Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Chrissy

238 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I would be shocked beyond belief, if he retired, or asked out of his contract. He's an arrogant, entitled athlete. He isn't going to be swayed by boo birds. Nope, I don't believe Davis is voluntarily going anywhere 

I think that would be the only viable possibility. I went back and found examples of several guys who did step away with time still to run on their contracts--Ryne Sandberg, Gil Meche--but they did so on their terms.

The MLBPA obviously can't stop athletes from walking away from the game, but I don't think for a minute they'd permit a player to give money back.

Edited by mdrunning

7 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I think that would be the only viable possibility. I went back and found examples of several guys who did so--Ryne Sandberg, Gil Meche--but they did it on their terms.

The MLBPA obviously can't stop athletes from walking away from the game, but I don't think for a minute they'd permit a player to give money back.

Agreed, the Union would never allow a reduced salary. 

A DFA with no waiver claim would allow the team to send him to the minors.  But, because you run the risk of someone claiming him and paying the minimum, while the Orioles pick up the rest of the tab, it'll never happen.  Could you imagine the Angelos head explosion if Davis went somewhere else on his dime and re-found his old form?

Last 23 games for Chris Davis:   AB- 83   H-10    .AVG- .121    HR- 0    K's- 40

Buck Showalter:  "Chris is going to keep working and hopefully he can find the answer."  

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Last 23 games for Chris Davis:   AB- 83   H-10    .AVG- .121    HR- 0    K's- 40

Buck Showalter:  "Chris is going to keep working and hopefully he can find the answer."  

Good, work in the tunnels, in batting practice, off a tee, whatever... just stop trying to find the answer using real major league at bats...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

A DFA with no waiver claim would allow the team to send him to the minors.  But, because you run the risk of someone claiming him and paying the minimum, while the Orioles pick up the rest of the tab, it'll never happen.  Could you imagine the Angelos head explosion if Davis went somewhere else on his dime and re-found his old form?

He'll never find his top form in my opinion. He had two good long stretches that were WAY above what his otherwise career norms were. At this point I'd be content if he were just an overpaid .250 hitter that still walks at a decent clip and hits around 25-30 HRs. 

Edited by Ravens2006

2 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

He'll never find his top form in my opinion. He had two good long stretches that were WAY above what his otherwise career norms were. At this point I'd be content if he were just an overpaid .250 hitter that still walks at a decent clip and hits around 25-30 HRs. 

Maybe he's doing poorly on purpose. That way the Orioles eventually drop him; he still gets paid and can go to any team he chooses providing said teams take a chance on him for minimum salary. ;)

Last night was a good one...0-5/3 K's as his average begins to dive below the .150 mark.  I heard that on one of his strikeouts, he was starting at 3rd base, 2nd base and 1st base simultaneously.   On the last one, he just closed his eyes, incapable of accepting what was about to happen. 

Posted (edited)

31/207 = 0.1497584541062802

Thank God for rounding, because that would just be embarrassing, otherwise.

Edited by Thirteen

Ken Wyman is a fill in guy on the Fan. Today someone texted in that the O's line up is so anemic, they should just let Davis play full time and work his way through his slump. Wyman went on a tirade, saying 1.5+ seasons, isn't a slump, it's who a player is. Man, was he fired up. I loved it, I felt like he was speaking for all of us.  

On 6/11/2018 at 0:47 PM, jamesdean said:

Showalter has gone from a Stubborn Buck to Dumb Buck. Pretty sure he’s finished as a manager 

2 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Showalter has gone from a Stubborn Buck to Dumb Buck. Pretty sure he’s finished as a manager 

What should the manager say instead? “He sux & he’s a huge reason our team is garbage.”

25 minutes ago, pitbull said:

What should the manager say instead? “He sux & he’s a huge reason our team is garbage.”

Sometimes, actions sppeak louder than words.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:19 AM, weird-O said:

I don't know if I've posted my theory on this, so here goes. 

