Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Chrissy

206 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pitbull said:

It is well past time for the Angelos Family to do the right thing & release Davis. I can’t imagime they’d want this bum in the lineup for another 4 years???

Now I have this morbid curiosity to see what his 50% strikeout rate can do over an entire season. 

13 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Now I have this morbid curiosity to see what his 50% strikeout rate can do over an entire season. 

Chrissy got a broken bat single today so Buck will have his son in the line up for the next week or so. Buck is like the little league coach who thinks his son is really good, but everyone else sees he should be playing soccer.

I want to see Chrissy hit .139, 225ks for the year with 500ABs.  It will be historic in terms of stench. 

On 6/9/2018 at 0:52 AM, johnpolitics said:

I would send him to Triple A and leave him there until he agreed to a buyout.

I think that’s where we are we are headed.  Maybe we could send him to single A, where it’s even rougher.

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Chrissy got a broken bat single today so Buck will have his son in the line up for the next week or so. Buck is like the little league coach who thinks his son is really good, but everyone else sees he should be playing soccer.

I want to see Chrissy hit .139, 225ks for the year with 500ABs.  It will be historic in terms of stench. 

They use to use the Mendoza line as a barometer of futility but Davis is going to set an all time, "new" standard for "stench", as you put it.  It's a place where only pitchers have dared to dwell, not every day players.  The decent thing to do if ownership had any integrity is tell Davis he's about to be released but give him the option to retire from the game on his terms and just admit he can't concentrate on the ball anymore.  I think most fans would be more understanding from that perspective than to continually have him and Showalter act like this will eventually pass. 

I want him to set the season record for futility.  I want him to he the crown jewel of the Angelos years.

5 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

They use to use the Mendoza line as a barometer of futility but Davis is going to set an all time, "new" standard for "stench", as you put it.  It's a place where only pitchers have dared to dwell, not every day players.  The decent thing to do if ownership had any integrity is tell Davis he's about to be released but give him the option to retire from the game on his terms and just admit he can't concentrate on the ball anymore.  I think most fans would be more understanding from that perspective than to continually have him and Showalter act like this will eventually pass. 

You hit the nail on the head - "can't concentrate on the ball anymore".  I've said it numerous times he was in this same place (not quite as bad) in 2014.  He admitted the ball was just a blur.  He was off his Adderall.  Back on it in 2015 and had a great year and cashed 161mil lottery ticket from dumb Pete.  There is something medically wrong with him related to his ADHD.  Has to be.  He has been in a steady decline since 2016 when he should be in his prime. God we are screwed with this anchor.

Just now, CROUSEMAN said:

You hit the nail on the head - "can't concentrate on the ball anymore".  I've said it numerous times he was in this same place (not quite as bad) in 2014.  He admitted the ball was just a blur.  He was off his Adderall.  Back on it in 2015 and had a great year and cashed 161mil lottery ticket from dumb Pete.  There is something medically wrong with him related to his ADHD.  Has to be.  He has been in a steady decline since 2016 when he should be in his prime. God we are screwed with this anchor.

BTW he was hitting .196 when he was suspended in late 2014.  Wish someone would ask the team about this.  Where ya at Roch???  LOL!!!

37 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

The decent thing to do if ownership had any integrity is tell Davis he's about to be released but give him the option to retire from the game on his terms and just admit he can't concentrate on the ball anymore.

Makes sense as a reasonable course of action.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I know we trash him on the forum unmercifully and some of it is justified but a part of me does feel sorry for him.  I know he's filthy rich and shouldn't really have any worries in the world but just from an ego and professional pride standpoint, he must be going through hell right now.  Personally, if he got up in front of the mic tomorrow and admitted he just can't see the ball anymore and that he's thinking about retirement, I would respect him for it.  At least it would be better than this ridiculous charade of him and the team, with Buck as the ringmaster, trying to pretend this is just a temporary problem. 

I feel awful for him.

I'm a hockey player.

Not at a high level, but I play a lot and feel driven to play well.

When I don't, it really bothers me.

When it's completely gone, I'm gonna be devastated 

Not because I'm being paid -- obviously, I'm not! -- but that's the competitive nature of anyone  who plays a sport.

You almost fear sucking more than you enjoy playing well.

These guys are competitors at the 99.99th percentile of the population.

They've been the fiercest competitors since they were little boys.

Davis has got to be really hurting inside.

He's completely lost it and he probably knows it.

I know he's made a ton of money, so it's not as if the rest of his life is ruined.

But to know how badly he must feel really makes the spectacle hard to witness.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

hit the nail on the head

Chris Davis probably couldn't

30 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

I feel awful for him.

I'm a hockey player.

Not because I'm being paid -- obviously, I'm not! -- but that's the competitive nature of anyone  who plays a sport.

I know he's made a ton of money, so it's not as if the rest of his life is ruined.

And he may feel bad because, deep down inside, he knows he's stealing $23 million a year.

I almost wonder if there isn't something unknown going on with Davis, sort of like Lou Gehrig during his final season when he had trouble getting the ball out of the infield.

