Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

2018: Remainder of the Season Games Thread

418 posts in this topic

Sox announcers mention their starting pitcher was a Rule V pick!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Sox announcers mention their starting pitcher was a Rule V pick!

Pfft!  One Rule V guy?

Pikers!

I've watched very few games this year but that's the second time I've seen Machado take his time throwing to first and letting the runner beat him.

For those too sensible to watch, an 11-1 final.

Worse than the 10-run first inning by KC?

2 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Kinda feels like the players, like many fans, have given up 

4 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Kinda feels like the players, like many fans, have given up 

Anyone who thinks the players haven't quit on Buck has a bag over their head.  And why wouldn't they quit with Buck's moves this year.  Buck has to look in the mirror and realize its over for him as a manager.  

8 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Just brutal.  Getting absolutely waxed by the worst team in baseball.  Which now means the O's are the worst team in baseball. 

Davis with another collar and a couple Ks.  Further into the abyss of no return.  Buck thinks he is close.  Keep batting him 5th.  Coolbaugh working on it. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Buck has to look in the mirror and realize its over for him as a manager.  

Not as long as there are Angelos' in charge.

32 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Not as long as there are Angelos' in charge.

Or Brady.  Brady needs cover in order to lurk in the shadows with no accountability for what's going on.  But with thumb in soup on all matters.

5 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Anyone who thinks the players haven't quit on Buck has a bag over their head.  And why wouldn't they quit with Buck's moves this year.  Buck has to look in the mirror and realize its over for him as a manager.  

100% agree 

On 5/22/2018 at 11:00 AM, CROUSEMAN said:

Well this is all true, but maybe a new batting coach would not have the personal friendship with Davis that he would actually be able to give it to Davis and Buck straight.  Like , hey guys,  he can't pick the ball up or see clearly.  We need a medical eval and a stint on the DL.    Not that Buck would listen.  He still thinks Tilly is going to turn it around when its right there that his stuff is garbage.  Coolbaugh is going too protect his Boy and tell him what he wants to hear.

If you remember back in 2014 whe Davis got suspended he was quoted as saying the ball was just a blur.  He was hitting .196 without his Adderall.  He is in the same place right now.  The O's need to look into some kind of medical explanation for sure.

Steve MelewskiVerified account @masnSteve 10m10 minutes ago

Asked Scott Coolbaugh if Davis has been slow to make adjustments? "Look, I'm rooting for Chris and have known him a long time. I'm available every day 4 any player that wants to work & make any changes they feel is necessary. I think it's up to Chris to decide what he wants."

It seems by this quote that Davis is not seeking help from the batting coach.

6 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Steve MelewskiVerified account @masnSteve 10m10 minutes ago

Asked Scott Coolbaugh if Davis has been slow to make adjustments? "Look, I'm rooting for Chris and have known him a long time. I'm available every day 4 any player that wants to work & make any changes they feel is necessary. I think it's up to Chris to decide what he wants."

It seems by this quote that Davis is not seeking help from the batting coach.

Coolbaugh is playing the CYA game.  And he absolutely should.  I don't know if he's a good hitting coach or not (I suspect not, based upon overall team results), but this one is on the player.

Posted (edited)

Through three innings:

Bundy - 38 pitches

White Sox pitchers - 112 pitches

Sadly, on any given day, those numbers could be reversed

Edited by Thirteen

These teams really blow ... 

At least the Chisox' rebuild is in progress.

I heard some stats on the Sox pitcher, and none of them were good. Four years ago, that guy was ranked as the 8th best prospect in the sport. Bundy was ranked 17 that year. The theme was highly rated prospects that have yet to pan out. 

4 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Through three innings:

Bundy - 38 pitches

White Sox pitchers - 112 pitches

Sadly, on any given day, those numbers could be reversed

Most of the time, on any given day, those #’s are reversed.

Great outing by Hess last night.  That's 2 out of 3.  Giving us a chance when he is out there.  This should help slam the door on any notion Buck had about getting Tilly back in the mix.  The "if not Tilly , then who else"  argument Buck has peddled for over a year now is lame.  

