mothers were ugly.

I guess there are more homers than I realized.

The article isn’t unveiling anything that most of us haven’t known since the late 1990s

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Actually it's a terrible article. It's all true but it says nothing we as O's fans, or even any real baseball fan, doesn't already know. It's Cliff's Notes for Boston fans with blinders on to the rest of the MLB.

I didn’t mean good article in a journalistic sense. I meant it’s good to see more widespread criticism of this organisation.  Should’ve specified that 

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I guess there are more homers than I realized.

There are tons of misinformed homers who think Buck Showalter is a genius and that Chris “Crush” Davis is a future Hall of Famer who has just fallen into a slump.

Those people don’t want to hear any criticism of this team/ organization. They’re clueless 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

2 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

...and that Chris “Crush” Davis is a future Hall of Famer who has just fallen into a slump.

Lol. A career-long slump.

5 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

There are tons of misinformed homers who think Buck Showalter is a genius and that Chris “Crush” Davis is a future Hall of Famer who has just fallen into a slump.

Those people don’t want to hear any criticism of this team/ organization. They’re clueless 

Seriously? Tons of people think CD is a HOF candidate? No one I know, and to the best of my knowledge, no one on this board has ever mentioned that possibility even in his above average years.