Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Eastern Shore Trump Chump Crabbers Get What Deserve

29 posts in this topic

How will the seafood businesses be effected in the Baltimore area?... I have enjoyed some mighty fine seafood at places like the Old Barn in northern Baltimore with my good Sunspot friends... 

Funny, 6 page thread on this on locals and it's not a Trump bashing thread ..... 

36 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Funny, 6 page thread on this on locals and it's not a Trump bashing thread ..... 

You're lying again,

And it isn't funny at all.

"Because if you're for business, well, you're putting businesses out of work here."

C'mon man donald is for donald......they should call donald and ask about his foreign workers

Hey...look!   They made an update to the story to correct information it presented:

CORRECTION (May 15, 2018, 12:30 p.m, ET): A previous version of this article misstated the roles of two branches of government that affected immigrant workers in the crab industry. The Trump administration imposed a lottery system to award visas that disadvantaged the seasonal immigrant workers on Hoopers Island, and it determined the final number of visas  that were awarded. But in doing so, it followed a requirement to limit the number of H-2B visas that was imposed by Congress, not by the Trump administration.

This isn't about crabs.  This is about crab cakes that restaurants sell. 

SJWs who say that employers should pay a fair wage, even a living wage, for fast food workers are now supporting employers who take advantage of and exploit poor workers instead of paying workers for their specialized and in-demand skills.  They should pay higher than a minimum hourly wage instead of exploiting labor by paying by the pound. 

This is really complaining by employers who want to exploit cheap labor and consumers who are afraid that they cost of their crab cakes are going to go up.  Crabs are plentiful. 

The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia.  Those who catch crabs can use alternative bait like chicken necks and parts that are not utilized by chicken farms and other food processing businesses.

In the day we would get up at dawn get on our bikes and ride to the Marlyn Ave bridge with a net, lines and a sack of salted eels from an Essex sports shop that I cannot remember the name of.  Catch the tide and all the crabs we could ride home with. Steamed, picked and dinner would be served.  Those were the days.

We used to catch a bushel over a weekend using traps on a pier in the Magothy River. Had a crab feast on Sunday afternoon. You are right...those were the days.

2 minutes ago, workerbee said:

In the day we would get up at dawn get on our bikes and ride to the Marlyn Ave bridge with a net, lines and a sack of salted eels from an Essex sports shop that I cannot remember the name of.  Catch the tide and all the crabs we could ride home with. Steamed, picked and dinner would be served.  Those were the days.

It was probably Outdoor Sports.  That was a great little shop in Essex.

Just now, Ode2Joy said:

It was probably Outdoor Sports.  That was a great little shop in Essex.

No... I can picture the sign out front. Across Eastern Ave from Sunny's Surplus.  It will come to me!

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

No... I can picture the sign out front. Across Eastern Ave from Sunny's Surplus.  It will come to me!

Eastern & Marlyn Ave .??

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Eastern & Marlyn Ave .??

Sportsman shop directly across from the old Sunnys on Eastern was where we would get salted eels.  Marlyn was where we crabbed.

1 hour ago, Ode2Joy said:

The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia. 

Link please? The last population assessment says the population is on the rise. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Sportsman shop directly across from the old Sunnys on Eastern was where we would get salted eels.  Marlyn was where we crabbed.

There was a sportings goods store on that corner. Maybe it was Marlyn's Sports.

Edited by stevez51

2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

There was a sportings goods store on that corner. Maybe it was Marlyn's Sports.

Nope.  I want to say it was called Bayside Sporting Goods.  Fishing and hunting.  Toglemans (sic) was right down the street. 

22 minutes ago, Lombardi6 said:

Cool story bro. Maybe Mueller will find some Russian collusion here.

What an idiotic post

1 hour ago, naive said:

Link please? The last population assessment says the population is on the rise. 

Being on the rise is different than being plentiful and healthy.  It means they are working on recovery regarding the menhaden population.  Virginia is the main culprit compared to Maryland.

