Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

SFA

601 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Chris Braswell '20 gets the 'Bama offer.

Edited by themamba

My last count was that SFA has over 25 kids with FBS offers.  When most top programs struggle to get 1-2 kids I’d have to guess that SFA has more kids offered then entire state if you back out Dematha.  I think DM  has around 10 kids with offers.

Most of those offers are non committal right now but there good to have 

I think its great to have 25 kids with offers, but all those kids are not getting on the field to play. The issue I have with some of these privates, they got kids who could go start at a public school an get recruited just as well, and coached just as well,  Instead of sitting on the bench behind some 4-5 star. I know, some you going to say "well the com is better, thats how they are improving themselves" BS. Only way you get better as a player is to play in live action games. Then you have a kid who talent wise is a D1 player, but doesn't start until SR or JR year an hes behind from a football IQ standpoint. Now when he gets to the D1 , hes competing for playing time with guys he is just as talented as, but they have been starters in HS since SO year an have played 30+ games, They are just going to be better football players because they have been doing it longer. His development has been slowed because he hasn't been playing in real games. So now he has to play catch up when he gets to college , opposed to going to a school where he starts as a SO/JR as his development is good. 

What many people misunderstand is MOST of these players had offers BEFORE they transferred to SFA.  That is why SFA recruited them.

KIR is right on.  It’s all about chasing that National Title banner.

355 good points, several of the offers for the kids did not stick but it’s still great they will be playing college football at any level 

Posted (edited)

Every retired athlete and coach talk about how much they miss the competition.  I teach at Mt. Hebron.  At one time, their girls lacrosse program was the premiere program in the state.  I remember girls in my class not being excited about some games because they knew it was going to be a final of 24-1 or worse.  They had to play kids in other positions, 5 passes before you shoot, all things to keep the game competitive.  They were that much better than 90% of their schedule.  I worry that SFA is going to have some of the same issues on a different scale.  Are the majority of their games be running clock?  Is the talent going to be so much better that SFA is disappointed when they just "win", and do not blow someone out.  If too many games are running clock, are parents going to worry about their kids getting their "stats"?  Are the games going to look like FCS vs. FBS schools.  Where great FBS schools beat good FCS schools by 6 touchdowns.  Are they going to have enough competitive football games where the kids get the thrill of competition?  I am guessing time will tell. 

Edited by FBCoach
poor word choice

1 hour ago, FBCoach said:

Every retired athlete and coach talk about how much they miss the competition.  I teach at Mt. Hebron.  At one time, their girls lacrosse program was the premiere program in the state.  I remember girls in my class not being excited about some games because they knew it was going to be a final of 24-1 or worse.  They had to play kids in other positions, 5 passes before you shoot, all things to keep the game competitive.  They were that much better than 90% of their schedule.  I worry that SFA is going to have some of the same issues on a different scale.  Are the majority of their games be running clock?  Is the talent going to be so much better that SFA is disappointed when they just "win", and do not blow someone out.  If too many games are running clock, are parents going to worry about their kids getting their "stats"?  Are the games going to look like FCS vs. FBS schools.  Where great FBS schools beat good FCS schools by 6 touchdowns.  Are they going to have enough competitive football games where the kids get the thrill of competition?  I am guessing time will tell. 

Are they going to have enough games to fill out a schedule 

BINGO!!! Loyola was the first to make a move to eliminate SFA - not saying that is the best course of action - but believe they will not be the last team to say enough is enough. 

Well word on the street that the other Catholics along with MCD are in talks to boycott playing them this year this could all just be speculation 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, GOOCH said:

Well word on the street that the other Catholics along with MCD are in talks to boycott playing them this year this could all just be speculation 

Well that's been the word on the street for the last 2yrs...

On 5/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, GOOCH said:

If that happens, SFA will buckle immediately. They already can’t find meaningful OOC games due to burned bridges. An independent schedule is impossible at this point. 

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

If that happens, SFA will buckle immediately. They already can’t find meaningful OOC games due to burned bridges. An independent schedule is impossible at this point. 

FCA has never been in a league. Local Catholic schools said not to play them and finding meaningful OOC games is still hard for them to get. But they have done so and still grinding.

2 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

FCA has never been in a league. Local Catholic schools said not to play them and finding meaningful OOC games is still hard for them to get. But they have done so and still grinding.

