Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sprightly

Maryland bans harmful fake ‘ex-gay’ therapy

50 posts in this topic

Thank you, Governor Hogan and lawmakers.

Add Maryland to the list of states banning harmful “conversion therapy” meant to turn gay people straight. The programs greatly increase chances of suicide and are completely ineffective.

Governor Larry Hogan signed the legislation today along with another bill meant to help LGBTQ youth. The other law will expand housing and support services to youth experiencing homelessness – a disproportionate number of whom are members of the LGBTQ community.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/05/maryland-bans-harmful-fake-ex-gay-therapy/

Great job Larry.

Gays have enough to worry about in this day and age beyond some freaks trying to beat the gay out them, or whatever the freaks do.

I agree, great job.

Can't wait to pull the lever for another 4 years of Larry as our gov!

Seems like government over reach to me .....

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

In what way? It's torturous and no kids should be forced to go through it.

Edited by Sprightly

13 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

It protects minors from an unsafe practice.

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

It protects minors from an unsafe practice.

But we still allow minors to have abortions without parental permission, right? .....

What if the minor isn't being force to seek treatment but sign ill willingly .....

What if they talk to a priest and pray? .....

What about adults, can they seek conversion therapy by a licensed healthcare professional if they want to? ......

3 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

But we still allow minors to have abortions without parental permission, right? .....

What if the minor isn't being force to seek treatment but sign ill willingly .....

What about adults, can they seek conversion therapy by a licensed healthcare professional if they want to? ......

Conversion therapy is not considered sound practice.  If an adult wants to waste his time and money on this quackery, I guess that's OK.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

It bans forcing minors into conversion therapy. Adults are free to do as they wish.

Parents can't force their daughter to have an abortion either.

Edited by Sprightly

38 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

It bans forcing minors into conversion therapy. Adults are free to do as they wish.

Parents can't force their daughter to have an abortion either.

I support preventing people to be forced into anything against their will.....

Minors should be able to willing seek treatment they want as well.....

If it just feels will the force aspect, I'm ok with it .....

Posted (edited)

so you all are fine with government barring you from getting a form of therapy you might want-- wonder what the next type of therapy will be that becomes cause celebre' for banning?

well, we are all so incapable of making our own decisions so I guess government knows best

Edited by Saticon3

17 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

so you all are fine with government barring you from getting a form of therapy you might want-- wonder what the next type of therapy will be that becomes cause celebre' for banning?

well, we are all so incapable of making our own decisions so I guess government knows best

It bans forcing children to take conversion therapy. And yes, I'm glad the government is looking out for children with evil, homophobic parents who would do such a thing and potentially drive these kids to suicide.

36 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

You obviously know nothing about forcing a kid into "conversion therapy."  Zilch. Zero.

1 hour ago, Saticon3 said:

That’s incorrect. That’s not what’s being banned nor is it what other posters are “fine with.” Please re-read the link and the posts. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

In what way? It's torturous and no kids should be forced to go through it.

A State Senator from Pasadena who is a graduate from Bob Jones University thinks it is OK for his daughter. 

Just now, johnpolitics said:

A State Senator from Pasadena who is a graduate from Bob Jones University thinks it is OK for his daughter. 

Okay. So?

9 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Okay. So?

Del. Meagan Simonaire said in a speech Wednesday she would vote for a ban on conversion therapy for homosexuality and revealed that her father — state Sen. Bryan Simonaire — asked her to try the discredited treatment after she revealed she was bisexual.

Just now, Marshan Man said:

Oh Lort. All Hail Govnuh Hoagie. You guys would give him props for anything... :rolleyes: B)

This isn't just "anything."

All he did was sign the damn bill Sprightly.. that’s his job. I would hope we would have a guv that would sign a bill like this. That’s a freaking no brainer. 

I can’t wait til Ben smokes that Hoagie... 

Edited by Marshan Man

4 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

All he did was sign the damn bill Sprightly.. that’s his job. I would hope we would have a guv that would sign a bill like this. That’s a freaking no brainer. 

I can’t wait til Ben smokes that Hoagie... 

Ridiculous. He doesn't "have" to sign any bill and you would have thrown a major conniption fit had he not signed it.

And by the way, conversion therapy isn't new to 2018. Why wasn't it banned during the previous admin.

Yeah. That's what I thought.

Ben isn't smoking anything that isn't in a pipe.

Edited by Sprightly

If he wants to remain gov of a state like md he “has” to sign it. 

Idk why?? Did Hoagie introduce the bill or something? You tell me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Hoagie’s cool but Ben is better. We’ll see what happens, but right now I’m thinking BJ rides the blue wave. Bold Victories. New Leadership. 

Edited by Marshan Man

3 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

If he wants to remain gov of a state like md he “has” to sign it. 

Idk why?? Did Hoagie introduce the bill or something? You tell me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Hoagie’s cool but Ben is better. We’ll see what happens, but right now I’m thinking BJ rides the blue wave. Bold Victories. New Leadership. 

You tell me if that's his JOB. It's not. His JOB is to decide whether or not to sign a Bill.  There's an educational cartoon for this if you need help.  :)

What is the "blue wave" of which you speak? Good luck. 

Edited by Sprightly

4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

You tell me if that's his JOB. It's not. His JOB is to decide whether or not to sign a Bill.  There's an educational cartoon for this if you need help.  :)

What is the "blue wave" of which you speak? Good luck. 

If he didn’t sign the bill what would have happened? You already alluded to it earlier. 

Bottomline:  He didn’t have a choice but to sign it. 

Edited by Marshan Man