Here's what we know for sure. Manny had his agent contact the O's and propose a deal for a long term extension that included buying out his remaining arb. years. The O's didn't respond to the offer. A year or so later, they sign Davis. We know that Pete personally handled those negotiations, and we know that Buck played a very active role i keeping his neighbor in Baltimore. 

Based on that info, here's my theory. Since he came to Baltimore, DD has always seemed like a reactive GM, rather than a proactive GM.I get the sense that he never looks beyond the immediate. For example, they didn't resign Cruz, because they had Davis. Rather than looking a season or two into the future and realize that Cruz will be a less expensive power hitter that will allow you to let Davis walk, if his asking price is prohibitive. I think they took that same approach with Manny. Davis was the immediate, pending FA, Manny was under control for a couple more seasons, focus on Davis, and get to Manny when his contract is done. 

Now, if the O's had stayed competitive all this time, maybe that approach would have worked. After all, Manny obviously wanted to stay. But that's not how things played out. The O's are an historically bad team now. Even if the O's call Manny and ask him what figure they should write on their contract offer, he's not going to stay now. And, from what I understand, being an all star caliber FA is a very fun experience. You have several people contacting you, everyone is flattering and praising you. People fly to meet you, and take you to fantastic dinners. Maybe fly you to a wonderful paradise like place, and paint the town red. It's a multi-month ego stroke. It's unlikely that a player is going to forsake all that, and instead, immediately sign with their old team. 

I've seen that as well, but the details have always been sketchy. I've also seen where the Orioles did initiate extension talks with Manny several years ago, but the two sides were so far apart, the talks were ultimately tabled. Again, few details were available.

I've wondered if the term "extension" isn't being used in the proper context in some of these reports. Did Manny propose, or did the Orioles propose, a contract which would have actually deferred his right to walk for at least several years? Or, was it similar to what Washington did with Bryce Harper, in that they simply bought out his remaining arbitration years?

I remember seeing at least one headline which read, "Harper Agrees to Extension With Nats," or something to that effect, about two years ago. My first reaction was "Holy Cow," until I actually read the piece and saw that the two sides had simply agreed to terms for his remaining two arbitration eligible years. That's not an extension at all.

I'm beginning to think that Manny may have been amenable to a similar arrangement: one which eliminated the arbitration process, but still allowed him to hit free agency at the earliest possible time.

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I've seen that as well, but the details have always been sketchy. I've also seen where the Orioles did initiate extension talks with Manny several years ago, but the two sides were so far apart, the talks were ultimately tabled. Again, few details were available.

I've wondered if the term "extension" isn't being used in the proper context in some of these reports. Did Manny propose, or did the Orioles propose, a contract which would have actually deferred his right to walk for at least several years? Or, was it similar to what Washington did with Bryce Harper, in that they simply bought out his remaining arbitration years?

I remember seeing at least one headline which read, "Harper Agrees to Extension With Nats," or something to that effect, about two years ago. My first reaction was "Holy Cow," until I actually read the piece and saw that the two sides had simply agreed to terms for his remaining two arbitration eligible years. That's not an extension at all.

I'm beginning to think that Manny may have been amenable to a similar arrangement: one which eliminated the arbitration process, but still allowed him to hit free agency at the earliest possible time.

From what I read, the two sides were off by $10M. I assume it was a total of $10M and not a per year difference. I agree that word play has been used to muddy the story, like the Harper deal. For what it's worth, I fully got the impression that Manny approached the team with a true extension, that would have gone beyond his arb. years. One day that story will be told, probably after he signs with his next team. Assuming that DD is gone this Oct, the beat writers won't have any reason to hold back on giving the full scoop. Unless it was a member(s) of the Angelos family that crippled the deal, then it will be up to a national writer, like Rosenthal. You know he's chomping at the bit to write a scathing piece on the principle owner blowing an opportunity to lock down a probable HOF player. But I have to admit, I've become less suspicious of KR's vendetta against Pete, since his recent articles seem to be on the money, and have been supported by the actors in the stories.

