Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Robinson Cano suspended for PEDs

24 posts in this topic

Can’t say I’m surprised by this but still disappointing 

What a shame, he was approaching HOF stats, now everything he's accomplished is tarnished. It makes no sense, you've got the contract, why ruin your reputation?

I have Cano and Osuna on the same fantasy team.  Oy.

Posted (edited)

Looks like he test positive for Furosemide, a diuretic which is commonly used to mask PED usage.  I guess if you test postive for a masking agent, they assume you are trying to mask something.

He gets to serve the suspension concurrently with his DL time, but is still ineligible for the post season if the Mariners were to make it.

Edited by Thirteen

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, weird-O said:

What a shame, he was approaching HOF stats, now everything he's accomplished is tarnished. It makes no sense, you've got the contract, why ruin your reputation?

Definitely a borderline HOF career. 

I remember his name being mentioned in connection with that Shady doctor in Miami that A-Rod was mixed up with. So I was afraid that he’d eventually get caught. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9200379/robinson-cano-associate-was-client-biogenesis-documents-say

Edited by soulflower

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."

Under MLB's drug policy, a player is not automatically suspended for use of a diuretic unless MLB can prove he intended to use it as a masking agent.

A source familiar with the case told ESPN's T.J. Quinn that Cano tested positive before the season and appealed. During the appeal, MLB apparently was able to determine his intent, resulting in Cano dropping his appeal, the source said.

Cano said he was given Furosemide by a licensed doctor in his native Dominican Republic and that the substance is used to treat "various medical conditions" there and in the United States.

"While I did not realize at the time that I was given a medication that was banned, I obviously now wish that I had been more careful," Cano said.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23512723/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-suspended-80-games-violating-joint-drug-agreement

11 minutes ago, soulflower said:

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."

Under MLB's drug policy, a player is not automatically suspended for use of a diuretic unless MLB can prove he intended to use it as a masking agent.

A source familiar with the case told ESPN's T.J. Quinn that Cano tested positive before the season and appealed. During the appeal, MLB apparently was able to determine his intent, resulting in Cano dropping his appeal, the source said.

Cano said he was given Furosemide by a licensed doctor in his native Dominican Republic and that the substance is used to treat "various medical conditions" there and in the United States.

"While I did not realize at the time that I was given a medication that was banned, I obviously now wish that I had been more careful," Cano said.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23512723/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-suspended-80-games-violating-joint-drug-agreement

Standard athlete-who-got-busted boilerplate.

17 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Standard athlete-who-got-busted boilerplate.

Yep...guilty

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Definitely a borderline HOF career. 

I remember his name being mentioned in connection with that Shady doctor in Miami that A-Rod was mixed up with. So I was afraid that he’d eventually get caught. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9200379/robinson-cano-associate-was-client-biogenesis-documents-say

He's 35 years old with 304 career HR and an .848 OPS (126 OPS+), six top ten MVP seasons, 8 All Star games, and his 67.5 career WAR places him tied at 121 all time with Ernie Banks (ahead of many players already in the HOF). 

Frankly, I think he'd eventually get in already. A couple years would throw him into the obvious lock category. 

....Now he'll have to wait for Ortiz to knock down the door for the PED crowd in order to gain consideration when it's all said and done. 

56 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

He's 35 years old with 304 career HR and an .848 OPS (126 OPS+), six top ten MVP seasons, 8 All Star games, and his 67.5 career WAR places him tied at 121 all time with Ernie Banks (ahead of many players already in the HOF). 

Frankly, I think he'd eventually get in already. A couple years would throw him into the obvious lock category. 

....Now he'll have to wait for Ortiz to knock down the door for the PED crowd in order to gain consideration when it's all said and done. 

Or, in 18 years he can join an Independent minor league team to try to repair his reputation.  :lol:

24 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Or, in 18 years he can join an Independent minor league team to try to repair his reputation.  :lol:

:lol:

16 hours ago, Thirteen said:

I have Cano and Osuna on the same fantasy team.  Oy.

I had just put Cano on the DL and then saw the suspension.  :(

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I had just put Cano on the DL and then saw the suspension.  :(

Does your league allow you to put someone else in his place? When I played Rotiesserie, the rules were you couldn't replace a suspended player.

3 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Does your league allow you to put someone else in his place? When I played Rotiesserie, the rules were you couldn't replace a suspended player.

No, once he's technically off the DL I'll have to make him "active" or drop.

Jim Bowden , on MLB radio, said the Mariners will move Dee Gordon to second from CF.  Said the first call they should make is to the O's for Adam Jones.  Dbacks just lost their CF too.  Not sure what AJ would bring, but do the guy a favor and get him off the Titanic and get us a decent prospect.  Win Win.

22 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Mariners need to find a way to void the contract. 

Baseball's drug policy was written so that clubs wouldn't be able to do exactly that. It does not give them the authority to use a PED suspension as a means for trying to get out of the remaining years of a contract.

All of these guys that get busted and say they didn't know are either massively huge idiots, or think everyone else is. Or maybe both.

Here's something very simple... if you are a professional athlete, every single thing you take in the drugs / medicine category should wait until you've verified it's legality with team physicians and / or MLB offices. Get it in writing, paper, email, wherever. Otherwise, nobody should believe you...

That said, I don't think folks care as much anymore now that the initial drama from the Mitchell report era is over. I don't like it, but suspicious it won't really matter when this next wave starts coming up for HOF consideration.

Edited by Ravens2006

12 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

All of these guys that get busted and say they didn't know are either massively huge idiots, or think everyone else is. Or maybe both.

I assume there are ways to beat the tests. For every one player who get's caught, there's probably ten who don't get caught. 

For example, most of the players who went to Tony Bosch in Miami for PEDs didn't get busted for failing drug tests. The MLB got a list of his clients and handed out suspensions based on that, 

So perhaps Cano thought he could beat the testing system. But from what I understand, the testing changes year after year to try to keep up with the new substances and different masking techniques.  

Edited by soulflower

I'm having a hard time believing Robinson's claim of this whole thing being an honest mistake. That plea has been used too many times over the years.

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I'm having a hard time believing Robinson's claim of this whole thing being an honest mistake. That plea has been used too many times over the years.

I think every agent has the script drafted and it is simple to modify for the individual client.