OsStrosNattyBohs

Palmer as new Manager??

29 posts in this topic

In my opinion I would love to see him replace Buck next year...he's arguably the greatest Oriole ever, and will obviously have respect from newer/younger players for what he accomplished as a player.

I also think he would bring more of an old school approach to the Orioles, and actual hold the players accountable for things like hitting .152 and having a 10.38 ERA!!! The way Buck has handle the past 2+ years, I just don't see how you can come back from this...starting with the Britton playoff debacle, then the Red Sox punking us by throwing at Manny as many times as they saw fit, with little to no retaliation on our part, because Buck doesn't believe in that sort of stuff...don't get me wrong, I think throwing at guys is stupid, but it's more about principle than anything else in my opinion...if Chris Sale is going to throw at your best players head twice with a 98 mph fastball, and your manager doesn't believe in protecting that player (Manny), then the manager is going to loose alot of respect from players in the clubhouse, bottom line.

I said it when all that craziness was going on, you think Palmer/Earl Weaver would have let that happen to Manny?? Absolutely not.

Palmer should be hired as the new manager, i mean the guy has been a member of every World Series team this franchise has ever won!!

14 minutes ago, OsStrosNattyBohs said:

In my opinion I would love to see him replace Buck next year...he's arguably the greatest Oriole ever, and will obviously have respect from newer/younger players for what he accomplished as a player.

I also think he would bring more of an old school approach to the Orioles, and actual hold the players accountable for things like hitting .152 and having a 10.38 ERA!!! The way Buck has handle the past 2+ years, I just don't see how you can come back from this...starting with the Britton playoff debacle, then the Red Sox punking us by throwing at Manny as many times as they saw fit, with little to no retaliation on our part, because Buck doesn't believe in that sort of stuff...don't get me wrong, I think throwing at guys is stupid, but it's more about principle than anything else in my opinion...if Chris Sale is going to throw at your best players head twice with a 98 mph fastball, and your manager doesn't believe in protecting that player (Manny), then the manager is going to loose alot of respect from players in the clubhouse, bottom line.

I said it when all that craziness was going on, you think Palmer/Earl Weaver would have let that happen to Manny?? Absolutely not.

Palmer should be hired as the new manager, i mean the guy has been a member of every World Series team this franchise has ever won!!

I agree with your premise that we need a more hard nosed manager as Buck has grown soft.  I don't think Palmer would ever come out of the booth and we need a younger guy.

I always thought Jason Varitek would be a good candidate.  I think he is managing one of the red Sox minor league teams.  Guy knows what it takes to win and is as tough as they come.  Being a catcher he would actually know a little bit about handling a pitching staff as well.

Bottom line, ever since Buck blew the WC game in 2016, he has been god awful.  One of the worst managers in the game.  His record says so.

1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I agree with your premise that we need a more hard nosed manager as Buck has grown soft.  I don't think Palmer would ever come out of the booth and we need a younger guy.

I always thought Jason Varitek would be a good candidate.  I think he is managing one of the red Sox minor league teams.  Guy knows what it takes to win and is as tough as they come.  Being a catcher he would actually know a little bit about handling a pitching staff as well.

Bottom line, ever since Buck blew the WC game in 2016, he has been god awful.  One of the worst managers in the game.  His record says so.

I like Varitek...we just need someone who understands that sometimes the players might not like him because of his comments or actions....and that's ok

25 minutes ago, OsStrosNattyBohs said:

I like Varitek...we just need someone who understands that sometimes the players might not like him because of his comments or actions....and that's ok

Yep, Brady and Buck have screwed this up good.  Created this country club atmosphere where the vets are running the show with little to no accountability for performance. Its all about being one of Buck's guys or one of Brady's training buddies.  You would think they had one a WS or a couple of pennants to get this kind of kid glove treatment.  But they haven't won squat.  

I saw a quote from Buck over the winter or this spring that things would need to be reset this year after last year's lousy year.  Not exactly sure what that meant, but it was all lip service. Davis forces way into lead off spot, Manny forces way to SS, ect.  None of this good for the club.   Buck still the head golf pro at the Baltimore Country Club.  :D

Proof is in the pudding.  This organization is rotten from top to bottom.

Palmer would be nuts to take that job.

24 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Almost anyone that was qualified would be nuts to take the job.

I am sure the Angelos sons are thinking Ron Johnson,  Gary Kendall or Terry Crowley would be ideal candidates. They may go bold and tap Ryan Minor. 

Too old.  Knowing what the problems are also doesn't make you a good manager.

33 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

You have to be thrilled Buckeroo is staying on all year.  Playing his deadwood guys will get u 100 losses.  

7 hours ago, Manny said:

I am sure the Angelos sons are thinking Ron Johnson,  Gary Kendall or Terry Crowley would be ideal candidates. They may go bold and tap Ryan Minor. 

The next manager will be a guy in his first gig like Lee Mazzilli or a recycled guy like Hargrove. A guy like Jason V. will be a hot name but he can pick and choose. Plus do you want to go somewhere where the front office is a cluster disaster? 

