Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

2018: Remainder of the Season Games Thread

437 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

Was he the one pushing for the long contract or was it Angelos? I don't quite remember how things ironed out back then. Needless to say many of us didn't like that contract from the get go. Nothing against Davis, but to commit to a one-dimensional batter with a 7-year guaranteed deal back then was foolhardy. Of course none of us probably anticipated him bottoming out like he did, but his contract will be an anvil for the next 4 years.

Yep, it was a team effort on resigning Davis, but the final call was Pete's.  So its on him.  But everything I read is that Buck desperately wanted Davis back and we all know Buck is the main guy Pete listens too.

But back to the present.  I'm firmly convinced that these guys (UJ, Tilly, Davis, Reimold, ect)  that Buck continues to play is because he backed them to be on the team or not to be cut.  And that it is clear one of Buck's biggest faults is that he cannot admit he made a bad call on a player evaluation.  So he keeps riding these guys right to the bottom.  Buck really needs to be done after this year.

And specifically back to Davis,  why in the world is Coolbaugh still around??   He is buddies with Davis and his personal bat caddie.  Is that the only reason?  Again, Buck can't make the tough calls anymore.

Coolbaugh should be fired only if it was just his work with Davis.  But the rest of the team is mostly dreadful as well.  Well done Buck, well done.  Way to make the tough calls.  Way to not shake up a team that is one of the worst in baseball under your watch.  Stay the course Buck and do nothing.  

That's the problem with letting Buck have to much say in the personnel decisions.  It then affects his decision making on whether they should be playing or cut.  UJ , Tilly and Davis are perfect examples.  

2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yep, it was a team effort on resigning Davis, but the final call was Pete's.  So its on him.  But everything I read is that Buck desperately wanted Davis back and we all know Buck is the main guy Pete listens too.

But back to the present.  I'm firmly convinced that these guys (UJ, Tilly, Davis, Reimold, ect)  that Buck continues to play is because he backed them to be on the team or not to be cut.  And that it is clear one of Buck's biggest faults is that he cannot admit he made a bad call on a player evaluation.  So he keeps riding these guys right to the bottom.  Buck really needs to be done after this year.

And specifically back to Davis,  why in the world is Coolbaugh still around??   He is buddies with Davis and his personal bat caddie.  Is that the only reason?  Again, Buck can't make the tough calls anymore.

At this level I believe batting coaches are overrated. By the time most players reach the majors they are set in their ways and mostly against changing anything. That's one of the reasons we don't see anyone who can bunt effectively in the majors. Huge contract negotiations are not focused on sacrifices, etc. The ones who get the sweetest deals are the ones that hit it out of the park. Big money has ruined professional sports IMO. Players and ownership now have to worry about protecting their assets. In the past if a player stunk up the place he would be released. He wouldn't be a $100 million investment.

Going back to Coolbaugh, it really doesn't matter too much who the batting coach is. Terry Crowley was a great batting coach but even he had problems with this new bunch of high-priced players towards the end of his stint with the Orioles. Today's players are more pampered, etc.

2 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

At this level I believe batting coaches are overrated. By the time most players reach the majors they are set in their ways and mostly against changing anything. That's one of the reasons we don't see anyone who can bunt effectively in the majors. Huge contract negotiations are not focused on sacrifices, etc. The ones who get the sweetest deals are the ones that hit it out of the park. Big money has ruined professional sports IMO. Players and ownership now have to worry about protecting their assets. In the past if a player stunk up the place he would be released. He wouldn't be a $100 million investment.

Going back to Coolbaugh, it really doesn't matter too much who the batting coach is. Terry Crowley was a great batting coach but even he had problems with this new bunch of high-priced players towards the end of his stint with the Orioles. Today's players are more pampered, etc.

Your highest paid player is batting .161 with no power and Coolbaugh has been working with him everyday for months and months.  Just saying, it couldn't hurt to get a new voice.  And its well documented that Davis and Coolbaugh are close.  It isn't working.  You see this all the time in golf.  Top players fire their caddie or swing coach because the message just doesn't get through anymore.  I mean we are talking Tiger Woods, Phil Mickleson, ect.  Davis needs a new voice.  I'm convinced of that.  But Buck doesn't have the brass balls to make a move.  Buck is basically useless as a manger now.  