Offense putrid as usual after a big game. Too many guys sprinkled in the line-up hitting around .200 or less.  I've about seen enough of Gentry.  By All star break one of the young OF  should come up and take his place.  Gentry good on a contending club, but why on a 100 loss team.  Afraid Gentry is the new Reimold.  Will be hanging around for years cause Buck trusts him :lol:

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Afraid Gentry is the new Reimold.  Will be hanging around for years cause Buck trusts him :lol:

What a joke. Buck’s stubborness and loyalty to ‘his guys’ makes him look clueless and oblivious.  Maybe the sad fact is, he actually is.  Starting to look that way anyway   

He should sit down and really analyze the everyday starting lineups of the best teams in baseball to see what it takes to have a real, competing and exciting baseball club.  Instead of insisting on sticking with .200 and below type hitters and washed up pitchers simply b/c he ‘likes them’ or he’s ‘familiar with them’ or his gut is telling they’ll ‘break out’ at any moment. Lol

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Great outing by Hess last night.  That's 2 out of 3.  Giving us a chance when he is out there.  This should help slam the door on any notion Buck had about getting Tilly back in the mix.  The "if not Tilly , then who else"  argument Buck has peddled for over a year now is lame.  

Offense putrid as usual after a big game. Too many guys sprinkled in the line-up hitting around .200 or less.  I've about seen enough of Gentry.  By All star break one of the young OF  should come up and take his place.  Gentry good on a contending club, but why on a 100 loss team.  Afraid Gentry is the new Reimold.  Will be hanging around for years cause Buck trusts him :lol:

Actually, I like Gentry.  I know his average isn't very good(who's is on that team?) but he's above average defensively(something this team sorely lacks) and has speed with base stealing potential. (something the team also lacks completely) If I were the manager, I'd go up to him before the game and say, "you're my everyday right fielder and lead-off hitter for the remainder of the season."  I just think it would make them a better team all around. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, jamesdean said:

Actually, I like Gentry.  I know his average isn't very good(who's is on that team?) but he's above average defensively(something this team sorely lacks) and has speed with base stealing potential. (something the team also lacks completely) If I were the manager, I'd go up to him before the game and say, "you're my everyday right fielder and lead-off hitter for the remainder of the season."  I just think it would make them a better team all around. 

I do like his speed and defense also and agree that would give him some confidence

But that’s not Buck’s style unfortunately. Buck actually likes to put a guy out there for a few games, then when the guy finally has a breakout game he benches him again. Seen it so many times over the years.

Buck likes to go with his gut/ what his instincts are telling him day to day and moment to moment which clearly is not an effective strategy 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

I like Gentry too.  As a 5th OF on a contender.  I just see no need for him to be on the team any longer.  You have a younger, marginally better player with the exact same skill set in Rickard.  Rickard could help next year.  Gentry, meh. A .220 hitter at best, aging journeyman.  Here is a novel idea.  Lets try and find a LH hitting OF that can actually play a little. This roster construction is so poor, Jace Peterson is our only option.  And he makes Flash look like Pete Rose.  Well when you carry 3 DHs in Trumbs, Alvarez and Valencia you are just going to flat out suck and have holes.   And Buck has that covered for sure.  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

I do like his speed and defense also and agree that would give him some confidence

But that’s not Buck’s style unfortunately. Buck actually likes to put a guy out there for a few games, then when the guy finally has a breakout game he benches him again. Seen it so many times over the years.

Buck likes to go with his gut/ what his instincts are telling him day to say and moment to moment which clearly is not an effective strategy 

One of the first things Earl Weaver did when he took over in mid-1968, was put Don Buford at the top of order every day.  Hank Bauer had pretty much buried him on the bench along with Elrod Hendricks.  Weaver liked the fact that Buford added speed to the line-up and he could draw walks.  To me, that would be the Gentry analogy, although he's a much better fielder than Buford was.  I just don't see what you would have to lose at this point.  Play him every day and see what he can do. 

Edited by jamesdean