Struds

NFL National Anthem Mandate

81 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, ericpd said:

Good point,... I was thinking the same thing. What if only the Coaching Staff, Trainers, Ball Handlers, and the Waterboy were on the field? What a statement! Player unity would have a big role. Could you imagine a NE game where only Brady and a couple players whose names end in 'sky' show up on the field for the NA? Outstanding! But I'm guessing the red necks would get upset of even that.

But I still disagree with you a little on the private business thing and the righteousness of the so-called compromise. 

Don't think it's going to happen.  Listening to player remarks on the NFL network, most of them are ready to simply put the whole issue behind them and play football.  Media and fans are now making more over this than the players are.  I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing dies out before the first game.  The media will try to revive it by finding the few players who don't come out onto the field, but there isn't likely to be any kind of mass player revolt over this issue.  But all of you guys that are upset with the NFL over this policy, do you boycott the NBA?  The NBA has had a much stronger policy in place that requires players to stand respectfully for the anthem for decades.  Why no issue with them?

In a memo to teams, deputy NBA commissioner Mark Tatum reminded them, "The NBA has a rule that players, coaches and trainers stand respectfully for the anthem. The league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach or trainer does not stand for the anthem. (Teams do not have the discretion to waive this rule)."

And if you're curious what penalty NBA players would face if they do step out of line, look no further than Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the Muslim former Nugget who refused to stand because of his religious and personal beliefs in 1996. Abdul-Rauf called the flag a "symbol of oppression, of tyranny."  "This country has a long history of that," he said. "I don't think you can argue the facts. You can't be for God and for oppression. It's clear in the Koran, Islam is the only way. I don't criticize those who stand, so don't criticize me for sitting. I won't waver from my decision."

The NBA suspended him one game and he had to give up $31,707 in salary as punishment. He agreed to stand and pray during the anthem going forward.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nfl-ripped-anthem-policy-nba-free-pass-article-1.4008048

On 5/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, Slidemaster said:

I just don't care at this point.  America no longer really exists anymore anyway.  There's a country with a stars-and-stripes flag that has a lot of people and businesses, but there is nothing United about the United States.  It's two political parties playing election season like it's a team sport, trying as hard as possible to spin, twist, disavow, obscure, deny, question, and generally take a crap on the truth if it makes them look bad.  Both sides hate each other, the people that follow each side hate each other, and the info-tainment news media are practically creaming their pants to keep widening the divide because man is it GOOD for business.

I respect the national anthem for the sacrifices of the troops that it represents.  It's a shame that we as a nation have taken the freedom they died for and used it to turn ourselves into a political dumpster fire.

I think this is very well said.  You should put it in the thread about the decision on the nationals.  You are right.  There is no such thing as the "United" states anymore.  The two party system has pitted roughly two halves of the country against themselves.  Sports was one of the few things left that could unite people in this country, at least for a little while.  Now even that seems to be disappearing.  

29 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I think this is very well said.  You should put it in the thread about the decision on the nationals.  You are right.  There is no such thing as the "United" states anymore.  The two party system has pitted roughly two halves of the country against themselves.  Sports was one of the few things left that could unite people in this country, at least for a little while.  Now even that seems to be disappearing.  

I try to avoid Nationals because it embodies everything I hate about politics, but maybe I will.  It all makes me sick.

I just don't care at this point.  America no longer really exists anymore anyway.  There's a country with a stars-and-stripes flag that has a lot of people and businesses, but there is nothing United about the United States.  It's two political parties playing election season like it's a team sport, trying as hard as possible to spin, twist, disavow, obscure, deny, question, and generally take a crap on the truth if it makes them look bad.  Both sides hate each other, the people that follow each side hate each other, and the info-tainment news media are practically creaming their pants to keep widening the divide because man is it GOOD for business.

I respect the national anthem for the sacrifices of the troops that it represents.  It's a shame that we as a nation have taken the freedom they died for and used it to turn ourselves into a political dumpster fire.

Right on point Slide.  It's sad we've come to this.

I don't think it's quite that bad .....

Probably 10 or 20% on either side that are partisan hacks but the rest of America is still a wonderful place .....

This board and other on line forums aren't representative of the best of America.....

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Probably 10 or 20% on either side that are partisan hacks but the rest of America is still a wonderful place .....

This board and other on line forums aren't representative of the best of America.....

I’ve said that here many times. The anonymity of the internet allows you to be whoever you want to be. That’s why there are so many rich posters on this forum who apparently can’t find anything else to do with their time. 😂

Edited by bmore_ken

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I’ve said that here many times. The anonymity of the internet allows you to be whoever you want to be. That’s why there are so many rich posters on this forum who apparently can’t find anything else to do with their time. 😂

So are you saying these forums are actually more representative of the true America than our interactions in real life? If so, sadly I fear you may be correct. 

3 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I don't know.  I seems pretty freaking bad to me.  I'd like to think you're right but I just don't see it.

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

I don't know.  I seems pretty freaking bad to me.  I'd like to think you're right but I just don't see it.

It’s impossible to know who’s behind the user name. Example #1, Russian trolls. 

Edited by bmore_ken

14 minutes ago, Rael said:

So are you saying these forums are actually more representative of the true America than our interactions in real life? If so, sadly I fear you may be correct. 

I’m not saying that. I’m saying anyone can be anyone or anything on the internet.  I could be a surgeon who has a summer home in Europe and dates super models. You could be a relative of Michael Jordan who got see all his playoff games for free. 

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I know right .....

Very few doctors, lawyers,  executives, successful business owners on these boards .....

