Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Manny isn't going anywhere

99 posts in this topic

This is starting to look more like a reality.  Every single day we lose value.  How can someone not drill that fact into DD (or Brady)’s brain? 

Duquette gonna spin it like “we weren’t getting the value in offers for Manny,”. He’s such a moron, he should go out pound the pavement for trades.  Duquette is the antithesis of Ozzie Newsome.

2 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

This is starting to look more like a reality.  Every single day we lose value.  How can someone not drill that fact into DD (or Brady)’s brain? 

Duquette gonna spin it like “we weren’t getting the value in offers for Manny,”. He’s such a moron, he should go out pound the pavement for trades.  Duquette is the antithesis of Ozzie Newsome.

You need to find a trade partner first. Most teams don't start looking at these types of deals until after Memorial Day. You spend the first two months of the season evaluating the team you have, the next two acquiring the team you want, then the final two months playing the team you've put together. I think that quote is attributable to Billy Beane, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The Cubs are rumored to be very interested in Manny, but we'll see how that pans out. Given that the Orioles have a history of "going dark" during trade discussions, neither the Cubs nor anyone else is going to be foolish enough to put all their eggs in one basket when the team on the other side of the table happens to be the Orioles. 

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

You need to find a trade partner first. Most teams don't start looking at these types of deals until after Memorial Day. You spend the first two months of the season evaluating the team you have, the next two acquiring the team you want, then the final two months playing the team you've put together. I think that quote is attributable to Billy Beane, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The Cubs are rumored to be very interested in Manny, but we'll see how that pans out. Given that the Orioles have a history of "going dark" during trade discussions, neither the Cubs nor anyone else is going to be foolish enough to put all their eggs in one basket when the team on the other side of the table happens to be the Orioles. 

I saw the some of the cubs media pushing for a Manny deal.  Names floated for Manny was a deal of Russell SS, Montgomery LHP, and top prospect RHP Alzoyla.  Is that enough?  Its certainly better than a comp pick. 

The other thing I didn't realize is that Manny's cousin in the Cubs CF.  Sounds like they are close.  So I have to think Manny would be all in on a deal to the Cubs.

29 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I saw the some of the cubs media pushing for a Manny deal.  Names floated for Manny was a deal of Russell SS, Montgomery LHP, and top prospect RHP Alzoyla.  Is that enough?  Its certainly better than a comp pick. 

If the O's accepted that garbage, they'd be laughed at. Russell is no special talent. Th O's would be doing them a favor, if they took AR, because Manny would make him redundant. Montgomery is a reliever who can spot start, that's all. The O's already have that guy in Castro. Alzoyla has a good fastball, but his breaking pitches project to be fair to average. He's a nice add on piece, but he isn't the center piece of a deal. He's a top pitching prospect in a system that hasn't developed any quality pitching, since Epstien took over. So yes, that return would be better than just a comp pick. But if a comp pick is the standard by which any return is being judged, then they're selling low...very low.

18 minutes ago, weird-O said:

If the O's accepted that garbage, they'd be laughed at. Russell is no special talent. Th O's would be doing them a favor, if they took AR, because Manny would make him redundant. Montgomery is a reliever who can spot start, that's all. The O's already have that guy in Castro. Alzoyla has a good fastball, but his breaking pitches project to be fair to average. He's a nice add on piece, but he isn't the center piece of a deal. He's a top pitching prospect in a system that hasn't developed any quality pitching, since Epstien took over. So yes, that return would be better than just a comp pick. But if a comp pick is the standard by which any return is being judged, then they're selling low...very low.

I hear ya.  But the comp pick is the bar, because the O's really don't want to make a move and most likely just choke down a comp pick.  I looked at the cubs top 20 prospects and they look tapped out.  They would need to add another top prospect to the above and not sure that would be anything great.

Bottom line the above package may be the best the O's can get.  So it looks like a comp pick for one of the best in baseball.

1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I hear ya.  But the comp pick is the bar, because the O's really don't want to make a move and most likely just choke down a comp pick.  I looked at the cubs top 20 prospects and they look tapped out.  They would need to add another top prospect to the above and not sure that would be anything great.

Bottom line the above package may be the best the O's can get.  So it looks like a comp pick for one of the best in baseball.

