Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

I may have been wrong again

9 posts in this topic

Shocking, I know. Reading what some of the players are saying, specifically Suggs and Weddle, I may have been wrong about how good Dean Pees was while he was here. Keep in mind, the keyword here is "MAY". The guys were saying Wink is giving the players a lot more responsibility on the field and he will be taking off the handcuffs that Pees used to put on them. The players will have more freedom to roam the field unlike when Pees was here. They sounded pretty excited with this new responsibility. If this new freedom that they have on the field actually works out, I will have to admit I was wrong about Pees. If it doesn't, Ken can go take a long walk off a short pier.... a little preemptive strike there because I'm sure he will have some snarky comment on here.

Hey - Just be glad there's a positive change in the works and veteran players are excited about it. 

And if it does all pan out also be glad Pee's left of his own accord, because it's unlikely Harbaugh would have fired him.

Giving Harbs the benefit of a doubt, it's possible he spoke to Pees about changing  his defense philosophy or he'd have to go. It's more likely Pees was tired of taking the heat in Baltimore because his "retirement" lasted all of 2 hrs...

I hope it does work out. I'd love to see this defense get to the point where I thought they would be at last year. I do remember Pees getting a little testy in one of his press conferences which was really surprising.

Dean Pees and his prevent defenses won’t be missed.

16 hours ago, Manny said:

Dean Pees and his prevent defenses won’t be missed.

We will see. That has yet to be determined. How many offensive coordinators did we have to go through until we figured out Flacco was the problem? There are some people who still think we need to go through a few more offensive coordinators because Flacco is so inconsistent.

7 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

We will see. That has yet to be determined. How many offensive coordinators did we have to go through until we figured out Flacco was the problem? There are some people who still think we need to go through a few more offensive coordinators because Flacco is so inconsistent.

But if Marty Morninweg is the answer, then it must be a stupid question. Make no mistake though; Flacco is “a” problem. He is not “the” problem. 

Ray Lewis on Dean Pees.........

“Oh, my gosh,” Lewis replied when asked about Pees. “He’s a brain. And he’s a great teacher, a great man. To get him on the back end of my career, it was a blessing. He’s a gem.”

"When I call him a brain, I mean coach Pees, he takes a player and it’s like he is saying: Give me what is in your mind,” Lewis said. “One of the things that we started to do is spend a lot of quiet time with each other. We’d look at things and it was like, ‘No Dean, I don’t like that. Well, Ray, think about this.’ Marvin Lewis was like that, and Jack Del Rio was like that. That’s how Dean Pees is as a coach.

“Certain guys will sit there and grab all of the information from you and say, OK, this is what the game plan looks like. It’s one of his greatest abilities. He is not like most coordinators, who can be like: ‘We are running it’ with no questions asked. He has a great mind with great ideas, but he wants you to run your defense. He wants players to be comfortable.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/HOF-LB-Ray-Lewis-Provides-Insight-on-Titans-DC-Dean-Pees/b64b8ec7-0110-4f2e-8b12-be982dc9e7a5

Pretty much sounds like what is being said about Martindale.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  I'm not ready to blame Pees exclusively for the Ravens problems the last several years.  He's been in the NFL for a lot of years, and has had success as well.   The defense he called at the end of the Cincinnati game has been used countless times by many teams.  And most of them walked away winners.  How about not letting Tyler Boyd get wide open down the seam?  Oh, and if that mistake happens, how about somebody putting a hand on him and stopping him from getting to the end zone instead of looking like the three stooges out there? 

Maybe the truth is that the local media and fans in Baltimore always seem to over estimate their defensive talent.  They want the 2000 defense back and can't accept that the talent that is here today is nowhere near that.  The Raven's finished with the 12th ranked defense in the league last year.  Look at every good defensive statistic and you will find they were simply a little above average.  Maybe that's because that is exactly what kind of defensive talent they have.  They are not a top 3 defense, or a top 5 defense, or even a top 10.  No defensive coordinator was going to make them any better than they were because that is what kind of talent they had.  This defense doesn't have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed there to bail it out.  It has a collection of some younger decent talent, and some older talent that isn't quite what it used to be.  It is a slightly above average by NFL standards defense and nothing more.  You can scapegoat Dean Pees all you want for the Raven's defensive end of the game problems, but it had less to do with him and his coverage's than it had to do with his talent.  

And by the way, the new DC has exactly one year of DC experience with the Denver Broncos.  That year he finished with the leagues worst defense and was fired.  Will people begin to use that as an excuse?  Maybe the real excuse is right under everyone's noses.  The Raven's defensive talent is exactly what it has shown itself to be for the last several years......a little above average, nothing great.  

15 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Ray Lewis on Dean Pees.........

Pretty much sounds like what is being said about Martindale.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  I'm not ready to blame Pees exclusively for the Ravens problems the last several years.  He's been in the NFL for a lot of years, and has had success as well.   The defense he called at the end of the Cincinnati game has been used countless times by many teams.  And most of them walked away winners.  How about not letting Tyler Boyd get wide open down the seam?  Oh, and if that mistake happens, how about somebody putting a hand on him and stopping him from getting to the end zone instead of looking like the three stooges out there? 

Maybe the truth is that the local media and fans in Baltimore always seem to over estimate their defensive talent.  They want the 2000 defense back and can't accept that the talent that is here today is nowhere near that.  The Raven's finished with the 12th ranked defense in the league last year.  Look at every good defensive statistic and you will find they were simply a little above average.  Maybe that's because that is exactly what kind of defensive talent they have.  They are not a top 3 defense, or a top 5 defense, or even a top 10.  No defensive coordinator was going to make them any better than they were because that is what kind of talent they had.  This defense doesn't have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed there to bail it out.  It has a collection of some younger decent talent, and some older talent that isn't quite what it used to be.  It is a slightly above average by NFL standards defense and nothing more.  You can scapegoat Dean Pees all you want for the Raven's defensive end of the game problems, but it had less to do with him and his coverage's than it had to do with his talent.  

And by the way, the new DC has exactly one year of DC experience with the Denver Broncos.  That year he finished with the leagues worst defense and was fired.  Will people begin to use that as an excuse?  Maybe the real excuse is right under everyone's noses.  The Raven's defensive talent is exactly what it has shown itself to be for the last several years......a little above average, nothing great.  

I think the talent is there but we are just lacking in one key area to go from a good defense to a great defense and that is the pass rush. We just need one more player to get after the quarterback and we will be a top 3 defense in my opinion. I have always defended Pees up to this point. If all of the sudden this defense becomes a great defense next season then I will have to change my view on Pees.

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

I think the talent is there but we are just lacking in one key area to go from a good defense to a great defense and that is the pass rush. We just need one more player to get after the quarterback and we will be a top 3 defense in my opinion. I have always defended Pees up to this point. If all of the sudden this defense becomes a great defense next season then I will have to change my view on Pees.

That's fair enough.  If the Raven's defense suddenly has a major uptick it would be fair to point to Pees as part of the problem.  If Tennessee's defense suddenly gets better while the Ravens remain roughly the same, I think it would point more to the personnel rather than the DC.