Palmer has joked in the past about managing the O's but O's pitchers might not like a manager who wants you to pitch a complete game.  

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

The next manager will be a guy in his first gig like Lee Mazzilli or a recycled guy like Hargrove. A guy like Jason V. will be a hot name but he can pick and choose. Plus do you want to go somewhere where the front office is a cluster disaster? 

Palmer has joked in the past about managing the O's but O's pitchers might not like a manager who wants you to pitch a complete game.  

Varitek may be Nationals manager if they don’t take the East from your Braves. Managers have an unrealistic World Series ultimatum down there. Though I don’t agree with them shuffling through managers, it must be nice to have ownership who wants a ring. 

Palmer is 72 years old. That alone ends this conversation. But just in case that isn't enough, he's also semi-retired. Jim isn't in the booth for 162 games. Not because they don't want him there. It's because he gets to pick and choose which games he travels with the team. Then the other color guys get his leftovers. As for bringing an old school approach, current players don't respond well to the Earl Weaver method. This isn't 1972. It's now commonplace for rookies to report for their first day of instructional league, already multi-millionaires. And they're being managed by Kevin Bradshaw types, Bradshaw probably didn't earn $1M over his entire minor league career, even if you combine his player and manager salaries together. And career accomplishments don't automatically translate into players respect. Look at Ted Williams, he was despised by his players, because he expected everyone to be a talented as he was. Buck was a hard nosed manager in NY and AZ, and his players hated him. He started to soften in TX, and was liked more. Now his pendulum has swung too far into the direction of teddy bear daddy. 

6 hours ago, weird-O said:

Palmer is 72 years old. That alone ends this conversation. But just in case that isn't enough, he's also semi-retired. Jim isn't in the booth for 162 games. Not because they don't want him there. It's because he gets to pick and choose which games he travels with the team. Then the other color guys get his leftovers. As for bringing an old school approach, current players don't respond well to the Earl Weaver method. This isn't 1972. It's now commonplace for rookies to report for their first day of instructional league, already multi-millionaires. And they're being managed by Kevin Bradshaw types, Bradshaw probably didn't earn $1M over his entire minor league career, even if you combine his player and manager salaries together. And career accomplishments don't automatically translate into players respect. Look at Ted Williams, he was despised by his players, because he expected everyone to be a talented as he was. Buck was a hard nosed manager in NY and AZ, and his players hated him. He started to soften in TX, and was liked more. Now his pendulum has swung too far into the direction of teddy bear daddy. 

I agree. No one at that age wants to start a career that demanding. It would take a toll in a hurry.

Good example with Ted Williams. Frank Robinson would be another. Tremendously talented individuals who knew how to play the game and had a hard time relating to players for whom the game didn't come quite as naturally. On that basis alone, I've always thought the better managers were the Earl Weaver types, guys who either never made it as far as the majors or perhaps had a cup of coffee at best. As Dave McNally once told Earl, "The only thing you know about major-league pitching is that you couldn't hit it."

On 5/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, bmore_ken said:

Plus he's around 70 years old, what 70 year old would want to shorten his lifespan that much?

20 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

pitch a complete game.  

I call those the good old days

1 hour ago, alienrace said:

Plus he's around 70 years old, what 70 year old would want to shorten his lifespan that much?

Exactly.  Every single day I just shake my head on how Showalter subjects himself to the punishment. 

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Exactly.  Every single day I just shake my head on how Showalter subjects himself to the punishment. 

Because the check keeps clearing and they are "his guys".  Easier to bail on a team you did NOT put together. 

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

Because the check keeps clearing and they are "his guys".  Easier to bail on a team you did NOT put together. 

I hear you but man, that's some blood money there.  Just brutal. 

According to Wikipedia, Jim Palmer will be 73 this year.

TM

13 hours ago, TravisMoon said:

According to Wikipedia, Jim Palmer will be 73 this year.

TM

Jack McKeon was 72 when he replace Torberg during the season in 2003 and won a WS.

The season is over. There is no hope of even a .500 record. Just have to pray DD isn't Syd Thrift at the trade deadline. 

On 5/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, Slidemaster said:

There's a reason that a guy as knowledgeable as Palmer has never been in a coaching position.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

There's a reason that a guy as knowledgeable as Palmer has never been in a coaching position.

Yep..the same reason Frank Robinson didn't make a particularly good manager- they're expectations of players can almost never be realized. 

On 5/28/2018 at 1:05 PM, johnpolitics said:

Jack McKeon was 72 when he replace Torberg during the season in 2003 and won a WS.

The season is over. There is no hope of even a .500 record. Just have to pray DD isn't Syd Thrift at the trade deadline. 

Jack McKeon was a manager and at least a coach in baseball before.

TM

On 5/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, bmore_ken said:

Palmer plays golf and calls about 40 games a year. He doesn't need the daily grind working for a terrible owner. He knows what's up.

Palmer as manager = 162 games of Mike Bordick = not watching.