Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Chrissy

238 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, pitbull said:

Absolutely mind-boggling!

Its a well-known fact that Peter Angelos canned arguably the best announcer in the game, Jon Miller, for not bleeding Black & Orange. Wonder if Jim Palmer will suffer the same fate.

Thinking the same thing especially since Petey was the one who wanted Davis to remain in Baltimore. For once he opened the checkbook and bid against himself. 

13 hours ago, pitbull said:

So, all that crap Davis said about working on his bunting and going the opposite way was a lie?

We know for sure that he lied about working with Coolbaugh all through the off season. When asked yesterday, after Palmer's comments. He said he and Davis got together 3 times, over the winter. When Davis was asked how many times (also after Palmer's comments) he said they got together 3 times a week, every week. As for making adjustments, Dempsey and Palmer aren't the only two people saying that Davis is going up there with the exact same approach, as he always has. So it would appear that he also lied about that.  

12 hours ago, pitbull said:

Absolutely mind-boggling!

Its a well-known fact that Peter Angelos canned arguably the best announcer in the game, Jon Miller, for not bleeding Black & Orange. Wonder if Jim Palmer will suffer the same fate.

Since Palmer has always been willing to share his criticisms of the team, I think he's safe. But it's worth noting that he has some mysterious immunity from the Angelos demands of toeing the company line. 

Here's an interesting comment from Peter Schmuck

Still, Palmer is echoing a lot of frustrated fans who, along with a lot of the media, pushed the Orioles to sign Davis to a giant contract over two years ago and now see him as the most dysfunctional component of a very broken team.

I really have to question Schmuck on this one. I realize that he's a beat writer, and is likely to have his finger better positioned on the pulse of the fan base, than dorky old me, who spends hours in a chat room. But I feel like I have a pretty clear memory of that off season, especially regarding the Davis negotiations. And I don't recall many fans or members of the media clambering for Davis to be retained. In fact, my memory is that it was the opposite. I commuted at the time, and had XM. So I listened to a lot of MLB radio. Every analyst I heard, said the O's shouldn't get bogged down with Davis. Make an offer, give him a fair amount of time to accept, then move on. Don't wait all winter for him, and don't get into a bidding war.

17 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Since Palmer has always been willing to share his criticisms of the team, I think he's safe. But it's worth noting that he has some mysterious immunity from the Angelos demands of toeing the company line. 

I've always wondered about that, too.  Palmer tells it as it is.  He is the Anti-Jim Hunter.

Sometimes I think they're more scared of how honest Palmer might really become should they let him go. He's not just media guy who took a job here to be an announcer or analyst, and could turn around tomorrow and do the same job in Seattle. He's a franchise icon and very active in the area... fire him for telling the truth, and there's a good chance he'll start telling more of the truth. Even louder. :)

4 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Sometimes I think they're more scared of how honest Palmer might really become should they let him go. He's not just media guy who took a job here to be an announcer or analyst, and could turn around tomorrow and do the same job in Seattle. He's a franchise icon and very active in the area... fire him for telling the truth, and there's a good chance he'll start telling more of the truth. Even louder. :)

Another reason they don't want to fire him...he's the best pitcher they have.  :lol:

(hat tip...this joke belongs to one of my co-workers)

29 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I really have to question Schmuck on this one. I realize that he's a beat writer, and is likely to have his finger better positioned on the pulse of the fan base, than dorky old me, who spends hours in a chat room. But I feel like I have a pretty clear memory of that off season, especially regarding the Davis negotiations. And I don't recall many fans or members of the media clambering for Davis to be retained. In fact, my memory is that it was the opposite. I commuted at the time, and had XM. So I listened to a lot of MLB radio. Every analyst I heard, said the O's shouldn't get bogged down with Davis. Make an offer, give him a fair amount of time to accept, then move on. Don't wait all winter for him, and don't get into a bidding war.

Personally I wanted him to be re-signed, but not for the deal he got or some of the numbers before the Orioles outbid themselves.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

DD did just what you said.  Put a more than fair offer out there, then pulled it off the table when Davis/Boras showed their greed.  Then he traded for Trumbo and was ready to move on, except the idiot brigade of the Angelos 3, Brady and Buck intervened.  Rest is putrid history.

I think the educated fan and analysts were on this that it was a bad deal for the O's with Davis' past history of massive slumps and drug suspension.  But I have several friends who are casual fans who were all over Davis coming back no matter the cost.  All they remembered was the Krusher mashing 47 dingers (most the last 2/3 of the season) and we couldn't live without him.  He was barely hitting .200 through May of 2015 and I remember most everyone on this board was done with him. Especially since he hit .196 the year before. The O's braintrust made this decision just like they were Joe 6 pack who watches a handful of games every year, digs the longball, but are "die hard" O's fans.