Now, understand, I am not comparing Chris Davis the player to Lou Gehrig, nor would I ever wish anyone a fate that horrible. Unlike Gehrig, Davis has been bad before, just never this bad. But when all other explanations fail, it does lead one to think that something insidious could be going on undetected. Players decline, but they typically don't lose it that quickly and completely. 

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I almost wonder if there isn't something unknown going on with Davis, sort of like Lou Gehrig during his final season when he had trouble getting the ball out of the infield.

Now, understand, I am not comparing Chris Davis the player to Lou Gehrig, nor would I ever wish anyone a fate that horrible. Unlike Gehrig, Davis has been bad before, just never this bad. But when all other explanations fail, it does lead one to think that something insidious could be going on undetected. Players decline, but they typically don't lose it that quickly and completely. 

Not typically, but it does happen.  Usually though, it's with players who are pushing 40, not Davis' age.  

I would be curious to see what Chrissy's live batting practice sessions look like.  Can he even hit 85mph meatballs and weak breaking stuff?   Does he even still have any power left to bomb batting practice stuff?

54 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I would be curious to see what Chrissy's live batting practice sessions look like.  Can he even hit 85mph meatballs and weak breaking stuff?   Does he even still have any power left to bomb batting practice stuff?

Good point. Do they even throw 85 mph in batting practice?

Just now, pitbull said:

Good point. Do they even throw 85 mph in batting practice?

Not sure.  But the O's have to be doing something to try and diagnose Chrissy;s problem.  Of course Buck kept saying how good Tillman was looking.  And we all know he is just plain washed up.  I guess Chrissy could just be washed up as well.  I have no doubt Tillman was putting the work in, his shoulder just worn out.  But I have my doubts about Chrissy.  He really seems as stubborn and obtuse as his Daddy Buck.  Just keep doing the same ole same ole.  Cause I can do whatever I want cause I have the golden lottery ticket.  I'm untouchable.   

Posted (edited)

I doubt Davis doesn't care. I'm fairly sure it bugs him and he wishes he were performing better. But Buck is the one putting his name in the lineup every day, and most of the time fairly high in the order.

As a supposedly well respected manager, and for the good of the TEAM, Buck should be leaving him on the bench until he's shown something to justify more plate time... a swing change? A lot of cage time that's showing signs of improvement? A minor league assignment to prove he can hit .250 off AAA pitching for 2 weeks? It's not doing anyone any favors the way Buck has handled this... and he's the one person who CAN force the situation.

Edited by Ravens2006

4 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I doubt Davis doesn't care. I'm fairly sure it bugs him and he wishes he were performing better. But Buck is the one putting his name in the lineup every day, and most of the time fairly high in the order.

As a supposedly well respected manager, and for the good of the TEAM, Buck should be leaving him on the bench until he's shown something to justify more plate time... a swing change? A lot of cage time that's showing signs of improvement? A minor league assignment to prove he can hit .250 off AAA pitching for 2 weeks? It's not doing anyone any favors the way Buck has handled this... and he's the one person who CAN force the situation.

What the buck are you saying

I think it was Friday night too where Buck in the postgame once again, while talking to Thorne, lamented how guys "who have done it before" just weren't clicking. You hear the same things out of Duquette and have the last couple years... they're always waiting on guys with a track record to recapture their past glory. Which is fine when a guy has struggled for a weeks or months. Maybe had a bad year even.

But when your track record was good 2, 3, or 4 years ago... let's really stop focusing on the past so much and give more weight to the present reality. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

I feel awful for him.

I'm a hockey player.

this may be true for many pro athletes. But Davis isn't the person you've described. I feel that way, because of the Coolbaugh story, and other things that have been written. A struggling player that wants to return to form, seeks out help. Davis hasn't done that. He has actually rejected help. He's going at it alone, his way. He stubbornly digging in, and swinging harder, because he thinks that will set things right. And that makes him O's enemy #1 in my eyes. 

14 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

I want him to set the season record for futility.  I want him to he the crown jewel of the Angelos years.

I want to see him continue to flail away, and maintain this level of futility. But I want to see the 2019 Chris Davis drop to a level that's so laughable, that he looks to this season and thinks, "Man, if I could only get back to hitting in the mid-.100's, that would be sweet". I would love to see his 2019 mid-Sept. BA in the .040 range. 

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

this may be true for many pro athletes. But Davis isn't the person you've described. I feel that way, because of the Coolbaugh story, and other things that have been written. A struggling player that wants to return to form, seeks out help. Davis hasn't done that. He has actually rejected help. He's going at it alone, his way. He stubbornly digging in, and swinging harder, because he thinks that will set things right. And that makes him O's enemy #1 in my eyes. 

That's the way it seems.  For Chris, at least tell the fans how terrible you feel about you're doing to the team/franchise.  That might help him gain some favor; but until then just boo him which might eventually nudge him towards buyout.

15 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

That's the way it seems.  For Chris, at least tell the fans how terrible you feel about you're doing to the team/franchise.  That might help him gain some favor; but until then just boo him which might eventually nudge him towards buyout.

I would be shocked beyond belief, if he retired, or asked out of his contract. He's an arrogant, entitled athlete. He isn't going to be swayed by boo birds. Nope, I don't believe Davis is voluntarily going anywhere