LINK

UPDATE: March 7, 2018—HB 1610, which would keep Virginia in compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's (ASMFC) menhaden management plan, failed to advance in Virginia's General Assembly.

…The number of menhaden available (“abundance”) is key for predators like striped bass and osprey.  Unfortunately, the number of young menhaden produced in the Bay each year (“recruitment”) has been poor for the last 20 years.

http://www.cbf.org/assets/images/graphs-graphics/atlantic-menhaden-geometric-mean-catch.gif

…The latest population assessment was completed in 2017. While the menhaden population is recovering, it is still a long way from being healthy and certainly a long way from fulfilling all the forage needs of striped bass and other predators. The new assessment only shows the status of the menhaden population independent of other species and not its contribution to the food web.

1 minute ago, Ode2Joy said:

Being on the rise is different than being plentiful and healthy.  It means they are working on recovery regarding the menhaden population.  Virginia is the main culprit compared to Maryland.

LINK

http://www.cbf.org/assets/images/graphs-graphics/atlantic-menhaden-geometric-mean-catch.gif

So your claim " The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia", is false.

This has been going on long before trump they should have to pay a wage sufficient to get legal resident labor and not depend on government to help them get exploitable immigrants and exploit is indeed what they do to them

3 minutes ago, naive said:

So your claim " The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia", is false.

Only if you can't read and are more interested in trying to stir up a personal argument with me, which you obviously are. 

If you're having reading comprehension problems, just look at the pretty graph that's included in the link I provided. 

Sorry you might have to pay more for your crab cake.  If it becomes too dire, you can always buy some string, a couple of chicken necks (sparing the menhaden), and a net.  Just make sure to replace the net string with chicken wire.  That's what a lot of us in Maryland do when we catch our own whether we're chicken-neckers or using a trot line.  :) 

Too bad about the projected price of picked crab meat. As I recall it was about $30/pound for jumbo lump last summer. I'll be looking for good sized pick-your-owns to make crabcakes this summer.

7 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

This has been going on long before trump they should have to pay a wage sufficient to get legal resident labor and not depend on government to help them get exploitable immigrants and exploit is indeed what they do to them

No doubt about it.  Exploitation of cheap labor is EXACTLY what this is all about. No such problem with Phillip's "Maryland style" crab cakes made with Asian crabs because machines can do most of that picking anyway, but using overseas workers for that is cheaper still.  Machines, so far, can't pick out lump crab meat as well as the exploited workers can. 

It's okay to exploit the Mexican workers, most of whom are women, so it can subsidize our crab cake expenses while we support protests like "FIGHT FOR FIFTEEN!' for fast food workers who punch buttons and ask if we want fries with our orders. 

Sheer hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, Ode2Joy said:

Only if you can't read and are more interested in trying to stir up a personal argument with me, which you obviously are. 

If you're having reading comprehension problems, just look at the pretty graph that's included in the link I provided. 

Sorry you might have to pay more for your crab cake.  If it becomes too dire, you can always buy some string, a couple of chicken necks (sparing the menhaden), and a net.  Just make sure to replace the net string with chicken wire.  That's what a lot of us in Maryland do when we catch our own whether we're chicken-neckers or using a trot line.  :) 

I can read just fine and not arguing. Just pointing out that your claim of " The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia", is false, as you have now figured out for yourself.

If something is on the rise, such as the menhaden population, that seems to be the exact opposite of something being "decimated".

As far as crab cakes go. Most of the good ones at restaruants don't use Md. crabmeat.

Just now, naive said:

I can read just fine and not arguing. Just pointing out that your claim of " The menhaden population, crucial to the Bay, is being decimated by both Maryland and Virginia", is false, as you have now figured out for yourself.

If something is on the rise, such as the menhaden population, that seems to be the exact opposite of something being "decimated".

As far as crab cakes go. Most of the good ones at restaruants don't use Md. crabmeat.

Sure you're arguing, and for the reason I already pointed out. 

Let me try and simplify this for you by cutting out some of the parts that might have too many words and are causing you confusion:

While the menhaden population is recovering, it is still a long way from being healthy

:)