Struds

NFL National Anthem Mandate

74 posts in this topic

Just now, bmore_ken said:

So you actually don't know who they were? Just clarifying.

OK Ken. You got me. :)

No. Not specifically. The Russians were very good in their efforts. I was just saying that if one is skeptical and does his research they, like any other misinformation spread could be discarded. It shouldn't matter where the source comes from if one is open to seek the truth. The Russians preyed on a lazy contingency.

13 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

OK Ken. You got me. :)

No. Not specifically. 

That's what I thought, but thanks for clarifying. :)

13 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

That's what I thought, but thanks for clarifying. :)

I blame it on Ambien. ;)

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Yet no one figured out Russian trolls until after the election?

they all knew about them but didn't think it would matter and didn't want to taint hilary's victory.....

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

My circle is different. I work with Republicans and Democrats and I have both in my family.  Personally I stay out of political discussions, but of those I’ve heard the conversations are civil. I guess it’s because I don’t kick it with hardcore lefties or righties. 

At this point, I dont think there are many left who aren't a "hardcore lefty or rightie."  Moderates are largely dead.  The chasm between the two sides is a mile wide.  If your circles are different, enjoy it.  It's not common. 

2 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Down here in the south it is how you describe and people who are seemingly rational people otherwise really have an incapability of listening to the other side when it comes to politics.And this has gotten much worse since Trump became president. I've heard so many conspiracy theories it makes me want to throw up.

That's how it is here in Texas too.  And "news" media pushes those conspiracy theories.  

6 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

At this point, I dont think there are many left who aren't a "hardcore lefty or rightie."  Moderates are largely dead.  The chasm between the two sides is a mile wide.  If your circles are different, enjoy it.  It's not common. 

Most people who get lumped into the "moderate" category typically have their own extreme political views. They just get categorized as such because their views don't neatly fit the definitions of either "left" or "right."

Here's one example: (And no, I can't take credit for it.) Let's say you love dogs but hate cats. If you were participating in a survey and those were the only two questions, you'd give cats a 1 or whatever the lowest score happens to be, and conversely, you'd give dogs the highest rating. That would seemingly make you extreme on either side of the spectrum if your answers were taken individually. If they were averaged together, however, you'd appear to be moderate in your feelings about house pets--even though that really doesn't accurately assess the strength of said feelings either way.

Everyone is a moderate on some things, but no one is a moderate on everything. 

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Most people who get lumped into the "moderate" category typically have their own extreme political views. They just get categorized as such because their views don't neatly fit the definitions of either "left" or "right."

Here's one example: (And no, I can't take credit for it.) Let's say you love dogs but hate cats. If you were participating in a survey and those were the only two questions, you'd give cats a 1 or whatever the lowest score happens to be, and conversely, you'd give dogs the highest rating. That would seemingly make you extreme on either side of the spectrum if your answers were taken individually. If they were averaged together, however, you'd appear to be moderate in your feelings about house pets--even though that really doesn't accurately assess the strength of said feelings either way.

Everyone is a moderate on some things, but no one is a moderate on everything. 

Its a good example .....

Almost everyone thinks they are a moderate, that their opinions are reasonible and those that don't agree with them are extreme .....

It's hilarious how many folks on nationals are "moderate" ......

4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Its a good example .....

Almost everyone thinks they are a moderate, that their opinions are reasonible and those that don't agree with them are extreme .....

It's hilarious how many folks on nationals are "moderate" ......

I don’t know that’s it’s necessarily agreement or disagreement. For me the extremists are those who think republicans are always right and never wrong and vice versa. No true moderate believes either side are always right.  Personally I hate labels , but if you have to use one. I would say someone who’s pro choice and also believes in the death penalty would the definition of a moderate. 😊

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I don’t know that’s it’s necessarily agreement or disagreement. For me the extremists are those who think republicans are always right and never wrong and vice versa. No true moderate believes either side are always right.  Personally I hate labels , but if you have to use one. I would say someone who’s pro choice and also believes in the death penalty would the definition of a moderate. 😊

I tend to think of someone like that as a hypocrite as opposed to a moderate .....

1 minute ago, Eastside Terp said:

I tend to think of someone like that as a hypocrite as opposed to a moderate .....

Of course you would, instead of seeing a person who agrees with both a conservative view and a liberal view. I’m not at all surprised. 

9 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Actually, I think the liberal and conservative sides are the hypocrites.  The liberal believes it is ok to terminate an unborn life but believes the state doing the same as a penalty is wrong.  Hypocrite.  The conservative believes the unborn life is sacred and should never be terminated, yet finds it ok to put down an already existing life as a penalty.  Hypocrite.

And with that I believe we are way off topic and I don't want to further hijack the thread and make it a nationals argument.  Just wanted to say my piece.  

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Of course you would, instead of seeing a person who agrees with both a conservative view and a liberal view. I’m not at all surprised. 

Sorry, but I don't going around keeping score on so called liberal or conservative viewpoints and judging people on that ....

If that works for you, good .....