Posted (edited)

Here's what I would do...play Davis every day. Bat him 9th. Move him around the field as needed. Make him as uncomfortable as possible. He's going to hit .120 or something embarrassingly awful this year, and next year, and as long as he continues to play. I doubt any person would continue to fail that badly on a national stage. He'll retire, either at the end of this year or next. But he's not lasting this full contract. No way. So it's in the best interest to get him to retire and negotiate some kind of buy out. I'm thinking you can possibly save 70¢ on the dollar on the remaining money owed to him that way.

Edited by Pickle20

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

Here's what I would do...play Davis every day. Bat him 9th. Move him around the field as needed. Make him as uncomfortable as possible. He's going to hit .120 or something embarrassingly awful this year, and next year, and as long as he continues to play. I doubt any person would continue to fail that badly on a national stage. He'll retire, either at the end of this year or next. But he's not lasting this full contract. No way. So it's in the best interest to get him to retire and negotiate some kind of buy out. I'm thinking you can possibly save 70¢ on the dollar that way on the remaining money owed to him.

The highest paid utility player in history.  When Manny gets traded, stick him at short.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Here's what I would do...play Davis every day. Bat him 9th. Move him around the field as needed. Make him as uncomfortable as possible. He's going to hit .120 or something embarrassingly awful this year, and next year, and as long as he continues to play. I doubt any person would continue to fail that badly on a national stage. He'll retire, either at the end of this year or next. But he's not lasting this full contract. No way. So it's in the best interest to get him to retire and negotiate some kind of buy out. I'm thinking you can possibly save 70¢ on the dollar on the remaining money owed to him that way.

The Union won't allow a renegotiated contract that reduces a player's earnings. They would support a renegotiation that resulted in a lower AAV, but it would have to include more years, thus, more money earned. And Buck isn't going to turn the screws on his neighbor. Chrissy is one of his guys. Buck is probably losing sleep over the fact that he's been benching him. 

5 minutes ago, weird-O said:

The Union won't allow a renegotiated contract that reduces a player's earnings. They would support a renegotiation that resulted in a lower AAV, but it would have to include more years, thus, more money earned. And Buck isn't going to turn the screws on his neighbor. Chrissy is one of his guys. Buck is probably losing sleep over the fact that he's been benching him. 

Not even if they retire?

What happens if he retires, he forfeits any future earnings, correct?

If that is the case, I am making it as hard as possible for Davis to continue playing baseball.

35 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Not even if they retire?

If that is the case, I am making it as hard as possible for Davis to continue playing baseball.

If he retires, that's his decision, and the Union would have no say. But he isn't going to do that, would you? 

If I had a contract with a company, and they were overpaying me by at least 3 times the salary I'd earn with the other competitors in my industry, they couldn't push me out the door. The team has already moved him from DH, to both COF positions, then to 1B, over to 3B, back to 1B, and that was when he was helping the team. He's an accomplished defensive player. He's proven to be at least adequate at all those positions. Do you think he'd care if they moved him to SS or CF? I don't. I think he'd take his position and do the best he can. The type of treatment it would take to make him so unhappy that he wanted to retire, would probably lead to a grievance filed by the Union.   

59 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I don't think that would help endear the O's to any future FA signers...

12 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Not even if they retire?

The Yankees tried that with A-Rod, and they got nowhere. There are too many protections built in, both in the collective bargaining agreement, and MLB's drug policy to allow that to happen. Just in case anyone is thinking of a PED angle, that's not going to work, since baseball's drug policy prevents teams from taking punitive action beyond the disciplinary measures the commissioner's office can impose.

Assuming the Orioles took out insurance on a contract this large, their only out would be for Davis to suffer a career-ending injury. The trigger on the insurance policy would allow them to recoup a significant portion of the money. 

That's awesome :lol: