Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Manny isn't going anywhere

122 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just read between the lines.  I suspect it's Duquette's lips moving, but really Angelos talking.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/05/al-east-notes-duquette-orioles-martin-venters.html

The issue for the Orioles would be, ’Will the Orioles ultimately trade a player who’s on his way to a Triple Crown or possibly MVP season?’” Duquette said. “That’s an issue for the club. And in the offseason, there were some teams interested in Manny, but there wasn’t a lot of talent coming back. Because teams know it’s going to take a lot of money to re-sign Manny.”

Edited by Thirteen

Angelos has a track record of not allowing his execs to move "fan favorite" players. So I wouldn't be at all surprised, if Manny is here for game 162, and the O's settle for a comp pick. 

Who really cares anymore?

This team has created dangerous indifference among its fan base.

51 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Sad, but true

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Yeah, exactly.  And this quote from DD didn't surprise me one bit.  I've said at least twice now that the O's ownership/FO will hang their hat with the fans on an MVP season from Manny.  And that would be the excuse to do nothing. Most educated fans see right thru this baloney.  Like who cares, we are losing 100 games for Gods sake.  

Personally, my only interest anymore is to see this team completely collapse.  Its the only slim chance we have to get rid of Buck.  Yeah keep batting Davis 5th Buckeroo.

Dan probably won't even be involved with a trade of Manny, anyway. He's still here so Angelos can claim moral authority about "honoring contracts".

Brady will probably take a couple of very flawed prospects from whoever we trade Manny to so he can work with them over the offseason and "fix" them like he did with Mike Wright and Nolan Reimold.

22 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Personally, my only interest anymore is to see this team completely collapse.  Its the only slim chance we have to get rid of Buck. 

Buck's not going anywhere, either.  I have a feeling the Angelos' don't blame him for anything.  DD is their scapegoat.

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

What's sad is I had the indifference even before the season started. 

11 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Buck's not going anywhere, either.  I have a feeling the Angelos' don't blame him for anything.  DD is their scapegoat.

You are probably right.  But hopefully, they can hang the Davis deal around Buck's neck and exonerate their father -  "Buck's recommendation". He was all in on bringing him back whatever the cost was.  That's where the Angelos family lives, the dollar.

25 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

What's sad is I had the indifference even before the season started. 

I've had it since mid-2016. That was a good team, but a very boring one, and all their flaws were magnified in the WC game. Ever since then it's been a bonafide dumpster fire.

12 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I've had it since mid-2016. That was a good team, but a very boring one, and all their flaws were magnified in the WC game. Ever since then it's been a bonafide dumpster fire.

Do you really think the 2016 squad was a “good team,” even with its one-dimensional offense & subpar starting rotation?

Even if the O’s won the play-in Wild Card game, who would have been in the post-season rotation? 

Tillman, obviously, but after him...

Gausman.

Ubaldo shouldn’t have been on a post-season roster for anyone in MLB.

Dylan Bundy was at (or near) his innings limit.

Mike Wright? Tyler Wilson? Wade Miley? Gallardo? Vance Worley?

Heck, TJ McFarland was probably an option.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Dan probably won't even be involved with a trade of Manny, anyway. He's still here so Angelos can claim moral authority about "honoring contracts".

Brady will probably take a couple of very flawed prospects from whoever we trade Manny to so he can work with them over the offseason and "fix" them like he did with Mike Wright and Nolan Reimold.

Lmao. Sadly probably true 

18 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Do you really think the 2016 squad was a “good team,” even with its one-dimensional offense & subpar starting rotation?

Even if the O’s won the play-in Wild Card game, who would have been in the post-season rotation? 

Tillman, obviously, but after him...

Gausman.

Ubaldo shouldn’t have been on a post-season roster for anyone in MLB.

Dylan Bundy was at (or near) his innings limit.

Mike Wright? Tyler Wilson? Wade Miley? Gallardo? Vance Worley?

Heck, TJ McFarland was probably an option.

89 wins is a good team regardless of how you win them.

Teams with less wins have won world series. Several, actually.

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

89 wins is a good team regardless of how you win them.

Teams with less wins have won world series. Several, actually.

It’s hard to believe that team won 89 games.

For all the negative attention Showalter has received for leaving Britton in the bullpen, most fans forget we had, like, one hit after Ttumbo’s home run in that Wild Card game. The team hasn’t recovered from that offensive letdown. 

3 minutes ago, pitbull said:

It’s hard to believe that team won 89 games.

For all the negative attention Showalter has received for leaving Britton in the bullpen, most fans forget we had, like, one hit after Ttumbo’s home run in that Wild Card game. The team hasn’t recovered from that offensive letdown. 

That year's offense sucked all year, too. Solo HR's left and right. It was Britton and the BP that got us to 89 wins.

I think the more pertinent question would be, "Are the Orioles going to trade a player with or without whom they're going to finish last?"

I'd be very surprised is they'd trade Machado let alone trade him for any quality. Personally at this point it might be better to add Davis to any trade involving Machado if teams are unwilling to offer anything of substance. It would be an addition by subtraction and free up money to invest elsewhere.

2 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

I'd be very surprised is they'd trade Machado let alone trade him for any quality. Personally at this point it might be better to add Davis to any trade involving Machado if teams are unwilling to offer anything of substance. It would be an addition by subtraction and free up money to invest elsewhere.

No one is going to accept a trade where they get 3 months of Manny in exchange for also taking on 4.5 years/$103.5M for Davis. 

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

No one is going to accept a trade where they get 3 months of Manny in exchange for also taking on 4.5 years/$103.5M for Davis. 

I agree. It's wishful thinking on my part. But the Orioles can be creative with the offers. Wait! It's the Orioles. Nevermind. :D

37 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Factoring in salary, Davis has to be the worst player in the league.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I agree. It's wishful thinking on my part. But the Orioles can be creative with the offers. Wait! It's the Orioles. Nevermind. :D

Trumbo could be added to the deal. But Davis is here for the rest of his contract, even if he had a stunning turnaround, in a future season, he wouldn't be moved unless the O's eat half the remaining debt. And Angelos isn't going to do that. He believes The Crusher is drawing fans.  

Edited by weird-O

2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Probably, no one else comes to mind.

Posted (edited)

See, if they're lamenting that they can't get any decent value back for him because teams know it'll cost a lost of money to keep him long-term, then the retort is... why did you wait so long?  Manny's desire to at least test the free agent market has been blatantly obvious for a couple years now.  And his combination of tools, unlike a Davis or a Trumbo, are of the caliber that there isn't a chance he'll re-sign here.

As Brady actually pointed out several months ago, the time to extend Manny was probably a while back after his second trip to the DL.  At that point you're both gambling, Manny with the ability to lock in more money in the near-term at the expense of a couple extra years off the free agent market... and the Orioles with his (then) recent history of shaky health.  But there were never any serious talks of an extension at the time when he was at least as extendable as he was ever going to be.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the Orioles indecisiveness.  Only one Orioles GM in the last 20 years has managed to get value that turned in to anything in return for the handful of top talents that come through and ultimately leave the organization.  Everyone else has basically mixed some combination of lottery ticket investment strategy, and driving the cars until they have no remaining value for one reason or another.  

And did somebody mention Britton not pitching in the playoff game?  ;)

Edited by Ravens2006

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Don't even need to factor in the salary. His OPS is .500. Even for free he'd be among the worst players.

Edited by Pickle20