At first glance, I thought you were way off on the comparison, but after thinking about it, they are very similar. The WCAC has no problem playing FCA now. The reason they did not schedule before was because they weren’t going to play by FCA’s rules. The WCAC bullied FCA into changing the program’s strategy. FCA was straight up recruiting players with the promise of not sitting out a year. That ended. With SFA, the rest of the MIAA needs to figure out what they want to do. Personally, I have no clue what the MIAA will do. They may just let it fly. 

27 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

At first glance, I thought you were way off on the comparison, but after thinking about it, they are very similar. The WCAC has no problem playing FCA now. The reason they did not schedule before was because they weren’t going to play by FCA’s rules. The WCAC bullied FCA into changing the program’s strategy. FCA was straight up recruiting players with the promise of not sitting out a year. That ended. With SFA, the rest of the MIAA needs to figure out what they want to do. Personally, I have no clue what the MIAA will do. They may just let it fly. 

The difference is FCA was not breaking (or ignoring) any rules because DC public and Public charter schools didnt have transfer rules. Its ironic (strategic) that the WCAC forced the DCSAA's hand into a transfer rule but then backed out when they wanted to do the transfer thing outright. The majority of the Kids were leaving WCAC schools because they were buried on the depth chart and that has not changed its just spread out amongst other schools. 

7 minutes ago, dcguy said:

The difference is FCA was not breaking (or ignoring) any rules because DC public and Public charter schools didnt have transfer rules. Its ironic (strategic) that the WCAC forced the DCSAA's hand into a transfer rule but then backed out when they wanted to do the transfer thing outright. The majority of the Kids were leaving WCAC schools because they were buried on the depth chart and that has not changed its just spread out amongst other schools. 

Is SFA actually breaking any rules? I figure that would of been posted here if so.

Nothing is ironic about what the WCAC did with FCA. The WCAC is a private league. They can do whatever they want. FCA needed the WCAC. I don’t think the WCAC is sorry for not scheduling games with a team that was actively recruiting their players. No need to make FCA into a victim now. 

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

What FCA rules are you referring too? They were not in a league and the city didnt have transfer rules. You mean recruiting? If so the WCAC was around well b4 FCA and if anything they were following what the WCAC was doing. From what I got the WCAC was mad because FCA got kids to come to their program as freshman that were supposed to go to WCAC schools. Looking back at it they were also an outlet for families who kids were buried on depth charts.

Back to SFA I think they will be fine if the MIAA kicks them out. Its gonna be interesting to follow. I dont think it will happen. They will adjust the rules first. IMO!

But what if it happens this year and they only get to play a couple of games? You don't think that would hurt their recruiting.  And would kids make a exodus from the program like they came to the program. 

41 minutes ago, jbmad said:

But what if it happens this year and they only get to play a couple of games? You don't think that would hurt their recruiting.  And would kids make a exodus from the program like they came to the program. 

Dont think that will happen. Its a lot of schools that will play them if they schedule it early enough. Hell I think FCA and HD would play them. Avalon too.

1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

What FCA rules are you referring too? They were not in a league and the city didnt have transfer rules. You mean recruiting? If so the WCAC was around well b4 FCA and if anything they were following what the WCAC was doing. From what I got the WCAC was mad because FCA got kids to come to their program as freshman that were supposed to go to WCAC schools. Looking back at it they were also an outlet for families who kids were buried on depth charts.

Back to SFA I think they will be fine if the MIAA kicks them out. Its gonna be interesting to follow. I dont think it will happen. They will adjust the rules first. IMO!

Yes, everyone understands FCA had no rules. I said that as a figure of speech.

FCA’s recruiting revolved around the WCAC transfer policy. The WCAC did what they needed to do to put a stop to that. Like I said, there’s no need to make FCA out to be a victim. Nobody feels sorry for them. They knew what they were getting into when they started going after players at GC, DM, SJC, etc...FCA’s biggest mistake during this time was the underestimation of the WCAC as a group. They didn’t understand how close the charter schools are.

The MIAA won’t kick SFA out. They may change some rules, but they’ll offer SFA a chance to abide by them. If SFA decides to go independent, they won’t survive. That’s certain. They don’t have the money for that.