Struds

NFL National Anthem Mandate

81 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see if this stands.  I have mixed feelings; I believe it is disrespectful to kneel, talk or otherwise not acknowledge the anthem is a symbol of our country, but at the same time, I understand it is a right to do so.

Amid repeated protests during the playing of the national anthem over the past two seasons, the NFL on Wednesday passed a revised policy that mandates players and team personnel present on the sideline “shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.”

The revision, which was unanimously agreed to, allows players who would not wish to stand to remain in the locker room. Also under the revision, each franchise will have the power to issue their own policies, which could include fines for players protesting the anthem, under the conduct detrimental provision of the league’s personal conduct policy.

The league also now has the power to fine any franchise that has personnel that does not stand or "show respect" while present on the sideline for the anthem.

The policy was passed Wednesday in Atlanta at the spring league meeting.

The NFL Players Association has already taken issue with the policy, which was reached without the union present.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/05/23/nfl-national-anthem-policy-kneeling-protest/637050002/

I think it's a sensible solution.

There has never been a "right" of private-sector employees to hold a political demonstration in the workplace.

I just want to stop hearing about this crap.

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

This probably reignites the discussion, so don't look! 😎

Offsetting penalties? Useless gesture? 

8 hours ago, regularguy said:

I think it's a sensible solution.

There has never been a "right" of private-sector employees to hold a political demonstration in the workplace.

I agree. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting that the NFL put this provision under Game Day Management, which isn't subject to collective bargaining.

The owners reportedly voted 31-0 in favor of the new rules, with the one abstention being Jed York of the 49ers.

Edited by mdrunning

Posted (edited)

Here's the best solution,... stop playing the National Anthem at NFL games! And while you're at it,.. put an end to the flying jets, jump jockeys and all the other politically tainted military propaganda. You wanna contain the political voice of some Americans, then don't start the show with politics. You wanna play a song? Then plan the home team song,... now that's something everyone can proudly get behind. My middle son played with the Ravens Marching Band a couple weeks during their off season practices. Didn't make the cut, but before his involvement, I had never heard the Raven's team song. Could be nice getting all us Ravens fans behind the piece. Bottom line, it goes back to the ole saying,... 'Don't want none, then don't start none,... politics that is! 

Edited by ericpd

11 hours ago, ericpd said:

Here's the best solution,... stop playing the National Anthem at NFL games! And while you're at it,.. put an end to the flying jets, jump jockeys and all the other politically tainted military propaganda. You wanna contain the political voice of some Americans, then don't start the show with politics. You wanna play a song? Then plan the home team song,... now that's something everyone can proudly get behind. My middle son played with the Ravens Marching Band a couple weeks during their off season practices. Didn't make the cut, but before his involvement, I had never heard the Raven's team song. Could be nice getting all us Ravens fans behind the piece. Bottom line, it goes back to the ole saying,... 'Don't want none, then don't start none,... politics that is! 

Not going to happen because the DoD pays the NFL some big bucks to promote them.  The NFL is a business and that's the way it works in America.  

On 5/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, Pickle20 said:

I'm with you on this. 

So are the thousands and thousands that "sold" their season tickets going to try to re-purchase them?  :lol:

12 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Not going to happen because the DoD pays the NFL some big bucks to promote them.  The NFL is a business and that's the way it works in America.  

So you're saying it's American to demand that Americans surrender their American rights of free speech and protest so that a commercial can play out smoothly? Are you saying that's the way it works in America?

This is so stupid. Why even play the National Anthem? What does that have to do with football anyway?

7 hours ago, ericpd said:

So you're saying it's American to demand that Americans surrender their American rights of free speech and protest so that a commercial can play out smoothly? Are you saying that's the way it works in America?

This isn't a First Amendment issue.

9 hours ago, ericpd said:

Who lost their right of free speech?  The only thing done here was to set down a set of rules for on field behavior during the playing of the anthem.  Nobody was forced to stand and show patriotism,  they were given options, and nobody was told they could not physically or verbally support whatever cause they want at a time of their choosing.  They were only told that while at their place of employment they should refrain from kneeling during the anthem.  If they do not wish to stand and show support, they are free to remain in the locker room.  

