Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Manny isn't going anywhere

122 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

There are rumors that the Orioles are interested in trading with Atlanta, but only if the Braves will include Flaherty in the deal.

The jolt the Orioles need!

13 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

There are rumors that the Orioles are interested in trading with Atlanta, but only if the Braves will include Flaherty in the deal.

LOL but I don't want him. Austin Riley is our future and I don't want to give up the future for a rental.

On 6/3/2018 at 2:02 AM, johnpolitics said:

The problem with trading Manny is finding a team that is in a panic mode that will give up some good prospects.

IMO  if I was DD my offer would be, Manny and Davis as a package. Then take any offer for both.

Any GM that is stupid enough to make that trade, is stupid enough to also give you the top 5 prospects in his system. 

3 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Any GM that is stupid enough to make that trade, is stupid enough to also give you the top 5 prospects in his system. 

I just hope we can get a couple of these Manny trade packages leaked, so we know what the O's are turning down.  Over the winter, the only definitive thing I saw was recently it was reported the Cards were the closest.  They had Gyrko and a couple pitching prospects in play.  Then it fell apart.  I assume the Cards only wanted to give up Gyrko and one top pitching prospect and the the O's wanted 2.

49 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Which then leads to this question:

Would your rather have a top 5 prospect, or would you rather be rid of Chris Davis?

Discuss.....

1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

Which then leads to this question:

Would your rather have a top 5 prospect, or would you rather be rid of Chris Davis?

Discuss.....

Rid of Davis.  Prospects aren't a guarantee.  Davis being a terrible hitter going forward is.

No one is going to take 4 years of Davis at $23M/yr, just to have 3 months of Manny. That trade isn't even worth pondering, because there isn't a GM stupid enough to take that offer from the O's. Davis is here to stay, because that's what the owner and manager want. How do we know that? because he's still batting clean up. Like a few others, I suspect the O's are now in season two of another long stretch of consecutive losing seasons. And since ridding themselves of Davis wouldn't mean they would re-invest that money into a worthy impact player, I could not care less if Davis is here, or not. He may as well stay here, and help the O's lose lots of games. He deserves to suffer a miserable career in which his legacy is a footnote to any reference to the worst single season stats in the history of the game.    

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Rid of Davis.  Prospects aren't a guarantee.  Davis being a terrible hitter going forward is.

At some point, they're going to have to insert his contract into their mouths, chew it good and swallow what's left.  

12 hours ago, weird-O said:

When the Braves rebuilt they pair a great closer Kimbrell with BJ Upton who had a bad contract.

Moving Davis with Manny isn't about getting a prospect, it is about getting rid of a bad contract.

10 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

When the Braves rebuilt they pair a great closer Kimbrell with BJ Upton who had a bad contract.

Moving Davis with Manny isn't about getting a prospect, it is about getting rid of a bad contract.

Upton's contract is nowhere near the same $$$ neighborhood as Davis's contract. And Upton, while under performing, was still seen as a player who could contribute. Davis truly appears to be finished. No one is going to make that trade. 

BTW, when I mentioned the top 5 prospects, it wasn't because I expected the O's to get that kind of return. It's because the idea that a GM would take Davis to get Manny, is so ludicrous. Mentioning the prospects was punctuation for how impossible it would be to unload Davis.    

10 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

No one is taking on Davis's contract.

11 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Absolutely.  The only way they're going to get rid of  him is to chew hard and swallow. 

Posted (edited)

On 6/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, weird-O said:

Upton's contract is nowhere near the same $$$ neighborhood as Davis's contract. And Upton, while under performing, was still seen as a player who could contribute. Davis truly appears to be finished. No one is going to make that trade. 

BTW, when I mentioned the top 5 prospects, it wasn't because I expected the O's to get that kind of return. It's because the idea that a GM would take Davis to get Manny, is so ludicrous. Mentioning the prospects was punctuation for how impossible it would be to unload Davis.    

Plus Buck would never let it happen. Davis is his guy and automatic everyday cleanup hitter!! 