1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Your highest paid player is batting .161 with no power and Coolbaugh has been working with him everyday for months and months.  Just saying, it couldn't hurt to get a new voice.  And its well documented that Davis and Coolbaugh are close.  It isn't working.  You see this all the time in golf.  Top players fire their caddie or swing coach because the message just doesn't get through anymore.  I mean we are talking Tiger Woods, Phil Mickleson, ect.  Davis needs a new voice.  I'm convinced of that.  But Buck doesn't have the brass balls to make a move.  Buck is basically useless as a manger now.  

I think Davis might be having sight issues. He seems to have a hard time picking up the ball. There are many times he just looks lost out there, sometimes taking a pitch right down the middle. Even when he gets contact it is much weaker than in the past. I just don't see how a batting coach can fix that.

9 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I think Davis might be having sight issues. He seems to have a hard time picking up the ball. There are many times he just looks lost out there, sometimes taking a pitch right down the middle. Even when he gets contact it is much weaker than in the past. I just don't see how a batting coach can fix that.

Well this is all true, but maybe a new batting coach would not have the personal friendship with Davis that he would actually be able to give it to Davis and Buck straight.  Like , hey guys,  he can't pick the ball up or see clearly.  We need a medical eval and a stint on the DL.    Not that Buck would listen.  He still thinks Tilly is going to turn it around when its right there that his stuff is garbage.  Coolbaugh is going too protect his Boy and tell him what he wants to hear.

If you remember back in 2014 whe Davis got suspended he was quoted as saying the ball was just a blur.  He was hitting .196 without his Adderall.  He is in the same place right now.  The O's need to look into some kind of medical explanation for sure.

31 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I heard a stat on the radio. There are 15 starting pitchers in the NL, that have a higher BA than Davis. :lol:

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I heard a stat on the radio. There are 15 starting pitchers in the NL, that have a higher BA than Davis. :lol:

That's just pathetic.  Wonder if lawyer Pete built any protections into that 161mil contract if Davis' ADHD would worsen to the point where he couldn't effectively play??   It would really be ironic if Pete gets burned on his biggest contract ever on a 'medical issue"""   

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

That's just pathetic.  Wonder if lawyer Pete built any protections into that 161mil contract if Davis' ADHD would worsen to the point where he couldn't effectively play??   It would really be ironic if Pete gets burned on his biggest contract ever on a 'medical issue"""   

The O's won't be able to void the contract, especially based on ADHD. In and of itself, that wouldn't be a good enough reason. But just in case they explored the possibility, it wouldn't fly. Because it was known that he had that condition, when they offered and ratified the contract. If teams can't void contracts based on PED violations, and they can't, then ADHD isn't going to change anything.

But I'll also add that I don't want to see Davis go anywhere. My only O's pleasure comes from reading the box score the next morning, and checking how many times he struck out. When he sits out, it sucks for me, because I have nothing to root for. I would absolutely love to see him hitting below .099. That would be freakin' incredible. I love the idea of the greedy player completely falling off the cliff, and the greedy owner having to pay him to do so, since Pete was the driver behind that deal (with Buck , of course). And I can't wait for the return of Tillman, I miss him. 

Here's the thing, I know that all sounds really bad. After all, what kind of fan would openly root for his team to suffer so. Well, the team is going to suffer, no matter how much I root against it. At least this way, I get to watch epicly terrible results by an extraordinarily overpaid athlete or two, that were given those contracts by an owner who has no business being in charge of a public trust. 

During that all too brief period, where the O's were fun to watch, Slidemaster would bemoan that it wasn't sustainable. And I would say to him, you're correct, it's not sustainable. It's going to end very soon. But I'm not about to spent these precious good days, dwelling on how they'll end soon. We had our moment friends. Sadly the ALCS visit was the high water mark. But it was fun while it lasted. And if we're back to a decade+ long streak of losing seasons, then it's up to me to find some fun in it. 

Knowing that this is almost certainly the last season that AJ will be an Oriole, I almost subscribed to a TV service, to watch his final 162 games with Baltimore. Whoo Doggie!!! Am I glad I didn't do that. :D

Edited by weird-O

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

The O's won't be able to void the contract, especially based on ADHD. In and of itself, that wouldn't be a good enough reason. But just in case they explored the possibility, it wouldn't fly. Because it was known that he had that condition, when they offered and ratified the contract. If teams can't void contracts based on PED violations, and they can't, then ADHD isn't going to change anything.

