Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Anne Arundel Co. Announces Increased Police Presence For Light Rail

6 posts in this topic

LINK

The reason for the extra police presence, according to Police Chief Tim Altomare is because “There’s a fear that crime comes down on the Light Rail. I don’t think if you look statistically, that there’s any great number of crimes that are generating off Light Rail stops, but there is a clear and convincing feeling of fear about it.”

Police would not specifically list any crimes, but Linthicum-Shipley Improvement Association Vice President Daniel Woomer did. He said it started with bicycle thefts shortly after the stations opened.

“It started accelerating. We had in the last years robberies, breaking and entering, we’ve had an elderly man mugged. It appears we have drug issues associated around the Light Rail stations also,” Woomer said.

County police officers will patrol station parking lots and nearby neighborhoods.

Ride alongs with transportation police could come during peak hours and big events, such as football and baseball games.

I doubt that the people most affected give a damn about the statistical appearance or perception. 

I also doubt that the police believe the chief's statement either since they're not willing to list any crimes but are beefing up protection during big events and hours when you'd think that criminals would be most active. 

I don't think the areas surrounding light rail stations are all that great to begin with, so there's always the chance that the thief is your neighbor. It's the more likely scenario, too. But sure, it's always easier to blame crime on outsiders.

Alas, more of a police presence is always a good thing.

Edited by Pickle20

"beef up patrols"  "increased police presence"   "more concentration"  all with a static number of officers on the department--- stock answers that don't mean much -- I know, I used to say and  write 'em like that years ago

I was told the there is a homeless shelter and drug clinic going in where Giant Food was located in Cromwell Station across from the Light Rail.  This will make for an interesting area if this is true.  I'm not clear if the project has been approved. 

23 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

I was told the there is a homeless shelter and drug clinic going in where Giant Food was located in Cromwell Station across from the Light Rail.  This will make for an interesting area if this is true.  I'm not clear if the project has been approved. 

Well I bet it will be. What better more convenient way for the city to further shuttle it's problems away to the county via light rail. :lol:

Guess Section 8 transfers aren't working fast enough. 

BTW.... it just occurred to me.....we keep hearing about the nasty 'white gentrification' of the city....seems the city gooberment is deliberately exporting it's problem children to make room for 'white gentrification'.

Things that make you go ....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

15 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well I bet it will be. What better more convenient way for the city to further shuttle it's problems away to the county via light rail. :lol:

Guess Section 8 transfers aren't working fast enough. 

BTW.... it just occurred to me.....we keep hearing about the nasty 'white gentrification' of the city....seems the city gooberment is deliberately exporting it's problem children to make room for 'white gentrification'.

Things that make you go ....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

:lol:

Where to begin?

First of all, you're treating rumors as gospel. Interesting you do that when you can take a few shots at the city.

Second, are there are no drug addicts or homeless people in the counties? Wait a minute, I know there are. I've interviewed them and been to their  shelters and soup kitchens. Have you?

Thirdly, there are literally dozens of homeless shelters and drug treatment centers in the city. There's no need to "ship them to AA county". Especially on the light rail.

Haters gonna hate. No matter how far, and no matter how nonsensical, they have to go to do it.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Pickle20