Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Someone Check on Jelly 😂

23 posts in this topic

Go ahead and laugh big guy. This is just another example of this franchise's

inability to properly utilize a player's assets.

I sincerely hope that Caleb gets traded or DFA'd. There are teams

that will recognize his talents and sign him.

The Orioles failed him by waiting so long to bring him to the bigs.

He performed VERY well in the minors. He won several awards and titles there.

If you doubt me. Look at his Wiki page!

Unfortunately, it looks like CJ's major league career may be closing down, unless he's willing to play for another "also ran" team. This was pretty much going to be his last season as the O's primary catcher, since Buck laid out the plan to have Sisco gradually assume that role throughout this season. But with Chance doing better than (I think) the O's expected, and with CJ doing much worse than they expected, the gradual transition part of the plan has become unnecessary. Even when Sisco hits the skids, which he most probably will do, since almost all rookies have bad patches. He's unlikely to sink as far as CJ's best stats. 

I don't know if CJ is one of Buck's guys, but if he is, he can transition into a coaching role, somewhere in the org. 

He's just not a good enough major league hitter.  I never had any qualms about his defensive ability or to call a game.  The guy can't hit, pure and simple.  And that's saying a lot on a team filled with lousy hitters. 

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

Unfortunately, it looks like CJ's major league career may be closing down, unless he's willing to play for another "also ran" team. This was pretty much going to be his last season as the O's primary catcher, since Buck laid out the plan to have Sisco gradually assume that role throughout this season. But with Chance doing better than (I think) the O's expected, and with CJ doing much worse than they expected, the gradual transition part of the plan has become unnecessary. Even when Sisco hits the skids, which he most probably will do, since almost all rookies have bad patches. He's unlikely to sink as far as CJ's best stats. 

I don't know if CJ is one of Buck's guys, but if he is, he can transition into a coaching role, somewhere in the org. 

I don't understand why Sisco isn't getting a chance. 

22 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

What do you mean?

52 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What do you mean?

Success in the minors, the season is over, lets give him some AB's. Plus my sentence was a great play on words, give Sisco a Chance....

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

If anything I think this paves the way for Chance

4 hours ago, DaJellyBelly said:

His minor league numbers never showed in the bigs 

i like Caleb as a #2 

Posted (edited)

Hilarious.  1100 plate appearances in the majors, 32 years old, a .222 AVG and .270 OBP... this is one of the few things they've gotten right lately.

Edited by Ravens2006

10 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Good one :D

9 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Hilarious.  1100 plate appearances in the majors, 32 years old, a .222 AVG and .270 OBP... this is one of the few things they've gotten right lately.

If he hit a few more home runs, he'd fit right in with those numbers.

I always liked Caleb, but its about time Buck.  Not talking Caleb specifically, but about clearing out the Buck deadwood.  Tillman and Caleb were the first steps.  Other guys that should be gone that won't be around to help next year are guys like Rasmus, Wright, Valencia, Gentry and Alvarez.  Lets see what guys like Hess, Dorsch, Hays, Rameriez, Mullins, ect. can do.

Buck's deadwood ain't getting it done.

Buck waits till the ship is at the bottom of the ocean before deploying the life boats.  He has just been flat out terrible this year. and his record says so.  So slow to adjust and ship his guys out that suck.  I'll never get over the Tillman debacle from the last year plus until he is gone. 

16 hours ago, DaJellyBelly said:

I know you're a CJ fan, but this post is over the top. At your suggestion, I read his Wiki. I didn't see that list of awards and titles. In 2013, he made the AA all-star team, and he was named the Eastern League's Minor League Player of the Year. What awards did he win, and what other titles were granted to him? 

As for the notion that they waited too long to call him up, are you suggesting that CJ is/was a better catcher than Matt Wieters? Because that's the guy that stood in his way. So by asserting that he should have been brought up sooner, you have to also be asserting that he should have replaced Wieters.  

17 hours ago, DaJellyBelly said:

I like Caleb but he's not very good at baseball, at least the hitting part. I think he'll be a great coach one day. He should probably start on that now.

He was a solid back-up catcher for a few years. Not anymore.

I've read the follow up comments to my post and thought about them.

I grant you that he hasn't played like in the past few seasons.

But, I think Caleb is the type of player that needs to play just about every day to stay sharp.
If Chance and Susac are the Orioles' future. Why don't they trade or DFA him?

BTW, I was wondering. Does he still get his MLB salary while at Norfolk or is it reduced?

PS: I harbor no animosity to those who disagree with me.;)

32 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

Maybe you should send an email

52 minutes ago, DaJellyBelly said:

But, I think Caleb is the type of player that needs to play just about every day to stay sharp.

BTW, I was wondering. Does he still get his MLB salary while at Norfolk or is it reduced?

Players with major league contracts still receive their full pay if demoted to the minors.

Thing is, every player in major league history who didn't hit in the majors could try the argument "If only I had played every day".  It doesn't work that way.  If you get a chance, or two, or three, or in Buck's world many more despite not consistently producing... and you don't start to show something, don't produce, don't stand out... then you don't last.  You become what you are, in this case, now a minor league player who is decent behind the plate and awful standing next to it.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, DaJellyBelly said:

Sisco is their future catcher, but I wouldn't think Susac is. As for you question, why keep him? Because he's a good catcher and seems to have a good analytical brain for the game. Plus, he's under team control for 2 more seasons. And teams need lots of catchers in their system. I agree with you that CJ is a better hitter, when he plays regularly. But that doesn't make him better than he is. His best season was in 2015. His BA was .234, his OBP was .299, and his OPS was .693. All those numbers are well below average. Added to that, is the fact that he's 33 yrs old. So it's not as if he's a young player who has yet to hit his prime years. He's a month away from officially leaving his prime years. 

He was a feel good story. Who doesn't love the narrative of a career minor league player, who was days away from hanging up the cleats, when the big club loses their AS catcher, and he gets the call to Baltimore. Then he shows up, and proves to be a really enjoyable personality. I like CJ. And obviously so do many other fans. He says "malarkey", and it became a Baltimore buzzword for a few months. A couple of local bars created the malarkey cocktail. He has endeared himself to Baltimore, but these things don't make him a catcher with a great bat. I wish it did.