But I'll also add that I don't want to see Davis go anywhere. My only O's pleasure comes from reading the box score the next morning, and checking how many times he struck out. When he sits out, it sucks for me, because I have nothing to root for. I would absolutely love to see him hitting below .099. That would be freakin' incredible. I love the idea of the greedy player completely falling off the cliff, and the greedy owner having to pay him to do so, since Pete was the driver behind that deal (with Buck , of course). And I can't wait for the return of Tillman, I miss him. 

Here's the thing, I know that all sounds really bad. After all, what kind of fan would openly root for his team to suffer so. Well, the team is going to suffer, no matter how much I root against it. At least this way, I get to watch epicly terrible results by an extraordinarily overpaid athlete or two, that were given those contracts by an owner who has no business being in charge of a public trust. 

During that all too brief period, where the O's were fun to watch, Slidemaster would bemoan that it wasn't sustainable. And I would say to him, you're correct, it's not sustainable. It's going to end very soon. But I'm not about to spent these precious good days, dwelling on how they'll end soon. We had our moment friends. Sadly the ALCS visit was the high water mark. But it was fun while it lasted. And if we're back to a decade+ long streak of losing seasons, then it's up to me to find some fun in it. 

Knowing that this is almost certainly the last season that AJ will be an Oriole, I almost subscribed to a TV service, to watch his final 162 games with Baltimore. Whoo Doggie!!! Am I glad I didn't do that. :D

Just talking about the possibility that Davis is finished because of ADHD or whatever ailment he has that he can't see the ball anymore shows what idiots the O's are.  You said it. A known condition.  As scared as Pete is of health issues, this whole contract is just strange.  

Gausman had 10 strikeouts tonight and the loser offense couldn’t muster more than two pathetic runs. 

Showlater 100% needs to go, now. His time with this team has run its course. And he can take the strikeout king scrub Chris Davis with him.

Keep batting Davis in the middle of the lineup Buckaroo, he’ll have a break out game one of these days... when the ship you helped sink is shattered in pieces at the bottom of the ocean. Well done Buck!!

13 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

No, the guarantee language is reviewed very carefully by the MLBPA before it's approved. As I stated in a previous post, the only possible out would be if the Orioles could somehow demonstrate that Davis's previous PED usage had resulted in his physical skills eroding to the point where he was no longer to perform. Very difficult, to say the least. Plus, the players made sure that the league's drug policy did not result in a disqualification of a contract, even if a player had to serve a suspension for a failed drug test.

Unlike the NBA and the NHL, MLB does not uniformly insure contracts to protect against such things as injury (I'm not sure sucking is a valid reason for collecting). Those things are decided by the clubs on a case-by-case basis.

The Orioles are, unfortunately, stuck for the next four years. I did see today where the Twins DFA's Phil Hughes, thus effectively eating the remaining $22 million on his contract, but that's just crumbs compared to what the Orioles would have to swallow by releasing Davis at this point.

5 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Gausman had 10 strikeouts tonight and the loser offense couldn’t muster more than two pathetic runs. 

Showlater 100% needs to go, now. His time with this team has run its course. And he can take the strikeout king scrub Chris Davis with him.

Keep batting Davis in the middle of the lineup Buckaroo, he’ll have a break out game one of these days... when the ship you helped sink is shattered in pieces at the bottom of the ocean. Well done Buck!!

Two more strikeouts, .158 avg and .236 obp.  He's close!

Another pasting in progress.

They aren't even fun bad.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Another pasting in progress.

They aren't even fun bad.

How many K’s does Davis have so far tonight??  They should start hanging the K and backwards K signs for Davis in the outfield bleachers like they do for pitchers to record strikeouts 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

2 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

How many K’s does Davis have so far tonight??  They should start hanging the K and backwards K signs for Davis in the outfield bleachers like they do for pitchers to record strikeouts 

2PA, 1K

White Sox announcers so bored they're discussing the tight division races in the NL.

Out at the plate! Like that Gyvens play a few weeks (months?) back.

This outfield is brutal.

Not that that couldn't have been predicted.

Alrighty then. That'll do it for me. I have no idea who this pitcher is but he is not very good.

Oh lovely. So I should expect to see him for the next few years.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Oh lovely. So I should expect to see him for the next few years.

This is going to be a dark period in Orioles baseball.

We just have to hope it doesn't last 14 seasons this time, though I suppose we are already in Season 2.

They should start the FO purge and org rebuild tomorrow.

They won't, of course.