Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrdeltoid

Kieth Ellison shows his position on borders

18 posts in this topic

Quote

 

In February, he also said he backed the idea of a "maximum wage."

"If you were to say, ‘Look, if you make more than 20 times more than the people who actually make the products and do the services of your company,’ then we’re going to tax you more," Ellison said.

 

He should move to Cuba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

He should move to Cuba.

Personally I would love to live in this world without borders too. But that just isn't realistic in the world we live in today. Maybe when we finally see a One World Government it will happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Democratic Party leader"

that's all u need to know

Edited by boink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

He should move to Cuba.

"A long-running study by the AFL-CIO shows leaders of S&P 500 companies made about 347 times more than their average employees in 2016, up from 41-to-1 in 1983. A 2018 survey by Equilar Inc. found that CEOs earned 140 times more than their median workers."

Swell huh?

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/ceo-pay-ratio/

From 41x to 347x. In 35 years.

This is not good for a democracy, period. Power follows wealth and concentration of power is not something any American with a knowledge of history--meaning you--should countenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

"A long-running study by the AFL-CIO shows leaders of S&P 500 companies made about 347 times more than their average employees in 2016, up from 41-to-1 in 1983. A 2018 survey by Equilar Inc. found that CEOs earned 140 times more than their median workers."

Swell huh?

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/ceo-pay-ratio/

From 41x to 347x. In 35 years.

This is not good for a democracy, period. Power follows wealth and concentration of power is not something any American with a knowledge of history--meaning you--should countenance.

I oppose government control of income.  Its not their business.  Let the market control it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

I oppose government control of income.  Its not their business.  Let the market control it.  

Unfettered capitalism is not pretty. Now that we're going down the trade barriers paths, this is going to get dangerous.

The demise of labor unions has perverted the normal balance between capital and labor. Once upon a time increases in productivity (the main driver of increased profit/wealth creation) we're shared with both capital investors and labor. No more. Corp profits have been very robust for years, yet wages are flat. And CEOs enjoy outrageous compensation precisely because of that: the investors reward them and too bad for the workers.

It's not sustainable.

Edited by ms maggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

I oppose government control of income.  Its not their business.  Let the market control it.  

The market has always controlled it.  And the market will always find ways to pay workers as little as possible.  It's a small price to pay so those at the top can afford that 3rd vacation home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

I oppose government control of income.  Its not their business.  Let the market control it.  

Many employees have a hard time making ends meet. They work paycheck to paycheck. They can't save and they fall into a quicksand of debt. With the current system and with the virtual historic ousting of unions to represent them they have no power to get better pay or better working conditions. They just have to take what the owner gives them. They have to work in conditions the owner make. There was a time when the majority of owners valued their employees and compensated them fairly. But with the continued deregulations and more money bribing the politicians the workers (no matter how hard they work) have little chance to succeed. They just will go deeper and deeper in debt and be beholden to whatever big businesses decide. Meanwhile these big businesses seek higher and higher profits with no regard to those who make the foundation of their businesses. These employees are considered disposable and their lives, their families and their health and well-being are not valued at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Unfettered capitalism is not pretty. Now that we're going down the trade barriers paths, this is going to get dangerous.

The demise of labor unions has perverted the normal balance between capital and labor. Once upon a time increases in productivity (the main driver of increased profit/wealth creation) we're shared with both capital investors and labor. No more. Corp profits have been very robust for years, yet wages are flat. And CEOs enjoy outrageous compensation precisely because of that: the investors reward them and too bad for the workers.

It's not sustainable.

Apparently, he supports 1% of the population controlling 50% of the wealth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Ellison is right.   What are borders outside of man made demarcations?  One of the best things about the 50 states is that I can travel, trade, and work in just about any of them with few questions asked.   So what is so special about the Rio Grande or the 49th parallel?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Ellison is right.   What are borders outside of man made demarcations?  One of the best things about the 50 states is that I can travel, trade, and work in just about any of them with few questions asked.   So what is so special about the Rio Grande or the 49th parallel?    

White supremacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hst2 said:

White supremacy.

Rubbish.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Ellison is right.   What are borders outside of man made demarcations?  One of the best things about the 50 states is that I can travel, trade, and work in just about any of them with few questions asked.   So what is so special about the Rio Grande or the 49th parallel?    

If you're born on this side of the borders, you're exceptional.  Otherwise not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

If you're born on this side of the borders, you're exceptional.  Otherwise not.

I'll take that as satire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SemiAuto said:

I'll take that as satire.  

For me, yes.  But a lot of people in this country actually believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Many employees have a hard time making ends meet. They work paycheck to paycheck. They can't save and they fall into a quicksand of debt. With the current system and with the virtual historic ousting of unions to represent them they have no power to get better pay or better working conditions. They just have to take what the owner gives them. They have to work in conditions the owner make. There was a time when the majority of owners valued their employees and compensated them fairly. But with the continued deregulations and more money bribing the politicians the workers (no matter how hard they work) have little chance to succeed. They just will go deeper and deeper in debt and be beholden to whatever big businesses decide. Meanwhile these big businesses seek higher and higher profits with no regard to those who make the foundation of their businesses. These employees are considered disposable and their lives, their families and their health and well-being are not valued at all.

This needs to be posted on the "Republicans move to protect white voters on the dole" thread.  On that thread, Smokey said if they aren't happy with their job, they should just get a better one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Democrats support Ellison's platform and should run on it instead of evading the fact that many of them already support it.

They can start by capping the pay of failed Democratic Party candidates for their speaking engagements and stop with the expensive fundraisers that are limited to those who can afford to attend.

They can also call for an end to the non-profit status of the NFL and for they pay that actors can earn for their work, even the ones who support Democratic candidates.

Democrats support open borders and demonstrate that by choosing their DNC co-leader.  There is no reason they shouldn't speak up and boldly include an end to borders and support open borders as part of their party platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0