So pathetic.  Buck and Davis should be a mandatory package along with Manny lol

Edited by BayAreaBmore

1 hour ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Plus Buck would never let it happen. Davis is his guy and automatic everyday cleanup hitter!! 

So pathetic.  Buck and Davis should be a mandatory package along with Manny lol

I agree. Buck isn't giving up on his neighbor 

I really dont see Big Dan or BradyA as having the foresight, vision or wherewithal to orchestrate a trade. Manny will remain on the Orioles this year because the Front Office & Angelos Family will contend he puts fans in the seats (lol!).

2 minutes ago, pitbull said:

I really dont see Big Dan or BradyA as having the foresight, vision or wherewithal to orchestrate a trade. Manny will remain on the Orioles this year because the Front Office & Angelos Family will contend he puts fans in the seats (lol!).

Yep, that's a very real probability. That has been Pete's M.O. for years. Don't move talented players, because the fans will stop coming out. And that ties in to his history of getting old, past their prime, former stars, like Sammy Sosa. Or cast offs, like Kevin Millar. Pete's philosophy is, we can't win a WS title, so I'll sign guys who were recently on WS teams, then have Jim Hunter talk about how huge it is, to get players with WS experience. I try to be optimistic, but it's sometimes hard to beat back the feeling that we're headed back into another decade+ of "also ran" baseball. 

11 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Definitely possible but I still think he is traded. Even the O's get that he needs to be moved, and soon.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, bmore_ken said:

Yes but somebody might take 15% of it in the 15% chance he ever looks like a baseball player again.

8 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

Yes but somebody might take 15% of it in the 15% chance he ever looks like a baseball player again.

The Orioles should give him a job at the stadium to fill out his contract. He probably could go around selling peanuts. He'd be a very expensive vendor but at least he'd be out of the lineup. Peter Angelos's biggest contributions to the team were signing Davis to that ridiculous contract and signing Albert Belle. At least Belle had 2 good seasons statistically. Davis just struck out a lot.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:57 AM, Pickle20 said:

Definitely possible but I still think he is traded. Even the O's get that he needs to be moved, and soon.

This morning I had a discussion with my wife. We were talking about the Orioles season with the focus on how bad Davis has been batting (can we still call it that?). We also talked about Machado. She asked why the the Orioles didn't extend him. I said their opportunity was about 2-3 years ago but they didn't even try to negotiate. I said there's still an outside chance they could extend him this year but it would have to be record-breaking contract to do it (not that it would ever happen). She said. "It would take a very special kind of player to sign with the Orioles now."

On 6/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, bmore_ken said:

True, and we are now looking at an organization’s number 3 prospect, at best. I fear the Angelos boys will have unrealistic expectations for the return. In the end, he stays put.

Gary Thorne just mentioned that Machado is the only Oriole that fans are voting for regarding the All-Star Game & Jim Palmer replied: “What team will he be playing for?”

On 6/7/2018 at 8:49 AM, pitbull said:

I really wonder what DD is doing during the workday.  He seems like one of those check “the email” in the morning, 2 hour lunch, return a call to someone in scouting in the afternoon, and then wind down the day with reading some newspapers, spending too much time on the Comics and crossword.

doesnt strike me as a modern day, up-tempo, strike while the iron is hot GM.  More like the work ethic of the CEO’s son

11 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

I really wonder what DD is doing during the workday.  He seems like one of those check “the email” in the morning, 2 hour lunch, return a call to someone in scouting in the afternoon, and then wind down the day with reading some newspapers, spending too much time on the Comics and crossword.

doesnt strike me as a modern day, up-tempo, strike while the iron is hot GM.  More like the work ethic of the CEO’s son

You're probably right, but not for the reasons you think. There are more and more stories being written, that assert that DD no longer has authority. His only role is to show up, make a statement, and glad hand when someone is signed. He's no longer the GM. Suspicions have arisen that he hasn't been the GM since he was offered the promotion to Toronto.  

Rosenthal wrote an article about a big O's shake up that looming, and the Manny trade market. It costs $50/yr to read the Athletic, so all I saw was the title. I thought it may be worth mentioning here.