Anyone see any quotes from Buck on this Palmer call-out???   Or is the Baltimore media too afraid to ask him since he is complicit in this lie.  He has enables the Krusher to do whatever the Krusher wants.  Its a disgrace that he is still the manager of this train wreck.

19 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Anyone see any quotes from Buck on this Palmer call-out???   Or is the Baltimore media too afraid to ask him since he is complicit in this lie.  He has enables the Krusher to do whatever the Krusher wants.  Its a disgrace that he is still the manager of this train wreck.

He didn't address the lie about working with Coolbaugh all winter. He just offered a lot of manager speak, about how hard Davis is working, and how tough it is on him. 

8 minutes ago, weird-O said:

He didn't address the lie about working with Coolbaugh all winter. He just offered a lot of manager speak, about how hard Davis is working, and how tough it is on him. 

Oh yeah and the excuse that Chrissy has all this pressure because of the big contract.  We could all be that lucky to have 161mil worth of pressure.  Buck has turned into a running joke with his babble to cover "his guys".  Inmates running the asylum here.  That's the bottom line.  Buck has zero and I mean zero discipline or accountability unless the guy is a scrub rule 5er or is a Norfolk buser.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Oh yeah and the excuse that Chrissy has all this pressure because of the big contract.  We could all be that lucky to have 161mil worth of pressure.  Buck has turned into a running joke with his babble to cover "his guys".  Inmates running the asylum here.  That's the bottom line.  Buck has zero and I mean zero discipline or accountability unless the guy is a scrub rule 5er or is a Norfolk buser.

Is anyone in the Baltimore media calling for Buck to be fired??

I mean it is beyond a complete joke at this point that he’s still the ‘manager’ of this dumpster fire.

This organization is a embarrassment from top to bottom 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Nice of Palmer and Dempsey them to refer to Davis’s inability to hit as a slump. Maybe he just sucks.

17 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Is anyone in the Baltimore media calling for Buck to be fired??

I mean it is beyond a complete joke at this point that he’s still the ‘manager’ of this dumpster fire.

This organization is a embarrassment from top to bottom 

This.  Buck has the local media scared to ask any hard questions or to question anything he does for that matter.  Its such a joke.  Any other organization would of sent Buck, Tilly and Rasmus packing a couple weeks ago.   Too bad they can't invent a mystery injury for the manager.  Buck could use some time down in the Gulf Coast league to find himself :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Nice of Palmer and Dempsey them to refer to Davis’s inability to hit as a slump. Maybe he just sucks.

Yeah or can't see or has some other medical issue with his ADHD.  Yeah that crack Baltimore media is really asking the hard questions.  Palmer is the only one and I mean only one that has stood up.  

Guy is hitting .152 for 2 months and Buck and the media think he is close, just a slump. :lol:

Dempsey referred to it as a ‘two year slump’! Uh, no.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

LOL, He may be done. Career ending slump.  That we will watch for 4 1/2 more years.  Brady, Buck and Krusher.  

32 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

So true. A slump doesn't stretch over multiple seasons. At least, not that I can remember. 

16 minutes ago, weird-O said:

So true. A slump doesn't stretch over multiple seasons. At least, not that I can remember. 

Tillman is also in a two year slump.

12 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

You can never have enough of those types :(

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Personally I wanted him to be re-signed, but not for the deal he got or some of the numbers before the Orioles outbid themselves.

I (sadly) did too.  I raised my eyebrows at the O's first offer, but that was the tail-end of the MLB trend of overpaying sluggers, so I figured it was high but OK.  When they bid against themselves and jacked it up to the ridiculous amount he accepted, I was no longer in favor of it.  Unfortunately it has turned out  to be the worst contract in O's history; I honestly never saw that coming.

Posted (edited)

I don't expect Buck to publicly criticize Davis any more than I expect any other head coach in any sport to talk poorly about his own players to the media.  It accomplishes nothing other than earning the distrust of the rest of the players in the clubhouse.

The only criticism / action that I do want to see out of Buck is how he handles Davis on game days.  Sitting him more often, giving him a couple days off to do nothing but cage work / film study / harsh introspection.  :)  Batting him way down in the order, where you would normally bat a player hitting under .200 with an otherworldly strikeout rate.  His huge contract guarantees his spot on the club it seems, and for years to come most likely.  It should NOT however guarantee an every-day, middle-of-the-order role... not until he does something to EARN that back.

But like Ubaldo (out of baseball right now), and Tillman, and Joseph (hitting a big .227 at AAA by the way), and Reimold (out of the majors at 32), and many others... Buck slaps the fans in the face, and oh-by-the-way hurts the team in the process, by continually "putting faith" in a guy based on what he did years ago, or what he thinks he might do... and continuing to feature him in a way more befitting an actual consistently productive player.

Edited by Ravens2006

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Its called, "Washed Up".

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Its called "Washed Up".