Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Manny isn't going anywhere

122 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I saw in a trade chatter article where the writer mentioned that Machado was the biggest trade chip available despite being sub par defensively at SS.  That was kind of shocking.  I looked up his Defensive rating and he was a whopping minus 17 runs saved below average this year.   He was plus 6 and plus 13 the last 2 years at third.  Since he is insisting to play SS, eases the pain of him leaving.  Like some have said, maybe he really isn't the guy you build around.  What's his attitude and effort going to be after he gets the big pay day?

If I'm a GM and have the money, I'm signing him and having him put back at 3rd where he belongs

Manny is a "me first" athlete. He quits on games, a lot. If the O's give him $400M, he will be the face of the franchise. More than that, he will be the role model for all future rookies. What they'll see is a guy who doesn't run out ground balls, doesn't hustle defensively, because he thinks he's so much better than the game. That will become the Oriole Way. 

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

If I'm a GM and have the money, I'm signing him and having him put back at 3rd where he belongs

I can see a team trading for Manny and he will agree to play third for half a year.  But it will be interesting to see how this plays in FA negotiations if he insists on being a SS.  From his play at SS this year,  it can't be helping his value.   Could be a little bit of risk for a team that gives him a whopper deal as a third baseman and a couple months in he starts to whine and sulk that he wants to play SS.  The bait and switch.  

1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I can see a team trading for Manny and he will agree to play third for half a year.  But it will be interesting to see how this plays in FA negotiations if he insists on being a SS.  From his play at SS this year,  it can't be helping his value.   Could be a little bit of risk for a team that gives him a whopper deal as a third baseman and a couple months in he starts to whine and sulk that he wants to play SS.  The bait and switch.  

I knew this team was done when he was moved to short. That told me the inmates were running the asylum. Buck should have told him , you're the best third baseman in the league that's where you're playing. If you wanna sulk and whine and hurt your free agency prospects, that's on you.

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Manny is a "me first" athlete. He quits on games, a lot. If the O's give him $400M, he will be the face of the franchise. More than that, he will be the role model for all future rookies. What they'll see is a guy who doesn't run out ground balls, doesn't hustle defensively, because he thinks he's so much better than the game. That will become the Oriole Way. 

Agree.  Time to move on with a different kind of team.  Getting rid of Buck and Manny will be a good start.  We'll be still stuck with Chrissy, but maybe a new mgr and coaches could at least get him back  to a .200 hitter that can hit 25 dingers, LOL!!!  Chrissy may be done, but Buck's hands-off approach, let Chrissy do what Chrissy does, ain't working one bit.

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

I knew this team was done when he was moved to short. That told me the inmates were running the asylum. Buck should have told him , you're the best third baseman in the league that's where you're playing. If you wanna sulk and whine and hurt your free agency prospects, that's on you.

Exactly.  Then he follows that up with letting Chrissy hit lead-off because Chrissy wants to hit lead-off.  Cause Manny got what he wanted I want some too.  These two Buck boners along with his love for deadwood Tilly, Wright, Rasmus and Alvarez are all you need to know about Buck and the disaster of 2018.

Why is Mike Wright even on a Major League roster? He has appeared in 18 games & he has an ERA over 6.

4 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Why is Mike Wright even on a Major League roster? He has appeared in 18 games & he has an ERA over 6.

You could ask that question of half the guys on the roster. Including the guy they just added back to it: Rasmus.

Rickard had the 5th highest OPS on the team.

The O's think Wright will go somewhere else and become another Arrieta. That is puzzling for many reasons, chief among them being if you think he's that good, and you can't develop him, then the development people need to be fired.

Edited by Pickle20

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You could ask that question of half the guys on the roster. Including the guy they just added back to it: Rasmus.

Rickard had the 5th highest OPS on the team.

The O's think Wright will go somewhere else and become another Arrieta. That is puzzling for many reasons, chief among them being if you think he's that good, and you can't develop him, then the development people need to be fired.

