Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonsensback

'Things could have gone much worse': Former student is shot by officer during gunfire exchange at Dixon High School

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Officials say a police officer working at Dixon High School shot and wounded a former student who fired a gun at him.

The shooting incident began near the school’s west gymnasium about 8 a.m. Wednesday, according to officials speaking at a late-morning news conference.

Earlier in the day, City Manager Danny Langloss said students were gathered at the gym for graduation practice.

Dixon Police Chief Steven Howell said the suspect, a 19-year-old former student, “fired several shots near the west gym.”

“From the angle I’m looking at right now, at lot of things went right today when a great many of them could have (gone) wrong,” he said. “Things could have gone much worse.”

Authorities haven't provided the gunman's name.

Never wish for a 19 year old to be shot, but looks like it worked out well for potential victims.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-dixon-school-shooting-20180516-story.html

Edited by jonsensback

Posted (edited)

The school resource officer confronted the suspect, who then fled from the school with the officer in pursuit, Howell said. During the pursuit, the suspect fired several shots at the officer but did not strike him.

The officer returned fire and struck the suspect, who was then taken into custody just west of the school, Howell said. He was brought to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. No one else was injured.

If only this guy had been working Stoneman Douglas High School last Valentine's Day.

Edited by Pickle20

Yes, it does appear that everything went right for a change.  No one was killed, thank God.

Just now, mrsmlh said:

Yes, it does appear that everything went right for a change.  No one was killed, thank God.

For a change?

I know the Florida shooting is fresh on our minds, but that cop at that HS is not the norm for cops doing their jobs.

He was the worst case example and not the norm IMO.

7 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

For a change?

I know the Florida shooting is fresh on our minds, but that cop at that HS is not the norm for cops doing their jobs.

I can agree with that. The SRO in St. Mary's also illustrates that point.

Just now, Pickle20 said:

I can agree with that. The SRO in St. Mary's also illustrates that point.

Not a high school shooting but the taking out of the Bernie supporter who was attempting to take out Republicans at softball practice about a year ago could have been a hell of a lot worse if not for officers on the scene.  

6 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

For a change?

It is for a change because usually all we hear about are the kids being killed by other kids.  How many shootings were stopped before they started without anyone getting killed.  It seems to me that at least 1 kid gets killed either by the active shooter or by the police doing their job.

Just now, mrsmlh said:

It is for a change because usually all we hear about are the kids being killed by other kids.  How many shootings were stopped before they started without anyone getting killed.  It seems to me that at least 1 kid gets killed either by the active shooter or by the police doing their job.

In a case where the officer had the opportunity to engage the shooter but didn't, like the Broward deputy is not the norm.

That's what I was referring to. 

5 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Not a high school shooting but the taking out of the Bernie supporter who was attempting to take out Republicans at softball practice about a year ago could have been a hell of a lot worse if not for officers on the scene.  

If he were a Trump supporter I guess he would have been a better shot. :P

Just now, Pickle20 said:

If he were a Trump supporter I guess he would have been a better shot. :P

If you are going to shoot a firearm for any reason it would be a good idea to be fairly efficient.

So if your point is only Trump supporters have the skill to use a firearm with efficiency, I would have to see some data.;)  

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

If you are going to shoot a firearm for any reason it would be a good idea to be fairly efficient.

So if your point is only Trump supporters have the skill to use a firearm with efficiency, I would have to see some data.;)  

Here you go.

20 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

In a case where the officer had the opportunity to engage the shooter but didn't, like the Broward deputy is not the norm.

That's what I was referring to. 

Oh on that we can agree.

Where is Dixon High School?

7 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Story says 100 miles west of Chicago.

23 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Read the link.

4 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Read the link.

Why bother when you just expect us to know where Dixon High School is?

4 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Why bother when you just expect us to know where Dixon High School is?

Really Matt?

So the link clearly states that Dixon is in Illinois west of Chicago and a day after I post the link you make an issue of me not posting where it Dixon is located?

What's the purpose of a link if you don't want to open it? 

Just now, jonsensback said:

Really Matt?

So the link clearly states that Dixon is in Illinois west of Chicago and a day after I post the link you make an issue of me not posting where it Dixon is located?

What's the purpose of a link if you don't want to open it? 

I don't open every link.  Do you?

But no, the links are important.

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I don't open every link.  Do you?

But no, the links are important.

Obviously you didn't open this one did you?

And no, I only open the links of threads when I want more information than what was provided in the post.:rolleyes:

Tell you what.  Next thread I post I'll copy and paste the entire link and let you edit what you want in the thread.

38 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

And no, I only open the links of threads when I want more information than what was provided in the post.:rolleyes:

Tell you what.  Next thread I post I'll copy and paste the entire link and let you edit what you want in the thread.

You could do what EK will do on his threads. The 2nd post says where its from.

17 hours ago, jonsensback said:

For a change?

Thinking of any kind of gun shootings in schools, or elsewhere, as "the norm" is the crux of the problem.

Even if no one is killed, the trauma inflicted on those involved is profound.

Its all part of the price we pay for the NRA's effort to flood our communities with guns. 

45 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

OK, but only once.  ;)

You gave the name of the school as though we are supposed to know where it is.

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I was just getting ready to post this info when I saw yours!! :D

3 hours ago, stevez51 said:

If I did that it would still be an issue.

Get chastised when you don't post a link, get chastised when you post too much of a link and get some more when you don't post enough of a link.

4 hours ago, jonsensback said:

If I did that it would still be an issue.

Get chastised when you don't post a link, get chastised when you post too much of a link and get some more when you don't post enough of a link.

EK started doing it for those reasons.