I believe in consistency in principles and core values...

On 5/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, Pickle20 said:

I just want to stop hearing about this crap.

Spot on! The simple solution is to respect your country for 90 seconds. It’s not difficult. If ya can’t do it, move.

On 6/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, Slidemaster said:

Are things appreciably different in your circles? Do you have liberal and conservative friends who hang out together and can discuss politics in a civil and mutually beneficial way?  Because everyone that I know who is invested in politics looks at the other side like they're the bad guy in a marvel movie.

This is the world I live in too. My undergrad degree is in Poli-Sci. For four years, we had fantastic debates and classroom discussions. Often those discussions spilled out into the halls, after the classes ended. Then folks from other classes would walk by, hear a comment, and join the conversation. My lasting memory, is that the conversations were calm, paced and respectful. No yelling, and generally no cutting someone off, just so that you could talk. Everyone got their time. Aside from occasionally getting together with former classmates, I don't think I've had a political discussion since I graduated. I can't interact with people who talk politics. It's all screaming and insulting each other. No one listens, no one considers opposing viewpoints.

Here's an example. I was sitting around with several close friends. Within the larger group, there were smaller sub-set conversations going on. A friend yelled over to me, and asked if I believed the government's role should include blah, blah,blah. I said it was a complicated subject with multiple facets to consider. He barked back, "No, you're wrong, it's either yes or no, and only one of those answers is correct". This was a close friend, I'm the godfather to one of his children. Even in this situation, between close friends, the venom was viscous.    

45 minutes ago, weird-O said:

This is the world I live in too. My undergrad degree is in Poli-Sci. For four years, we had fantastic debates and classroom discussions. Often those discussions spilled out into the halls, after the classes ended. Then folks from other classes would walk by, hear a comment, and join the conversation. My lasting memory, is that the conversations were calm, paced and respectful. No yelling, and generally no cutting someone off, just so that you could talk. Everyone got their time. Aside from occasionally getting together with former classmates, I don't think I've had a political discussion since I graduated. I can't interact with people who talk politics. It's all screaming and insulting each other. No one listens, no one considers opposing viewpoints.

Here's an example. I was sitting around with several close friends. Within the larger group, there were smaller sub-set conversations going on. A friend yelled over to me, and asked if I believed the government's role should include blah, blah,blah. I said it was a complicated subject with multiple facets to consider. He barked back, "No, you're wrong, it's either yes or no, and only one of those answers is correct". This was a close friend, I'm the godfather to one of his children. Even in this situation, between close friends, the venom was viscous.    

Yep.  I've had the same experience with close family.  They believe in "picking a side," and actually take great personal pride in never changing their mind because in their mind it shows how deeply they stick to their principles.  I've had people call the oppossite side and everyone who identifies with them "evil."  In fact it isn't uncommon.

That is the world current news media has created.  We play politics like a team sport, and I can't ever see it changing.

Edited by Slidemaster

True but that of in the Trump Presidency created chaos. And really need to let the politicians do what they do. Athletes just stick to their jobs. And playing sports.

On 6/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, JPPT1974 said:

True but that of in the Trump Presidency created chaos. And really need to let the politicians do what they do. Athletes just stick to their jobs. And playing sports.

I think that if we're willing to tell athletes they shouldn't voice their opinion, then we should hold everybody who isn't a politician to the same standard. They have every right that you or I do to voice a political position.

15 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

I think that if we're willing to tell athletes they shouldn't voice their opinion, then we should hold everybody who isn't a politician to the same standard. They have every right that you or I do to voice a political position.

If you add the simple qualifier "on their own time", I am in full agreement.  Employers can - and in some cases must - prohibit some actions at the workplace.  

2 hours ago, Struds said:

If you add the simple qualifier "on their own time", I am in full agreement.  Employers can - and in some cases must - prohibit some actions at the workplace.  

You are correct, but it gets tricky then regarding what is a violation amendment rights.  I think that's what we're seeing here - what is legal and what isn't?  The NFL wouldn't be the first business to get in trouble for trying to enforce personal beliefs with their employees.

10 hours ago, Struds said:

The Hatch Act is an example of this. Federal employees, and State employee who's agencies are funded by the Feds can't, for the most part, work on political campaigns even on their own time.

Most if the Caps want to go to the White House....

All of the Russians do :) .....

Evgeny Kuznetsov (Russian): “Yeah, it is cool for sure. Why you should not go, right? Like, we can see president, that is a huge privilege, even if it is not the president of my country, but still for me, it is a big privilege.”

Alex Ovechkin (Russian): “Yeah, looking forward. Can’t wait. I’ve never been there. Only taken pictures around it. It will be fun.”

Dmitry Orlov (Russian): “Yeah, if we’re going to be invited then yeah, why not? I don’t see any problems going to White House. I think it is kind of traditional right now, and I think it will be pretty cool to see the White House.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2018/06/13/most-capitals-say-they-will-visit-the-white-house-after-winning-the-stanley-cup/?utm_term=.a8091542f9a8