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

This isn't a First Amendment issue.

Why not? Just because the NFL is a business? Your scope of Constitutional coverage is overly limited,... too limited.

Edited by ericpd

15 minutes ago, ericpd said:

Why not? Just because the NFL is a business? Your scope of Constitutional coverage is overly limited,... too limited.

The first amendment doesn't apply to private businesses. You're a smart enough guy to know that.

14 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

The first amendment doesn't apply to private businesses. You're a smart enough guy to know that.

Does taking a knee affect the outcome of a game? Private businesses cannot force its employees to stand for the national anthem.

Just now, NCBirdfan said:

Does taking a knee affect the outcome of a game? Private businesses cannot force its employees to stand for the national anthem.

Does taking a knee affect a game? No. Can a private business force it's employees to stand for the anthem? No and the NFL isn't doing that with this policy. Don't get me wrong, I think the whole thing is silly on both sides and I don't have a dog in the fight, but you can't claim a first amendment violation where there isn't one. Which is the point I made. But here's the thing, if the players really want to fight this thing, stay in the tunnel.I'm guessing there will be some kind of affect if only 12 of 52 players are on the field for the anthem. 

The majority of players are black, the majority of fans in the stands are white.

This policy solves nothing.

Play God Bless America instead. Or "This Land is Your Land.

7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Does taking a knee affect a game? No. Can a private business force it's employees to stand for the anthem? No and the NFL isn't doing that with this policy. Don't get me wrong, I think the whole thing is silly on both sides and I don't have a dog in the fight, but you can't claim a first amendment violation where there isn't one. Which is the point I made. But here's the thing, if the players really want to fight this thing, stay in the tunnel.I'm guessing there will be some kind of affect if only 12 of 52 players are on the field for the anthem. 

Good point,... I was thinking the same thing. What if only the Coaching Staff, Trainers, Ball Handlers, and the Waterboy were on the field? What a statement! Player unity would have a big role. Could you imagine a NE game where only Brady and a couple players whose names end in 'sky' show up on the field for the NA? Outstanding! But I'm guessing the red necks would get upset of even that.

But I still disagree with you a little on the private business thing and the righteousness of the so-called compromise. 

9 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The majority of players are black, the majority of fans in the stands are white.

This policy solves nothing.

Play God Bless America instead. Or "This Land is Your Land.

Bingo!

10 minutes ago, ericpd said:

Good point,... I was thinking the same thing. What if only the Coaching Staff, Trainers, Ball Handlers, and the Waterboy were on the field? What a statement! Player unity would have a big role. Could you imagine a NE game where only Brady and a couple players whose names end in 'sky' show up on the field for the NA? Outstanding! But I'm guessing the red necks would get upset of even that.

But I still disagree with you a little on the private business thing and the righteousness of the so-called compromise. 

Technically, you're correct. I have the right to tell my boss he sucks. He also has the right to fire me for it. So technically I exercised my first amendment right. Now I just have to figure out how to feed my family. 

10 hours ago, ericpd said:

And your knowledge appears to be non-existent.

The First Amendment does not restrict the activities of organizations such as the NFL, which is governed by its own contractual agreements.

The NFL’s 2017 Official Playing Rules go a step forward and prohibit players from “wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages” or “which relate to political activities or causes.” The wording of these agreements suggest players' freedom of speech or expression is subordinated to what the NFL, or its individual teams, consider appropriate to express. 

Posted (edited)

I just don't care at this point.  America no longer really exists anymore anyway.  There's a country with a stars-and-stripes flag that has a lot of people and businesses, but there is nothing United about the United States.  It's two political parties playing election season like it's a team sport, trying as hard as possible to spin, twist, disavow, obscure, deny, question, and generally take a crap on the truth if it makes them look bad.  Both sides hate each other, the people that follow each side hate each other, and the info-tainment news media are practically creaming their pants to keep widening the divide because man is it GOOD for business.

I respect the national anthem for the sacrifices of the troops that it represents.  It's a shame that we as a nation have taken the freedom they died for and used it to turn ourselves into a political dumpster fire.

Edited by Slidemaster