Also, if he's that good, they would be getting calls, asking about his availability. But he's a FOB: Friend Of Brady 

29 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Also, if he's that good, they would be getting calls, asking about his availability. But he's a FOB: Friend Of Brady 

:lol: Half the team is FOB's.  Friend of Brady or Friend of Buck.  In a nutshell, that's why we suck.  The Country Club of B&B.  The place guys go when they are washed up but they want 3 million bucks to be on a phantom rehab assignment most of the year. Nice work if u can get it :D

2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

:lol: Half the team is FOB's.  Friend of Brady or Friend of Buck.  In a nutshell, that's why we suck.  The Country Club of B&B.  The place guys go when they are washed up but they want 3 million bucks to be on a phantom rehab assignment most of the year. Nice work if u can get it :D

All true

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I knew this team was done when he was moved to short. 

That and Jones still in CF let me know they weren't serious about winning a championship in 2018.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Spot on. Good Lord this team and manager are a complete JOKE 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

This team is like little league in so many ways.

For two years, my friend's dad was our LL coach and we drafted all the kids we knew. One year we were 1-15 and the other we were 8-8.

Sometimes you don't need to necessarily "like your guys."

19 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

This team is like little league in so many ways.

For two years, my friend's dad was our LL coach and we drafted all the kids we knew. One year we were 1-15 and the other we were 8-8.

Sometimes you don't need to necessarily "like your guys."

Exactly

How did Earl put it years ago?

Managing is about keeping the half of the team that dislikes you away from the half that isn't sure.

But not for Buck.

9 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

The Orioles got caught trying to serve two masters. One was the notion that they were going to be a contending team this year, and thereby doing what was best for the team, and the other was trying to placate Manny. Unfortunately, they chose Option No. 2.

I think every front office has, to some degree, a fear of the unhappy, unproductive ballplayer, but I think it's a complete myth. Were the Orioles really naive enough to think that Manny was going to whine and pout all season just because he didn't get his way? No way he was going to risk having a miserable season in a walk year and potentially cost himself millions on the open market. 

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

The Orioles got caught trying to serve two masters. One was the notion that they were going to be a contending team this year, and thereby doing what was best for the team, and the other was trying to placate Manny. Unfortunately, they chose Option No. 2.

I think every front office has, to some degree, a fear of the unhappy, unproductive ballplayer, but I think it's a complete myth. Were the Orioles really naive enough to think that Manny was going to whine and pout all season just because he didn't get his way? No way he was going to risk having a miserable season in a walk year and potentially cost himself millions on the open market. 

I agree 100% , except one tiny detail you left out.  This wasn't a front office decision.  This was all Buckeroo.  100% his decision.  Just another massive blunder by our manager.  It just amazes me how far he has fallen off.  

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I agree 100% , except one tiny detail you left out.  This wasn't a front office decision.  This was all Buckeroo.  100% his decision.  Just another massive blunder by our manager.  It just amazes me how far he has fallen off.  

Where to play a man is actually a decision Buck should be making. But he should have told Manny to shut up and play third.

It's also possible that Manny or his management dropped a hint that giving in on this would make him more likely to sign. That's certainly a lie, but Angelos has made some bad baseball decisions over the years and this could be another one. The numbers suggest Manny belongs at third, "natural shortstop" or not. Does anyone know what the average salary of elite players is by position? I bet shortstops get paid more than corners.

Edited by Evil Yoda

30 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Where to play a man is actually a decision Buck should be making. But he should have told Manny to shut up and play third.

It's also possible that Manny or his management dropped a hint that giving in on this would make him more likely to sign. That's certainly a lie, but Angelos has made some bad baseball decisions over the years and this could be another one. The numbers suggest Manny belongs at third, "natural shortstop" or not. Does anyone know what the average salary of elite players is by position? I bet shortstops get paid more than corners.

Camargo is why we don't need Manny.

29 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Not really. If you include the top 5 at both positions for 2018 SSs, including Manny are $16M, Tulowitzki at $15.7, Andrus $15M, Segura $14. Crawford $12.5. At 3rd you have Donaldson $23, Beltre at $18, Wright at $17.2, Longoria at $16.6, Turner at $16.  In your defense I was thinking the same as you.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/average/3rd-base/

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/average/shortstop/

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Baseball players, unlike their NFL counterparts, are not stratified by position when it comes to pay.