Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore Mayor Seeks Broad Exemption From City Ethics Rules

18 posts in this topic

LINK

Quote

 

BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore’s mayor wants to be exempted from city ethics rules that require officials to obtain approvals before soliciting private funds for community programs and events.

The Baltimore Sun reports City Solicitor Andre Davis has asked the Board of Ethics to grant Catherine Pugh the exemption so she doesn’t have to make requests to the ethics and spending board each time she wants to raise private funds for the Baltimore City Foundation. The rules are meant to avoid conflicts of interest.

Calling Baltimore “a poor city,” Davis questioned the constraints on the mayor’s ability to solicit monetary assistance. He says the five-member board has yet to make a decision.

 

Yes.  She really is that oblivious to ethical complications that might arise, not only in appearances, but based on recent displays of competency and wise decisions made by this mayor, previous mayors, and city government in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

LINK

Yes.  She really is that oblivious to ethical complications that might arise, not only in appearances, but based on recent displays of competency and wise decisions made by this mayor, previous mayors, and city government in general. 

Any time that money is solicited from donors there must be a system of checks and balances.

Baltimore isn’t a “poor city,” it’s a city that doesn’t know how to spend the money it’s given. 

smh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Any time that money is solicited from donors there must be a system of checks and balances.

Baltimore isn’t a “poor city,” it’s a city that doesn’t know how to spend the money it’s given. 

smh 

See we can agree. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article is from todays Sun and has a lot more detail...some 'scary' detail.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-mayor-ethics-waiver-20180515-story.html

Baltimore Mayor Catherine E. Pugh is seeking a sweeping exemption from city ethics rules to allow her to personally raise private money to fund various community programs and events through City Hall’s charitable arm.

Ahhhhhh think Trump and fund raising....scary. 

Julian Lapides, a former state senator who served for 13 years on the Maryland ethics commission, encouraged Pugh to reconsider the idea — especially given “all the questions that seem to be occurring around city government these days.”

“It’s very much in her best interest to get prior approval,” Lapides said. “It would protect her from possible criticism if she gets prior approval. I wouldn’t want the mayor to get sandbagged by an unscrupulous corporation or group.”

Scary....that someone else has to even think of that and she didn't

But City Solicitor Andre Davis has asked the ethics board to considering granting a waiver to the Democratic mayor so she does not have to make those requests each time she wants to encourage people and institutions to donate money to the government-controlled Baltimore City Foundation, which awards grants to fund various neighborhood programs and events.

This is an likely good example of why the city is in the situation it is. Such as the commis, two dept. chairs, lost school money ...etc. Everyone blowing off responsibility in the name of expediting things......scary

Under the cities present circumstances.....with credibility and responsibility being in the toilet.....this idea should be a non-starter. 

And when the hxll did the Mayor become a 'fund raiser'? I think one job is enough....and that seems to be more than she can handle. What ...next Xmas we are going to see her ringing a bell in front of a red pot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Any time that money is solicited from donors there must be a system of checks and balances.

Baltimore isn’t a “poor city,” it’s a city that doesn’t know how to spend the money it’s given. 

smh 

What could possibly go wrong? 

Hasn't Pugh shown excellent leadership kills and judgment in decision-making so far?  :D  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

What could possibly go wrong? 

Hasn't Pugh shown excellent leadership kills and judgment in decision-making so far?  :D  :D 

She is realizing by now I am sure....that this isn't Kansas anymore AKA the GA...

Where a wink and a node and a backroom deal and not letting see voters what they are actually doing till it is too late...works. That insulation is completely gone as Mayor of the city.....or at least most of it. 

Particularly when you pick and have 'complete faith' in your choices and well....they sxck. And YOU and no one else PICKED THEM. 

I understand that Tuggle is now under the microscope. Something about a 3/4 of a million McMansion on a waterfront among other things.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

She is realizing by now I am sure....that this isn't Kansas anymore AKA the GA...

Where a wink and a node and a backroom deal and not letting see voters what they are actually doing till it is too late...works. That insulation is completely gone as Mayor of the city.....or at least most of it. 

Particularly when you pick and have 'complete faith' in your choices and well....they sxck. And YOU and no one else PICKED THEM. 

I understand that Tuggle is now under the microscope. Something about a 3/4 of a million McMansion on a waterfront among other things.

Link?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

She is realizing by now I am sure....that this isn't Kansas anymore AKA the GA...

Where a wink and a node and a backroom deal and not letting see voters what they are actually doing till it is too late...works. That insulation is completely gone as Mayor of the city.....or at least most of it. 

Particularly when you pick and have 'complete faith' in your choices and well....they sxck. And YOU and no one else PICKED THEM. 

I understand that Tuggle is now under the microscope. Something about a 3/4 of a million McMansion on a waterfront among other things.

Tuggle simply filled out information incorrectly, I'm sure, and forgot where he actually lived.  Ditto for filing his mandatory ethics reports.

Tuggle should be removed if for not other reason than Pugh's own statements about requiring city department heads to live in the city.  Why should he get a pass on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Link?

 

 

If I have to go out in the rain...dig out the paper.....put it here and I am right....you buying me a drink?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Thanks....there was a similar article in part of the Sun article I saw.

Pink....give Ode my drink. :lol:

The schedules call on city officials to disclose any outside sources of income, gifts by persons doing business with the city, family members employed by the city, debts to persons doing business with the city and other possible conflicts of interest.

“I didn’t realize that,” Tuggle said about the schedules. “I will go back and take a look.”

 

Ahhhhhhhhhh    oooopppppssssssssssss....again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

LINK

Yes.  She really is that oblivious to ethical complications that might arise, not only in appearances, but based on recent displays of competency and wise decisions made by this mayor, previous mayors, and city government in general. 

Amazing.  Isn't this almost exactly what got Dixon in trouble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it would save a lot of time and expense later on the investigations and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could only laugh at this request. Just yesterday signed my yearly Ethics, Conflict of Interest, and Confidentiality attestations. Think I'll go to our compliance person and ask for an exemption.  :D #realworld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pugh is demonstrating a complete lack of understanding about the very reason for ethics rules and why even appearances that could be perceived as conflicts of interests are important.

She's demonstrating a special kind of stupid when she asks for an exemption from the city's ethics rules right at the very same time that she's proved that she is incapable of applying due diligence and has exercised extremely bad judgment just in the De Sousa appointment. 

She's just compounding bad judgment and seeming oblivious by asking for an ethics exemption. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Pugh is demonstrating a complete lack of understanding about the very reason for ethics rules and why even appearances that could be perceived as conflicts of interests are important.

She's demonstrating a special kind of stupid when she asks for an exemption from the city's ethics rules right at the very same time that she's proved that she is incapable of applying due diligence and has exercised extremely bad judgment just in the De Sousa appointment. 

She's just compounding bad judgment and seeming oblivious by asking for an ethics exemption. 

 

Yep. That about sums it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0