The thing is, it's too early to assume the comp pick is all they'll get in return. Angelos blocked a Manny trade last winter. Maybe that restriction will be removed, now that it's obvious that the team is dead. Let some teams figure out that they're in the race, they'll come calling. And they'll probably offer more than an average SS, a middle reliever, and a fair pitching prospect.

Just now, weird-O said:

The thing is, it's too early to assume the comp pick is all they'll get in return. Angelos blocked a Manny trade last winter. Maybe that restriction will be removed, now that it's obvious that the team is dead. Let some teams figure out that they're in the race, they'll come calling. And they'll probably offer more than an average SS, a middle reliever, and a fair pitching prospect.

I'm convinced no package will be enough for the O's.   Hey, we got an MVP to watch in 2018.  :D   What can beat that for the fans???

4 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I'm convinced no package will be enough for the O's.   Hey, we got an MVP to watch in 2018.  :D   What can beat that for the fans???

I hear ya.  

8 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I'm sure the Orioles think he's the current MVP front-runner.  He's not.

2 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I'm sure the Orioles think he's the current MVP front-runner.  He's not.

They are.  DD already has floated that propaganda for the reason on why not to deal Manny.  He is smarter than that.  Not sure what his motivation is other than to not get fired and not have that smudge on his resume.  Or he just thinks that will put teams on notice to up their offers.  

21 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

Duquette is the antithesis of Ozzie Newsome.

Close. He’s the antithesis of competence.

16 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Alzoyla is about the only Cubs' pitching prospect at this point, while Russell has regressed of late and has also had some off-field issues. From what I've heard and read, Montgomery is just a guy.

The Cubs farm system is very weak right now, having been mortgaged for their recent string of playoff runs. What they have on the field right now is pretty much what they have; most of their prospects don't even rank in anyone's top 150. Sometimes that's the price.

Posted (edited)

MVP’s don’t typically come from the worst team in MLB with the worst record. Manny would have to put up numbers far above anyone else to win an MVP this season 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

7 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

MVP’s don’t typically come from the worst team in MLB with the worst record. Manny would have to put up numbers far above anyone else to win an MVP this season 

If the season ended today, he'd probably finish, at best, 5th in the voting behind Betts, Martinez, Verlander and Trout (in no particular order).  And that's just off the top of my head, without looking at more stats.

4 hours ago, Thirteen said:

If the season ended today, he'd probably finish, at best, 5th in the voting behind Betts, Martinez, Verlander and Trout (in no particular order).  And that's just off the top of my head, without looking at more stats.

I’d vote Ohtani for the sheer magnitude of what he’s doing. 

Forget that selling crap. We're on a winning streak!:)

Posted (edited)

Duquette is really going to botch this, isn’t he.

Sports front office jobs really are funny, you can have complete and utter imbeciles wielding huge power and making ridiculous money.  I don’t think Dan Duquette could effectively run a Bob Evans restaurant.  Ok, maybe a Bob Evans, but definitely not a Cheesecake Factory.

Edited by Balmerboh

Posted (edited)

On 6/1/2018 at 7:54 PM, Balmerboh said:

Sports front office jobs really are funny, you can have complete and utter imbeciles wielding huge power and making ridiculous money.  I don’t think Dan Duquette could effectively run a Bob Evans restaurant.  Ok, maybe a Bob Evans, but definitely not a Cheesecake Factory.

And if Buck were the head chef he’d continue serving crappy food nobody likes every single day while the restaurant became a laughing stock and lost customers in droves.  Chef Buck would keep serving up this awful food and not make any adjustments... he’d be saying the food has a ‘track record’ even though it’s all well past expiration date 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

The problem with trading Manny is finding a team that is in a panic mode that will give up some good prospects.

IMO  if I was DD my offer would be, Manny and Davis as a package. Then take any offer for both.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:54 PM, Balmerboh said:

Spot on!

On 5/24/2018 at 8:24 AM, CROUSEMAN said:

I doubt it. I would be shocked if he’s not dealt by the trade deadline 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I doubt it. I would be shocked if he’s not dealt by the trade deadline 

There are rumors that the Orioles are interested in trading with Atlanta, but only if the Braves will include Flaherty in the deal.

Edited by NCBirdfan

8 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

There are rumors that the Orioles are interested in traded with Atlanta, but only if the Braves will include Flaherty in the deal.

He does have a track record.