I can't post during the week unless before 0500, after 2000 or stuck in an airport .....

This board in particular is over represented by government workers, retirees and other with a lot of time on their hands .....

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm basing my opinion on what I see walking around in the real world.  I don't think any internet forum necessarily represents an accurate cross section of the country.

With that said, it would be pretty darned sad for someone to have to pretend to be someone they aren't.

2 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

I'm basing my opinion on what I see walking around in the real world.  I don't think any internet forum necessarily represents an accurate cross section of the country.

With that said, it would be pretty darned sad for someone to have to pretend to be someone they aren't.

I’m glad I don’t hang in your circles 

35 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I’m glad I don’t hang in your circles 

Are things appreciably different in your circles? Do you have liberal and conservative friends who hang out together and can discuss politics in a civil and mutually beneficial way?  Because everyone that I know who is invested in politics looks at the other side like they're the bad guy in a marvel movie.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I know right .....

Very few doctors, lawyers,  executives, successful business owners on these boards .....

I can't post during the week unless before 0500, after 2000 or stuck in an airport .....

This board in particular is over represented by government workers, retirees and other with a lot of time on their hands .....

I am now one of the retirees. Used to post after work until dinner. Damn weather predictors caused us to head home yesterday from the beach. Friends still there say it drizzled a little. 

It was the Ravens Roost Convention weekend.

Edited by stevez51

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

IMO it's easy to tell who is real and who is not. If someone is not real that usually comes out in their posts eventually no matter how hard they try to conceal it.

Edited by NCBirdfan

1 hour ago, Slidemaster said:

Are things appreciably different in your circles? Do you have liberal and conservative friends who hang out together and can discuss politics in a civil and mutually beneficial way?  Because everyone that I know who is invested in politics looks at the other side like they're the bad guy in a marvel movie.

Down here in the south it is how you describe and people who are seemingly rational people otherwise really have an incapability of listening to the other side when it comes to politics.And this has gotten much worse since Trump became president. I've heard so many conspiracy theories it makes me want to throw up.

1 hour ago, Slidemaster said:

My circle is different. I work with Republicans and Democrats and I have both in my family.  Personally I stay out of political discussions, but of those I’ve heard the conversations are civil. I guess it’s because I don’t kick it with hardcore lefties or righties. 

25 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

IMO it's easy to tell who is real and who is not. If someone is not real that usually comes out in their posts eventually no matter how hard they try to conceal it.

Yet no one figured out Russian trolls until after the election?

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Yet no one figured out Russian trolls until after the election?

If one goes into social media with a bit of skepticism the majority of them were recognizable and ignored. For awhile I used to out them (disclaimer: I didn't actually know they were Russian bots at the time) on Facebook but I stopped doing it eventually because others defended them.

But, yes, they were rather easy to pick out if one really was looking for truth and not just looking for unverified backing for their already preconceived opinions.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

If one goes into social media with a bit of skepticism the majority of them were recognizable and ignored. For awhile I used to out them (disclaimer: I didn't actually know they were Russian bots at the time) on Facebook but I stopped doing it eventually because others defended them.

But, yes, they were rather easy to pick out if one really was looking for truth and not just looking for unverified backing for their already preconceived opinions.

They were easy to pick out, yet millions of people couldn’t? Can you point out the ones who posted here?

Edited by bmore_ken

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

They were easy to pick out, yet millions of people couldn’t?

I've said this many times before...we have a lot of lazy people in this country when it comes to information. They would rather have it spoon fed to them instead of doing a bit of research themselves. An example is my father-in-law who watches Fox News constantly. When we do discuss politics he will often repeat what he saw. When I ask him deeper questions about it he is clueless because he doesn't take it a step further to investigate the authenticity of what he was told. But just like on social media he doesn't care to question his sources because they feed him with opinions he already accepts.

For me I get the majority of my information from reading. The reason I believe I am more informed than someone who just watches news/videos is that when I read I can back up and say, "Wait a minute. That doesn't make sense."  I can take as much time as I want or need to get the proper verification. I also don't rely on just one source or a group of sources. It's not always foolproof either though and I have been misled on occasion. But more often than not print media has been more reliable.

Edited by NCBirdfan

1 minute ago, NCBirdfan said:

I've said this many times before...we have a lot of lazy people in this country when it comes to information. They would rather have it spoon fed to them instead of doing a bit of research themselves. My father-in-law watches Fox News way too much IMO. When we do discuss politics he will often repeat what he saw. When I ask him deeper questions about it he is clueless because he doesn't take it a step further to investigate the authenticity of what he was told. But just like on social media he doesn't care to question his sources because they feed him with opinions he already accepts.

For me I get the majority of my information from reading. The reason I believe I am more informed than someone who just watches news/videos is that when I read I can back up and say, "Wait a minute. That doesn't make sense."  I can take as much time as I want or need to get the proper verification. I also don't rely on just one source or a group of sources. It's not always foolproof either though and I have been misled on occasion. But more often than not print media has been more reliable.

Who were the Russian trolls who posted here? Or was this site immune?

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Who were the Russian trolls who posted here? Or was this site immune?

I don't know who specifically were Russian trolls. I was speaking more so on content. The Russian trolls would get nowhere if one took precautions and verified information being spewed. To me the Russian trolls were no different than any other type of trolls in that their intent was to inflame and mislead.

4 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I don't know who specifically were Russian trolls. I was speaking more so on content. The Russian trolls would get nowhere if one took precautions and verified information being spewed. To me the Russian trolls were no different than any other type of trolls in that their intent was to inflame and mislead.

So you actually don't know who they were? Just clarifying.